Mark Cuban spoke out on prejudice and on his own prejudices. I’m linking to an article here which explains his position. What do you think of it? FYI, you need to go into the blog to make the link work. I have no idea why.

Comments

1. Dave T

I had to read the total story a couple of times to really understand what Cuban was saying. he admits his own fallabilities while taking on a challenging topic. In the end we are all flawed and less than perfect. The difference comes when we are able to admit those things and work to overcome them as opposed to harboring them and allowing them to fester and dictate our lives.

May 22nd, 2014 11:29 am

I’m a perfect example. I’ve been blocked by the rainbow of local writers over the years. Not a single one was of my ethnic background. And,I don’t think I’ve even read one to follow in the bay area. Not as a columnist in over a half century of bay area sports- that’s as locked out as a race can be. You can’t find any larger bigotry in the bay area then that. Two baseball teams..all Caucasian announcers. And its been that way since Joe Angel about 30 years now.
    I know that many Latino’s hate the local media like I do..they just don’t blog,or write comments. To them,the local media is a lost cause.
    Me? I do what I can.
    btw, We all know who Barkely was talking about- right? Again,with no presence in the NBA other then as fans,we get that. Yeah,he’s hired for being funny.Uhuh.

May 22nd, 2014 12:00 pm

3. GregfromSac

I think Cuban’s statements, whether intentional or not, illuminate prejudice in the 21st century. Taking him at his word, all a black youth has to do to scare Mr. Cuban is wear a hoodie. A white person has to go to the extreme measure of tattooing his face (and shaving his head) to scare Mr. Cuban. Just another example of different standards for different races. Perhaps Mr. Cuban should send himself to a class to understand this double standard.

May 22nd, 2014 1:46 pm

I think I like what Cuban had to say, if it means he votes against forcing Donald Sterling to sell the team. I think he was saying there is no law against people being stupid and we can’t help them or anyone change their attitude if we have no way of knowing what their attitude is to begin with. At least I hope that is what he was saying.

May 22nd, 2014 2:11 pm

5. Kathy M

First of all I appreciate Cuban’s honesty, because racism still permeates our society and it’s encouraging to see that acknowledged.

But GregfromSac I took a different meaning from Cuban’s comment: “If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I’ll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos, I’ll move back to the other side of the street.” Meaning he feels more threatened by a kid in a hoodie (did these guys never wear sweatshirts??!) than an shaved-head adult with tats. Which is pretty incredible and yet I believe that’s exactly how he’d feel.

Maybe being a woman leads me to a different response but I’d be more clued in to the adult and any potential threat he might pose than a kid.

We’re all influenced deeply by our culture, such as it is.

May 22nd, 2014 3:45 pm

6. Russell

Stan- Monte Poole? Kawakami?

May 22nd, 2014 6:54 pm

7. Dr Feelgood

Cuban has cajones. He ventures where others refuse go, confesses what others deny.
    Having grown up in a fiercely racist and dying industrial town in the heartland, I was immersed in bigotry. Never bought into it.
    That said, prejudice has grabbed a toehold. I, like Cuban, am fearful of certain stereotypes, although never having been actually harmed in any way by persons fitting that description.
    Where does that fear come from? How does it spread? From this viewpoint, primarily from the entertainment industry.
    Stereotypes are a element in establishing a baseline fear-factor in TV and Cinema. The stereotypes that Cuban cited are right out of central casting. We allow these images to shape our perception of the real world, and they then become reality.
    On a more pertinent note: Let’s say you’re a total bigot down to the core of your being. You conduct your business and life in such a way that your feelings do not result in any instances of overt discrimination. In the private, in a spat with a lover, you rant and your rant gets nasty. You say ugly things, mention names, make accusations, and on and on. Should you be removed from your job? Should you be divested of the business that you’ve built?
    It’s only talk. We’ve heard this stuff before. The rantings of a lovesick, possibly inebriated, tired old man.
    This is America. I hate what that man said, but he has the right to say whatever he wants.
    Now he has to live with it.

May 22nd, 2014 9:11 pm

8. Brady

Kathy – I think you’ve got it backwards. Cuban said that a black kid in a hoodie would force him to cross the street, but if he met a tattooed white man there, he’d return to the first side of the street. If anything, that suggests that a black kid in a hoodie scares him LESS than the tattooed person.

May 22nd, 2014 9:21 pm

9. mendozaline

“Two baseball teams..all Caucasian announcers”

Hey Stan,

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (February 24, 2014) – Comcast SportsNet California (@CSNAuthentic), the home of “Authentic Bay Area Sports,” today announced that former Oakland Athletics second baseman Shooty Babitt has joined the broadcast team as a color analyst and will be featured in 20 telecasts this season. Babitt will make his debut on Monday, May 5 as the A’s host A.L. West Division rival Seattle Mariners. He will continue to serve as an analyst for Comcast SportsNet California’s A’s Pregame Live and A’s Postgame Live.

Babitt was selected by the A’s in the 25th round of the 1977 draft. He made his Major League debut with Oakland in 1981 and batted .256 in 54 games, including 44 starts at second base. He was also a .272 career hitter in seven minor league seasons in the Oakland and Montreal organizations. In 2008, Babitt joined Comcast SportsNet as a pre- and post-game show analyst for its A’s telecasts. In addition to his role as a broadcaster, Babitt also serves as a scout for the New York Mets. He previously scouted for the Arizona Diamondbacks. A native of Oakland, Calif., Babitt resides in Richmond, Calif. His son, Zach, was a 10th round pick by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 2012 draft.

“Shooty has done a tremendous job on our pre and post game shows over the past six years,” said Ken Pries, Vice President of Broadcasting and Communications for the A’s. “We’re happy to add this fan favorite to our game telecasts.”

“Shooty’s lifelong experience as a player and scout and his perspective as an Oakland native have made him an outstanding contributor to our coverage of A’s baseball,” stated David Koppett, Senior Executive Producer of Live Events for Comcast SportsNet Bay Area and Comcast SportsNet California. “We’re excited to add his insight to our game telecasts as a complement to that of our primary analyst, Ray Fosse.

Ray Fosse, a 29-year broadcasting veteran and multiple Emmy Award winner who won a World Championship as a catcher with the A’s in 1973, remains Comcast SportsNet California’s primary A’s analyst, working 126 games in the booth this season.

Babitt’s telecast schedule is as follows:
    Monday May 5 vs. Seattle Mariners – 7 p.m.
    Tuesday May 6 vs. Seattle Mariners – 7 p.m.
    Monday May 26 vs. Detroit Tigers – 1 p.m.
    Tuesday May 27 vs. Detroit Tigers – 7 p.m.
    Wednesday May 28 vs. Detroit Tigers – 7 p.m.
    Thursday July 3 vs. Toronto Blue Jays – 6 p.m.
    Friday July 4 vs. Toronto Blue Jays – 1 p.m.
    Saturday July 5 vs. Toronto Blue Jays – 7 p.m.
    Sunday July 6 vs. Toronto Blue Jays – 1 p.m.
    Friday August 1 vs. Kansas City Royals – 6:30 p.m.
    Saturday August 2 vs. Kansas City Royals – 1 p.m.
    Sunday August 3 vs. Kansas City Royals – 1 p.m.
    Monday August 4 vs. Tampa Bay Rays – 7 p.m.
    Tuesday August 5 vs. Tampa Bay Rays – 7 p.m.
    Friday August 22 vs. Los Angeles Angels – 7 p.m.
    Saturday August 23 vs. Los Angeles Angels – 6 p.m.
    Sunday August 24 vs. Los Angeles Angels – 1 p.m.
    Friday September 5 vs. Houston Astros – 7 p.m.
    Saturday September 6 vs. Houston Astros – 1 p.m.
    Sunday September 7 vs. Houston Astros – 1 p.m.

May 22nd, 2014 10:36 pm

10. Steve the cat rescuer

Stan: how about giving your rants a rest? Erwin Higueros and Tito Fuentes have been doing the Giants Spanish radio broadcast for many years; Amaury Pi-Gonzalez and Mandolin Hernandez-Douen have been doing the same for the A’s. What about Tom Flores with the Raiders? And as Russell points out, Poole and Kawakami. Vern Glenn, Rick Quan, Martin Wyatt, to name a few others.

May 22nd, 2014 11:41 pm

11. Dan

Cuban is crossing the street due to perceived threats to his safety. I believe many if not most have done the same thing. It doesn’t mean the threats are valid. Maybe we should watch Crash again.

May 23rd, 2014 8:52 am

12. Dan

None other than Jesse Jackson has said pretty much the same thing

“It’s especially revealing when a black leader such as Jesse Jackson can admit being embarrassed when, walking at night and hearing footsteps behind him, he nervously looks back and then feels a sudden sense of relief upon seeing that the person behind him is white.”

May 23rd, 2014 10:55 am

Get off it. Shooty does no PBP. I would have thought this crowd didn’t need me to differentiate between Monte Poole doing his post game OP, or Shooty or Rich Aurilia. There are places in local media that are as still locked out to Latinos..PBP in English . The same old “THEY can listen to Spanish stations” is part of the HUGE cultural ignorance. Most latinos born here..don’t speak Spanish. Or not fluently. Does Radnich speak Yugoslavic?..but there he is on TV,showing Yugoslavic white kids- you too can be part of the big picture. Am I getting through?

I’m sure Larry Baers present Giant announcer lineup is much like Lacobs new coaching choice..safe and comfortable and FAMILIAR.

I don’t even want to hear arguments on something as obvious to me as a gaunt 2010 Lincecum or drug fueled athletes. Other fans are blind,I’m not.
    I’ve taken more crap then anybody on local internet..and yet- nobody in sports media has been as far sighted as me. Not one. And you’ve all been there to read it so its not a secret.
    People hate change is right..

May 23rd, 2014 10:57 am

14. Bob In Portland

Cuban does two things here. First, he says what everyone should know, that we all carry prejudices and that we have to address them constantly. The second is that he said this inelegantly and received criticism from people unwilling to understand what he meant.

May 23rd, 2014 11:52 am

And,in a complicated subject when you talk about Latino’s..Rich Aurilia,Tim Montemayor and Joe Angel are as you all know..are of Latino heritage but pass as white. So,I guess I should just spell it out that I have NEVER seen a “Rigo Chicon” brown skinned Mexican American- what is 90% of the bay area Latino population,be a TV sports host in half a century of TV watching in the SAN FRANCISCO (say it in Spanish now!) or the same hosting a radio sports show. Comcast has been at it for half a decade,and Paul Gutierrez has been a guest..but never a host of any show. And if he was..gee,that’s one. How nice. And IF. Also,Paul has never said he’s Latino
    And I’m reaching out hard as as I can to be fair…to me its ridiculous that after decades nearly half the bay area population is still invisible.
    Like Mark Cuban (Cuban!) says, dark looks matter. Unfortunately.

May 23rd, 2014 12:49 pm

Stan, Richie Aurilia is Italian — from my neighborhood, Flatbush Brooklyn.

May 23rd, 2014 1:16 pm

And when I said “Pass as white” I didn’t meant it as if they hide..Joe Angel of course didn’t hide a thing. I meant it in the if they walk in a room,you wouldn’t think “There’s a Latino”. You look at Latin TV and plenty of blond and blue eyes. Even if you don’t understand…
    Many Latino families where siblings are of both dark,light,and in between.
    I forget sometimes what others aren’t aware of. I try..

May 23rd, 2014 1:56 pm

Stan,

For someone who claims to hate local media you sure do know who they all are and know what they all say. I am beginning to suspect that you just love to hear yourself whine and complain.

May 23rd, 2014 2:43 pm

And Dennis,when you say “whine” to my argument- my Facts- that there has NEVER been a brown skinned latin- as you see in about 50% of the bay area, or say George Lopez like for those who need visuals,that has EVER been hired to do local TV sports or do a sports HOSTING radio show,it tells me what a wall of..ignorance I’m fighting. Decades of that.When was TV invented? Its been a long time. I hope Tom Flores lives long,he as color is our own lone success.
    Like somebody else here on Cohnzohn said a few weeks ago,most think if a black man is hired,tha’ts all the world culture needed.

Like when I would post here about the rampant Vicodon problem in the NFL..And I predicted what a story it will be.I know what I’m talking about in life.Even if my prose isn’t beautiful.
    And ,One more about that. What the players are telling half truths of? Much of that damage has been exacerbated by footballs other god,Alcohol. The two combined are liver killers.
    Is the NFL going to do anything about that?..hell no,are the players going to admit drinking while using? no!
    Ah..enough for today.

May 23rd, 2014 5:33 pm

oh man…. Stan is in rare form……..RRRRRRRRRRRRigo Chacon was the clincher………..keep goin man…..or go Stan go!!……lol!!! not to make light of this subject because the Donald Sterling thing is as disgusting as it gets……

I went to Berkeley High with Shooty Babbit and he is a helluv a baseball player and knows what he’s talkin about. He played with Brian Guinn at BHS who was in the Giants organization for a short time……

May 23rd, 2014 8:30 pm

Stan

“I thought he was Puerto Rican?. Well,that’s now one less! And I’m not holding my breath on Montemayor being Latino.
    Many Latino families where siblings are of both dark,light,and in between.”

That actually sounds racist to me. I have no idea what color anyone on the radio or in the press is and I really don’t care. As long as they are good, and by that I mean entertaining, what difference should skin pigment and hair color mean?

May 24th, 2014 8:14 am

22. Dr Feelgood

It’s the voice, and the content, that matter.
    Not the race, or age, or sex or whatever.
    Jon Miller could be Orange, 100 yrs old, and a of unknown gender and It would not matter. Not a bit.
    Giants fans are so fortunate.

May 24th, 2014 9:53 am

Dennis,its not racist when you stop and think that you’ve spent a lifetime watching bay area sports of TV and never seen anybody ..white. You might feel left out. And might think its intentional after a few decades of that and no change despite reading how “integration of TV and media” has happened since the 60′s. And yet here in the bay area – back to me btw,- I haven’t seen one person like me..although,”like me”,is half of the bay area just about!.
    And, as I said in a previous post weeks ago..when I see a Comcast offer hosting jobs to all types except HALF OF THE BAY AREA-. I start to think its intentional.

If your a visitor from Africa or Asian,and watch bay area TV..you think how nice to see people like yourself delivering news in English. From Mexico?…its 1952 standards of separate but equal. And,I can tell you all,separate is NEVER equal.
    All In the liberal bay area?. Shame.

May 24th, 2014 10:39 am

24. overtime

Back to Lowell’s question…does it make sense to compare a black youth in a hooded sweatshirt to a white man in full facial and body tattoos? http://bit.ly/1oucLOM

May 24th, 2014 7:36 pm

Times change: I’m watching the 500..and the guy who puts gas in the tank at pit stops is in some environmental suit and helmet. All the years those guys breathed in the toxic high octane racing fuels or, how many times it splattered on them?..nobody cared then.
    Maybe we will advance also to the point we learn guns kill. Someday.

May 25th, 2014 10:37 am

%$#@!!!,..On the Giants game,Kuiper see’s a Mexican American on camera with a Giants themed sombrero. Now,after only compliments to everybody else shown by that time as cute and all american..what does Kuiper say about that Latino? “That’s somebody you want to keep one eye on”. @$#^!! to you Kuipe!. Or is it Kuipe Cuban?

May 25th, 2014 8:01 pm

And this fits this topic,and its in all the news. Kawakami vs Harbaugh. Even the Merc had a headline like it was a prizefight.
    The irony? As much as Tim Kawakami pushed Harbaugh for a reaction..when Harbaugh came back with an overt racist crack that Tim Kawakami could “Put bamboo shoots under my fingernails and I wont have more to say”. Now,why has TK not written anything about THAT?..I think its because his grandstand backfired,and he sure doesn’t want to be known as the writer that started a Cuban like broo-ha-ha for Harbaugh. But,no doubt Jim’s answer was due to TK’s ethnic background. No doubt at all.
    Proving people in football are lunkheads can be dangerously easy.

May 27th, 2014 11:37 am

28. Dr Feelgood

In Federal Court in today, Jurors heard evidence in the anti-discrimination case brought by The Ace of Spades against The United States Playing Card Company, maker of Bicycle, Bee and other playing card brands, and, The Suits: Hearts, Clubs and Diamonds.
    Ace of Spades bases it’s claim on grounds of persistent, endemic, institutionalized racial abuse and hatred.
    Jurors were allowed to view and hear videotape from security cameras at Las Vegas’ Ceasars Palace, in which The Queen of Hearts was heard repeatedly defiling The Ace of Spades, and his associates, the Suit of Spades.
    The Queen of Spades could be heard screaming repeatedly:
    “I’m sick and tired of being trumped by that damn Ace of Spades” and “If he thinks he can just trump me whenever he feels high and mighty, well, he can just kiss my rosy red… (“end of statement deleted in deference civility).
    The Queen of Hearts raged on further and a shocked jury was excused for the day.

May 27th, 2014 7:05 pm