For Wednesday I wrote a full column about Mike Singletary and Nate Davis. Many Zohn readers find this a fascinating topic and I do, too. I believe we learned a lot about Singletary through this episode. He is a lot harder and more unsentimental than we might have thought. I consider his behavior good in this scenario — the way a head coach must act — although I was sad to see Davis take the fall. To read my column, please click here.

Comments

You sort of skip over Davis knew his college playbook-and won. And Mikes idea of offense isnt complicated-why pretend he had many plays of zig zag ,when he’s a straight ahead guy? You also skip over no coach goes through so much effort to slur a third string quarterback as Singletary did. You only do that if you feel threatened to be exposed.Or,in this case your no.1 QB will be exposed with a few bad games and have fans howling with Davis on the sidelines.It’s more than Davis being a savior and more Smith is a cut above journeyman himself. Like he thinks he has a power running game,Singletary is delushional Smith is a championship or even quality top tier QB.
    I’m not saying Davis was ready to be no.1. But the hostility of Singletary was way out of line. You think Cable will rip Frye when the day he’s cut is here?

September 7th, 2010 10:35 pm

2. DennyPat

If you think about it, keeping Davis wasnt fair to the rest of the team. To ask the other players to ‘give it their all’ and then watch Davis not give it his all would have been wrong.

Sing did the right thing. Now all we have to do is figure out what to do with Crabtree’s attitude.

September 7th, 2010 10:45 pm

3. Bob In Pacifica

Good column, Lowell.

I think we have learned Nate Davis’ value in the eyes of Singletary and the Niners’ staff. Not as valuable as Troy Smith, although he may bump Brown off the taxi squad. (Am I showing my age using the term “taxi squad”?)

Everyone who’s seen him knows he’s got a great arm. So did Jim Druckenmiller. It would be nice to see him put on the practice squad and develop enough over this next year to actually stick on the roster next year. We shall see.

September 7th, 2010 11:01 pm

This getting so crazy in some defending Singletary,you would think Nate Davis was drafted straight from an alternative High School.
    If you can name another third string QB who ever in the history of the NFL had a head coach almost slander him..name it. THAT’S the story..and I explained why.

September 7th, 2010 11:11 pm

5. mikey

Give me a break. He didn’t “slander” him. If he did, Nate Davis’ agent would have been going crazy to try and sue Singletary. Instead, Nate Davis ADMITTED to what Coach had to say. And the reason it was blown up so much was not Coach’s doing…it was by you and the media. The biggest story that week was how much time Davis was going to get. Davis this Davis that. It’s almost as if Coach said to himself, “Fine they want to see the kid play, fine.” And what did we see? Decision making worse than Alex Smith himself, with one lob that didn’t even hit Ginn in stride, Ginn had to wait like 3 seconds for it to fall to him. That should have been a TD, but nope, it hung like a punt. So after the game, all the questions? All about Davis. And Coach was just fed up, he knows that the kid regressed this year.

Check this. If this was Davis’ rookie season, and he played the same way he did this preseason, would there be so much Nate hype? NO. He was bad this year. Last year he was way better. You know why? Because he was a rookie coming out of college where his hand was held by his brother, coach, and fan base. He was determined. He produced. But instead of continuing that, getting better, he regressed.

So stop with the craziness people. From what I saw, he’s 2 maybe even 3 years away from being a starting QB. You wanna wait that long? I don’t. I want Smith to do just well enough to get us to the playoffs, then I want a real QB in next years draft.

September 8th, 2010 1:06 am

6. jp

I remember thinking that Cody Pickett would be the next messiah… I guess we’ll see if anyone picks up Davis off waivers.

September 8th, 2010 2:18 am

7. Johneureka

Nate Davis was hired to be a project. Someone who might fulfill his promise in three years. Singletary cut him after 15 months despite some flashes of promise.

All our eggs are now in the Alex Smith basket. Heaven help us if he doesn’t produce or gets injured down the road.

And what was the hurry? A third string quarterback never does anything than hold the clipboard anyway.

September 8th, 2010 11:10 am

8. TommyCostaRica

Look up the YouTube videos of Nate putting the ball through a tire hanging on a moving golf cart 35 yards out. The kid is so much more talented than anybody on the team right now. I’ve just lost all respect for Sing, GOOD LUCK NATE!

September 8th, 2010 11:20 am

Comcast just played a tape of Singeltary saying about Nate Davis,”That I like Nate” “Wants him to stay” and that “Nate can be starter someday”. Sounds like what I have been saying-Singletary was out of bounds in tearing into a third stringer,He’s now being conciliatory. Singletary was almost in a blind rage that day because Nate Davis once again showed what Alex Smith cant do-ever. And the idea of the press and fans pressing for Davis..Is a wonder Singeltary didnt accuse davis of stealing office supplys to challenge his character.
    So,you have Singletary himself admitting Davis has still has starter potential. It was all based on Singletary feeling pressure coming on..and he dropped his pants 2.

September 8th, 2010 11:26 am

10. Bob In Pacifica

To jp: On Madden 2008 Cody Pickett and JT O’Sullivan show up on the European teams. They both still get their butts kicked.

TommyCostaRica, in NFL football games they don’t use tires hanging off the back end of golf carts.

I’m expecting big things for the Niners this year. Hope fans so used to complaining about the players, coaches and owners can calm down and enjoy it too.

September 8th, 2010 11:26 am

The way I see it, Singletary has done about the same as Nate Davis. He shows he has some talent but he could be nothing but a bust himself. The jury is out on Mr. Holly Roller and I would not be surprised in the least, that he will last maybe another year before he gets cut himself.He has done absolutley squat. This is the year to judge and if he fails, that means that Jed fails, and that means they need a good football mind in the organization.the word is GM who can pick perferably a offensive mind to run this team.

September 8th, 2010 12:25 pm

12. PhD

This column annoys me. The only reason Davis was looked on with such promise was his play on the field, oh, and Alex Smith’s lifetime passer rating of 68.8. You think the fan base likes to elevate and think that backup QBs are the team’s saviors? Not exactly. David Carr will never be looked on that way, nor will Troy Smith, which is precisely the reason that Singletary’s bonehead move of cutting Davis was so wrong. Davis has the potential. None of these other scrubs do. Davis showed the most promise of all our QBs and Singletary took the lazy and easy way out by cutting him instead of doubling down on that promise and bringing him along.

I just read that Singletary has something like a 90% approval rating from the fans? This amazes me and shows how just much this team has fallen. We live in a delusional reality where actual wins and losses on the field are less important than how nice the coach or quarterback seem to be. The facts are that SINGLETARY AND HIS REGIME, UP UNTIL NOW ARE LOSERS (never having delivered a winning season). If this happens yet again this season 8 – 8 or worse, what will be the excuse THIS time? How much longer will he get a pass? Will this just be more evidence that, as Ira Miller said last year, of the team thinking they are better than they are, or that the Yorks and Singletary are in way over their heads? Does Singletary even have a person of authority above him that questions what he does? Or is it just , ‘yes coach, whatever you want, coach.” There is no wise and experienced GM or owner to do that – just rah rah Jed and his band of new stadium hacks. Singletary ran Davis out of town, when do we run Singletary out of town if he continues losing?

September 8th, 2010 12:45 pm

And I do get Lowell’s and Kawakami’s point. This is the NFL,no handholding (unless Singletary is leading a prayer)blah,blah. I say it’s not about that,never was. Even Lowell’s first post was about Singletary going off unprovoked by the press. And I do think the later,after the fact posts by writers were sort of a dump on Nate,McCloughan,and a subtle slap at disabilitys…when it was always Singletary’s problem. I think I have said it all now-lol..I hope…

September 8th, 2010 3:26 pm

14. jp

So Singletary ‘is an idiot’ for letting go of Nate Davis. Does that not make every other coach in the NFL ‘an idiot’ for not claiming him off waivers???

September 8th, 2010 6:57 pm

15. Niner Faithful

You’d think we have a couple of GMs among us right here on the comment board. Think I’ll just watch, keep the faith, and see what happens. No worries for those who enjoy the long-winded and/or multiple posters, though, as there will always be plenty of them. LET’S GO NINERS!!!

September 9th, 2010 3:08 am

16. 5decadefan

DennyPat @10:45 and Mikey @1:06–My thumb is up for your comments.

For some of the others: Davis was not given a guaranteed contract for three years. The 49ers obviously did not promise Davis that he wouldn’t be cut at any time within that three year period and that Davis could just take his time learning the playbook and getting ready to be a professional QB. Nor have I seen any information which suggests that Davis completely knew the playbook at Ball St. Davis is an employee who simply might not have the prerequisites and skills necessary to successfully be a professional QB. It’s been sixteen months since Nate was drafted last year and he still only knows two-thirds of the material. That’s an indication that the professional level might be beyond his reach, as it has been for many others.

September 9th, 2010 1:53 pm