I keep reading race was a factor in the firing of Mark Jackson. Really? Was race a factor when the Warriors hired him? I mean, if they don’t want a black coach now, they would not have wanted one then. Critics of the firing cannot have it both ways. I doubt race was a factor in either case. The Dubs simply want the best coach.

Comments

1. Steve the cat rescuer

You keep reading it? Where? On Stan’s blog?

May 7th, 2014 9:45 am

2. jason

You’re right Lowell, 3 years ago they hired a black man with no coaching experience at any level that many deemed unqualified to coach in the nba, but that apparently doesn’t factor into the race troll’s consideration.

Black, white, or whatever, just about every coach that gets hired will be fired unless they’re popovich or Sloan. Has nothing to do with race.

May 7th, 2014 9:48 am

Steve, Look at some other newspaper websites.

May 7th, 2014 9:54 am

4. Streetglide

NBA is an ugly mess. You must be tired of me saying this Lowell but why you waste even a minute on that sthole of a so-called sport is beyond me..

May 7th, 2014 9:58 am

yikes Lowell where did you hear that? All I’ve heard is that Jackson and Lacobs son didn’t get along, Jackson didn’t live in the area, Jacksons faith conflicted with the team presidents sexual preference and Jackson’s team blew a lot of games that cost them a higher seed in the playoffs. Race sounds completely ridiculous and pretty baffled you would even mention it unless you think there’s some truth to it. All of the higher ups in the Warriors are white, Lacob , Guber, Myers and West so maybe it is true…..nonsense.

Just heard Jackson on the radio and he did sound defensive and very upset in his quiet way but never implied anything about race.

May 7th, 2014 10:01 am

6. Mike Hatz

Ah, the beloved “race card”. Only in America is it okay to use race to get a leg up in society and have that be okay, and then denigrate the use of race when it suits trollish desires.

I totally agree with the above. If the Warriors didn’t want a black coach, they wouldn’t have hired him. I’m sure the decision to fire the coach came from the team’s failure to advance in the playoffs and nothing more.

May 7th, 2014 10:20 am

Streetglide, I’m writing a column on the NFL draft right now.

May 7th, 2014 10:25 am

Chris, Go on some other websites, read what writers are writing.

May 7th, 2014 10:26 am

This racist opinion revolves around the timing of the Sterling mess. And by appearance alone as virtually all the involved parties are white….owner, GM, consultant, fired assistant coaches vs. Jack and his remaining assistants. The question is a deserved one. But your logic is spot on Lowell given they hired the man in the first place. And we don’t know the color of the Ws next coach either.

May 7th, 2014 10:50 am

Race is always part of it as it always is. How much we can debate, sure.
    Lacob hired his son. Ask the son how much being that helped him to argue with the head coach and get away with it?
    47 and 52 and improving. That’s a strong argument. I like winning myself to tell you the truth..as I always do.

May 7th, 2014 11:34 am

And I DONT like the idea of Steve Kerr. It goes both ways,and the Warriors are not going to go from the fiery preacher to Abercromby and Finch in Danville,Kerr. I think the players feed of off being in Oakland. ALWAYS have.

May 7th, 2014 11:39 am

I don’t think so Lowell. I know that Steven A. Smith said that on first take. I liked Mark Jackson but is he a top coach in the NBA, don’t think so, but all of the injuries were not helping either.

May 7th, 2014 1:48 pm

13. Steve the cat rescuer

I don’t know Lowell. I googled the racism angle and the only sources I’ve seen it mentioned are less than credible. But maybe I’m missing something.

May 7th, 2014 1:50 pm

I wonder if Lacob had considered trading MJ?. New York might have parted with a free draft pick.
    The Yorks would have thought of that I know…

May 7th, 2014 2:03 pm

15. Marco

Stephen A. Smith played the race card on First Take this morning. I’m sure Lacob heard it.

May 7th, 2014 3:58 pm

oh I’m sure there’s other websites and folks who aren’t from the Bay Area that are making race an issue……I’m not gonna waste my time with it…..so disgusted with the issue after all of the Sterling mess……..and those that are saying that race couldn’t be an issue because the Warriors hired a man of color in the first place………so did Donald Sterling in Doc Rivers. Lacobs been very candid since he’s owned the Warriors, talking to the fans via the radio many times so people can get to know him and I just don’t think race issues are in the mans make up….his hiring of Welts as team prez shows he doesn’t discriminate.

May 7th, 2014 6:26 pm

17. mendozaline

Just a reminder that Bill Neukom was the Managing General Partner and CEO of the Giants when they won their first World Series in SF in 2010. Near the end of the 2011 season he was forced out by the other owners. Lesson…not only shouldn’t a coach piss off the owners, an owner CEO shouldn’t piss off the other owners.

May 7th, 2014 6:31 pm

Well,I’m sure Mike Hartz means people of color. But you have Duck Dynasty and that Bundy (not Al for sure) who play the white race and sex and every card in the deck to keep money rolling in.
    I said it wasn’t a pure racial firing. But,use your brain…something doesn’t add up. Maybe Mark was the racist? (or sexist with the gay vice president?)..lol,well..somethings amiss. It isn’t normal business.
    THAT,i know.

May 7th, 2014 7:41 pm

19. Albert Park

If we’re going to play the race card, let’s investigate why there are so few white players in the NBA. These are hugely well-paying jobs and they go predominately to African-Americans. I demand equality for Polish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, etc. etc. etc.

May 7th, 2014 9:08 pm

Albert,why so little people of color in front offices of the NBA-the banks- the news media,corporate America? People of color like being in charge,but few are. How many primary owners in pro sports are people of color? After the Mexican America in Anaheim- the ONLY one of his kind to boot- in pro sports-Name the others. NBA,MLB,NFL.
    I’m always reading of white owners who hire people of color being lauded. That’s nice. But when will I read of those people being able to own? I don’t count that “group” thing. Yeah,they have no say as we all know.
    I want to read Oprah fired a uppity Latvian coach.

May 8th, 2014 10:57 am

Stan,

“Albert,why so little people of color in front offices of the NBA-the banks- the news media,corporate America?”

If you are going to be accused of racism if you have to let them go for whatever reason why bother to begin with?

May 8th, 2014 11:49 am

You hired them saying “Qualified” then fire them for doing better then anybody had done for decades?..And give no reason but a vague “Didn’t get along”. Cite SOMETHING. Joe just can’t bring himself too because he knows “Arguing with my son”..or “Assistant coaches he a gave chance too,turned on him and looked down their noses”..just doesn’t sound good to the public I’m SURE Joe knows that.

Didn’t get along with unneeded assistants? Did anybody feel a drop in quality in team play without those two complainers?

Lacob hasn’t cited anything. TELL us what did he do that wasn’t what management wanted? I know his coaching seemed wacky at times. But the Warriors owned the Heat and Clippers..and how many times did the second team blow a lead- but the Warriors WON anyways?
    That’s why I was on board the Jackson Wagon.

And,I LIKED that he gave Bogut a sharp poke with a stick on missing more games over a bruise. How many coaches are that honest?

I myself would have waited out his contract..let the dust settle. It was only one more season of winning most likely. The Giants ate a decades worth of years in losers like Rowan and Zito to name one big example. But,no Lacob booted out Mark Jackson like he had raped the franchise.

Couldn’t take another day of him. Unbelievable.

May 8th, 2014 3:53 pm

Stan, We know how you feel about Jackson. I think you should move onto another topic.

May 8th, 2014 4:10 pm

Interesting ch2 is reporting Kerr might not even want the job. Nobody in local media saw that angle.

That Lacob is looking like another Al Davis to coaching intendeds..Winning isn’t enough,its win his way.

May 11th, 2014 9:10 am