The 49ers just sent out an advisory that they signed QB Josh Johnson to a one-year contract. This is an excellent move. The Niners did not have a quality backup QB and now they do. I’m going to go out on a limb — Johnson is the most important signing the Niners made in the draft period and after. Please be kind to me.

Comments

1. Bob Regli

I thought Johnson should have been the starter in Tampa when he was here. Definitely a great backup sign.

May 14th, 2014 4:40 pm

That Pinot must be a good one.

May 14th, 2014 4:50 pm

Mark M, It’s a little too early for pinot and maybe a little too hot for a red.

May 14th, 2014 4:52 pm

4. htwaits

Yes, yes, and yes. This time for Josh, too early, and too hot for red.

May 14th, 2014 5:17 pm

5. Dr. Feelgood

I was in Santa Fe yesterday. It snowed.
    Cabernet was not an issue.

May 14th, 2014 6:29 pm

6. parnell

If signing a retread who couldn’t get on the field for two other teams to compete for the third QB spot is the most important signing in the draft period then the 49ers have just become the Raiders.

May 14th, 2014 6:33 pm

7. Dmack

Josh Johnson isn’t any different than Colt Mccoy. Niner faithful would still endure the same horrible feeling if either qb had to come in.God forbid! Excellent signing? Must be the dirty martini!?

May 14th, 2014 7:12 pm

Dmack, I’m not a martini drinker, just wine. And I had no wine when I wrote my post, although the family shared a St. Jean chard and an Oregon pinot on our deck during a slow lovely dinner that ended at 9:30.

May 14th, 2014 9:40 pm

9. Reality

Johnson is quality, but considering we cut both him & Daniels in the past after exceptional preseasons, who’s to say history doesn’t repeat itself.

May 14th, 2014 9:42 pm

I am going to go easy on you, but not on Josh Johnson. I watched him play in Tampa – he couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn. He won’t make the team. But since they have only signed a few lower draft pick rookies who might not make the team either you could be right that he is the most important signing thus far.

May 14th, 2014 10:26 pm

Josh Jonson has a lifetime QB rating of 57.7 in the NFL.
    I don’t get it. Maybe if I drank some wine it would become clearer at what a genius Harbaugh is at developing quarterbacks.

May 14th, 2014 11:37 pm

12. MJ

Last I saw, they traded for Blain Gabbert. Now he may not be anything better than Colt…but Gabbert was a 1st round pick and has the theoretical tools of a 1st round pick, Josh Johnson has not. This is training camp fodder, and I’m surprised at you Lowell, I’d figure with as long as you’ve been covering football you’d remember that this is the time of year that teams fill out rosters but come 53 man cut downs, these guys are 99% of the time already gone. If Johnson makes the 53 man roster, I’ll buy you your fav bottle of wine.

May 14th, 2014 11:57 pm

13. htwaits

If our quarterback is out for more than one or two games we are history for 2014. Josh Johnson spending so much time in the NFL, and imagining Lowell’s dinner are both wonderful stories.

Josh may not have any more chance to make the team than he did the first time around, but as a rags to modest income story it’s a winner.

I can see it now. The 49ers are in the Superbowl down by four points, and on the seven yard line with a 28 second left. Kaepernick was injured on the 48 yard run that got them to the seven.

Josh comes in to the game. The ball is snapped and the first three options are all double covered, but Josh hits Carlos Hyde in stride at the five yard line, and Carlos splits two DBs to score.

It’s Josh’s first pass in three years. Like the NY Giants after their last two Superbowl wins, the miracle worker is cut in March, 2015.

May 15th, 2014 12:44 am

It’s never too hot for the red. It’s like soup on a hot day in the tropics. It’s the great YES to all life has to offer.

May 15th, 2014 9:17 am

15. NeverWrong

It’s good to have three able quarterbacks and that’s what it looks like now with Kaepernick, Gabbert, and Johnson, especially since they have complementary skills. And for the business, if they remain on the roster productively, it’s three steals.

May 15th, 2014 2:25 pm

16. Brady

I highly, highly doubt that Johnson makes the team. Gabbert will be the backup – barring a trade, that is pretty much set in stone. Given how deep this team is, I imagine that they’ll only carry two QBs on their roster. Keeping Johnson would be a waste of a valuable roster spot, when they can instead keep either Faulkner or Bethel-Thompson on the practice squad in case they need a third QB.

May 16th, 2014 11:22 am