After the Giants got beat yet again on Friday, that philosopher Matt Cain said the Giants need “to act like a bunch of little kids.” He meant the Giants need to have fun, baseball, after all, being a game.

When Frank Robinson managed the Giants — Robinson in the Hall of Fame and all that — he had contempt for the have-fun, be-kids approach to ball. He said, correctly, major league baseball is hard and it’s serious. ┬áHe said the fun in baseball comes from winning, not from acting like kids. He said it’s no fun to lose a bunch of games. He felt the have-fun approach was the sign of a player and a team in trouble. Which pretty much sums up the Giants.

Comments

1. Dr Feelgood

Well, when you’re floundering you’ll try anything. If “acting like little kids” is an euphemism for playing loose and without panic, then maybe he is on to something.
    Then again, it could also mean he recognizes despair in the clubhouse. A losing streak is a devastating experience. To suddenly collapse is a body blow to the psyche. Putting together a good run would shake off a lot of demons.

July 5th, 2014 10:02 am

2. Steve the cat rescuer

Easy for Matt Cain to say – he’s making $25 million a year. When the season is over that will likely translate to $12.5 million per win. But let us not forget, he gave the Giants a “home town” discount.

July 5th, 2014 10:31 am

3. Phil Brown

While I am loath to quote Tom Selleck about anything a line from Mr. Baseball comes to mind: ” Baseball is a game and games are supposed to be fun.”

July 5th, 2014 11:55 am

4. mike

Don’t know of too many athletes who had fun and enjoyed losing. Giants have one of the worst June swoons in history and still struggling mightily, and trust me, it’s not fun in that clubhouse. This episode of losing some 17 of 21 or 22 is not Major League, the movie that is.

July 5th, 2014 2:50 pm

I suspect that Matt Cain (1-7) is only having fun when playing golf this year.

July 9th, 2014 10:09 am

6. Brett

Lowell, to me, your title should read “Giants just got to have Pagon”.

I remember a similar thing happening to the Giants when Pagon went down last year. It is hard for me to write that one player can make that big of an impact. However I still think there could be somethning to this statement. I see and feel a whole different energy and chemistry when he is in the line up.

Anyone think this statement has any merit?

July 11th, 2014 12:59 pm