I interviewed Giants president Larry Baer on Saturday in the press box during the Giants-Rockies game — Rockies won 2-1.  We talked about Brian Sabean’s now infamous rant about Scott Cousins and the Giants’ response which, I thought, was a propaganda press release. Baer explained himself and added to my (our) understanding of the situation and I appreciate the time he took and the seriousness he showed. To read my column and Baer’s comments click here.

Comments

1. D. Devil's Advocate

So Sabean can act like he’s Big Balls Brian when he’s hurling hate at an opposing player, but when it’s time to make amends for things he said “in the heat of the moment”, he’s going to hide behind the “organization’s” shirt tails? Gutless feeb. Stand up and take the heat or sit down and STFU, sissy-mary.

June 4th, 2011 5:55 pm

Sheesh,Larry Baer’s answer Lowell, wasn’t exactly comforting was it? “Its a different world down there” isnt “We would never throw a bean pitch to Cousins” Is it?
    C’mon,Baer’s mean spirited controling personality is well documented..if he wrought revenge and vengence on Damon Bruce-somebody you said you liked,Lowell- I’m not buying Larry is agains’t Cousins eating dirt on a brushback pitch..or worse.

June 4th, 2011 7:24 pm

With every word they speak or write this organization continues to embarrass itself…
    It’s almost 2 weeks later and a supposedly professional organization continues to flail around like an unruly mob at a dollar beer bar…

June 4th, 2011 8:28 pm

4. Ron

Logan Morrison can throw that one at the coward giants fans making death threats but only doing so anonymously.

June 4th, 2011 10:33 pm

I agree that Sabean is the one who put his foot in his mouth and should be the one to apologize publicly.

Buster Posey released his own statement on the subject and showed some class.

June 5th, 2011 1:34 am

6. Doug A

Aw, the Giants should have plinked the first Marlin up the next day.

June 5th, 2011 4:27 am

Ahhhh,your all a bunch of WUSSES. Bring back the good old days when you could kill a man with your bare hands if your honor was offended.
    Then,take his woman. Thats the way it used to be when Reagan was President if my memory serves me….dang liberals with your “apologies and I forgive you”. With my BARE HANDS ,I tell you!

June 5th, 2011 6:57 am

8. Tom Fitzsimmons

I’m very disappointed in Larry Baer, a man I have met a few times and who is probably one of the nicest guys in the game. The vilification of Scott Cousins needs to stop. If the shoe were on the other foot and a Giants player had won the game on a play just like that (it would have been a walk-off for us!), everyone would be cheering the hard nosed play with only some regret about the injured party.

June 5th, 2011 7:03 am

9. Tom Fitzsimmons

I’ve posted the above comment to both of the Giants groups I belong to on Facebook. If you are into that sort of thing you should do the same!

June 5th, 2011 7:14 am

10. Tom

Stan , Go watch coed-softball. Leave baseball to the big boys. like they say- Dont hate the playa little timmy, hate the game.

June 5th, 2011 8:44 am

11. Tom

Cousins had a job to do. He did it well, his team scored. As a professional ball player you better do you job well or you wont be playing. The guy that didnt do his job well is Posey, a young player with a lot to learn about playing catcher.

June 5th, 2011 8:48 am

I will read the column later, but this is getting very old, its almost as bad as Rev ding a ling coaching abilities and Alex Smith excuses.

June 5th, 2011 10:36 am

13. Tom Fitzsimmons

As far as re-posting this I meant YOUR comment and Lowells post, not mine. Don’t want to seem like a hot dogger here.

June 5th, 2011 12:10 pm

the Giants and Baer are in an awkward postion that they’ve never dealt with before………so it’s best to just keep quiet at this point…….Sabean meant what he said and just like the Atlanta Braves pitching coach meant what he said to the Giants fans he bad mouthed………all this apoligy stuff is just going through the motions to avoid fines and suspensions and its really boring that it has to be made public…….it should really all be done behind closed doors so the fans dont have to be subjected to this crap and can get back to enjoying the games……Even though I agree with Sabeans comments on KNBR, I think he should be fined for making them public……..but I also think Scott Cousins should be penalized for his crazed behavior on the field, so that other players will think twice about blasting into a catcher like an NFL safety going head to head with a running back……..

June 5th, 2011 2:16 pm

15. Warren

What not a lot of people point out is that Posey hurt his leg partly because he planted his foot in position to absorb a hit. If Cousins hit him in the face then I would understand attacking Cousins. But Posey dug in, and that’s part of the cause for injury. If he set up for a swipe tag then he’d be fine and Cousins would have seen that and slid.
    Sabean and the Giants need to back down and be men. injuries happen. And even Posey is looking a bit fragile with his responses. Everyone hopes he’s ok, including Cousins. This whole thing has made the Giants look like a bunch of babies.

June 6th, 2011 4:26 am

16. StevenG

Two words: suspend Sabean.

Publicly announce Sabean’s comments cannot be tolerated and suspend him without pay. THAT’S how an organization apologizes.

June 8th, 2011 7:36 am