Both the Raiders and 49ers have big things to prove in the upcoming season. They have different things to prove, momentous in both cases. To read my column — my first since vacation — on the Raiders and Niners burdens of proof click here.

PS: You may need to go into the blog to find the click here click. Why? Hey, I don’t fly this ship.

Comments

Nice column Lowell, the jury is out but both teams have hope and seem to be moving forward in the right direction. Although I don’t think Cable had any say as Davis hired Hue Jackson to run the offense.

July 26th, 2010 11:31 pm

Nice column Lowell, both teams bring this season with a lot of hope, the only thing I found in this is that Cable had no choice as far as running the offense, Davis hired Hue Jackson to do that. Although Cable had some balls in getting rid of Jabustus.

July 26th, 2010 11:41 pm

I give you for not jumping on badnwagons-Kawakami and Pooles flip flops on the Giants this month makes me woozy. And Pooles sign T.O. advocacy doesnt make much sense.
    The Raiders still have not made Cable the “official” head coach have they? Maybe Al is too old for pretense and will just say soon HE is head coach. Could happen-lol.
    The 49ers in Singletary have a man who made it obvious he isnt all there from the get-go with the pants dropping,and the sermonizing,lack of humor..and since being named head coach seems to be bent on creating his own world..all bad signs. His luck has been extraordinary though. Hill and Martz who had the great passing attack,got him that job. Then the division became on of the weakest in football this year.
    All that praying he does is starting to make me think God DOES takes sides…

July 27th, 2010 10:51 am

4. B-Rad

Mr Cohn:
    The Raiders have one thing going for them that you haven’t mentioned. The highest-paid
    athlete in the Bay Area! Who could it be?
    $21.505 million this season in salary, bonuses, endorsements and appearance fees, (Sports
    Illustrated).
    Here’s what Kevin Ratterree said on fantasyfootball.com the day after Al drafted him:
    “The pick was tragic for the league. The Raiders just whipped it out and pissed all over
    the league with that pick. They are just embarrasing. They are like the drunk guy that
    makes the crude, horrible, tasteless toast at a wedding, except Goodell can’t get Davis
    in a headlock and shove him in a broom closet afterward.”
    ………….
    Kevin Roberts, ‘The Red Zone Report’ (same day as Ratterree)
    “We all knew leading into the draft that Al Davis might do this, but we never actually
    believed it. With a stud offensive tackle, defensive tackle, and a better pure receiver
    prospect (Michael Crabtree) left on the board, the world was dumbfounded to see (him)
    selected at this spot…….we’ll probably be seeing a lot of drops and poor route
    running in Heyward-Bey’s career.”

July 27th, 2010 1:33 pm

5. Brett

Not sure about all of that Stan. Singletary’s “Own World” has been better than the previous world we were living in. The “individuals” are gone and the passion is back in 49er football and I love that. You are right Lowell that there are still a couple of unknowns and I think they will become “knowns” within a couple of games. For me it is 10% offensive line and 90% Smith. Alex deserves this last chance. And it should be his last chance.

Brett

July 27th, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Lowell…
    Welcome back…
    “Every word Cable will utter during the exhibition season is meaningless because, in the cruel world of football, only results matter.”
    You’re right of course but given the years of horrendous performance what would we consider to be positive results?
    I’d like to see 8 wins…show me 8 wins and the team has something to build on. What would constitute RESULTS to all of you?

July 27th, 2010 3:23 pm

Brett-you remember that aaaaaawkward , press conference exchange between Lowell and Singletary? if looks could kill,Singletary’s lock on Lowell would have Lowell playing the harp right now in a robe-lol.
    And I forgot to mention more of Singltarys luck-maybe arguable here- that he got Mike Crabtree when the Raiders passed. It broke perfect for them.
    If they had gotten Donovan McNabb though,we would be talking SB chances..sigh..

July 27th, 2010 4:40 pm

8. Brett

Stan- as far as coach Mike making Lowell need a restroom break….I liked it.

July 27th, 2010 5:25 pm