Here at last is the column I wrote yesterday on Billy Beane firing Bob Geren. Sometimes there are glitches on the web and I apologize for posting this in a tardy manner. The gist of my column is this: Geren was a dreadful manager, but Beane hired him, stuck with him for a long time, gave the team over to this man who did not communicate and was unclear on player roles and fundamental baseball knowledge. This is bad for Geren, worse for Beane. To read the full column, click here.

Comments

Just like I wrote it myself it was so accurate-just no misspellings or lol’s.
    And, I notice that the media is bringing up the Fisher family to blame finally. THEY are the money behind the A’s..when is a local reporter going to interview those billionaire parasites?.
    I see their name all over the Academy of Sciences..no mention of them at the Coloseum. Speaks volumes.

June 10th, 2011 9:18 am

btw,Rich man apologist Gary Radnich just explained that it’s not Beane’s or Wolff’s fault that they have had to trade away their best young hitters and pitchers. It’s because as Radnich explained “They don’t have the resources” The 3rd or 4th richest(depending on who you beleive) ownership group doesnt have the money? If they dont-how do the two dozen poorer teams survive?…and some win?

June 10th, 2011 9:35 am

Are the Athletics even in the baseball business?
    Lew’s fraternity brother Bud leaves him twisting in the wind while the fans’ attention turns elsewhere…even in bankrupt San Jose…
    The Fisher kid papers the walls of his office with cancelled checks from the Yankees and Red Sox and pretends to own a baseball team…
    Even Jed looks good compared to this mess…

June 10th, 2011 9:41 am

Just because Lew and Bud were frat brothers that doesn’t necessarily make them friends. I had frat brothers I didn’t like.

June 10th, 2011 9:51 am

This sound like. ” This is Howard Cosell speaking of sports” Well written and I learned a few things about the situation as I am not a A’s follower.

June 10th, 2011 11:00 am

6. eb

Lowell, I’ve seen interviews with Wolff where he stated that Bud calls him “Lewie.” That seems pretty friendly.

June 10th, 2011 11:12 am

7. GregC

Hi Lowell. Great article. As far as I am concerned, this piece one along with Monte Poole’s earlier article are the defining works on the sorry state of a once proud franchise. This is just as powerful as Tim’s Kawakami’s “Robert Rowell’s 25 fire-able offenses as Warriors colossus” article which detailed the previous disfunction of the Warriors.

June 10th, 2011 7:41 pm

When I look at the top ten,and see Either batting .336 I curse the name Billy Beane outload.

June 12th, 2011 7:09 am

Matsui just drove in his third run in the three games..again,was it not me who said he needs to play? I never said -unlike others- he was washed up. Geren as I said was making EVERYBODY look washed up-lol. And I stand by my accurate know it allness,that Geren had quit on the team. It was a manager burned out..seeing the writing on the wall that he was NEVER coming back next year.
    Sing,Nelson,Geren,Lance,..all with those crazy lame duck play calling and moves. Just human nature.

June 12th, 2011 10:25 am