I don’t usually link to my son Grant’s 49ers posts in the Cohn Zohn — too much squawking from the Peanut Gallery. But he just put up a post about Vernon Davis and Frank Gore which, in my humble opinion, is an absolute classic. It is a revealing portrait of both players and it’s funny, endearing, and a fantastic behind-the-scenes look at what goes on in a locker room between two friends, two good guys, who also are rivals. To read Grant’s post click here.

Comments

1. Fred G

Great post and one of the reasons I still love sports.

October 12th, 2011 10:14 am

Ralph Nader gave a speech at UC Berkeley,and called college sports as exploitative and results in the dumbing down of American society. He said UCB should abolish football,and that its pathetic that alumni were more worried about saving baseball then they were having a John Woo teach his war criminal class.
    As a instructor and lifetime sportswriter,Lowell,-is he right and we just live with a “junkfood for the mind” as he called it addiction to sports at educational expense?

October 12th, 2011 12:46 pm

3. MJ

Little off topic arent we stan?
    On topic, love the ribbing Frank gave Vernon. And you could tell its good natured on both sides cause VD could very easily have come back at Frank bout his fumble, etc. Prefer these articles to the interviews, those can be so boring.

October 12th, 2011 1:31 pm

4. mbabco

Continuing off-topic with Stan: Gregg Easterbrook of Tuesday Morning Quarterback has written on this topic. Here’s a quote:

“Cal has a 27-person staff for football coaching and administration, overseeing a roster of 110 players. That’s a 1-to-4 ratio of staff to students. The school’s English department has 71 non-emeritus personnel, plus about 50 support staff, serving a student body of 35,843. That’s a 1-to-296 ratio of staff to students. Judged by staff, Cal devotes even more resources to football, versus English, than does Ohio State. In staffing terms, Cal treats football as 74 times more important than English.”

It’s from “College athletic departments are bloated and priorities are askew” from December 7, 2010:

Don’t forget, the Cal football coach is the highest paid employee in the system.

October 12th, 2011 2:37 pm

Stan, who care what Ralph Nader thinks?

October 12th, 2011 2:41 pm

I do. How often does a person of his ilk have an opinion on sports and UC Berkeley no less?. I thought maybe Lowell might be interested in the topic. I myself thought it old news on his football idea-it’s been said many times. BUT what he had to say about baseball reminded me of the cohnzohn chatter when I said back when also-for such an expensive sport with little return why couldn’t the parents,alums etc,pay for that?..Nader took it farther that alumni for a University like Berkeley should be up in arms over quality education fort hose millions they raised to play childrens games. So,I wonder what Lowell saw in the big picture.
    I’m still angry(surprise!) that he cost Gore (Al-hee) the presidency. Dang.

October 12th, 2011 4:11 pm

7. Fred G

Dennis I think it’s an interesting topic. You don’t have to agree with Stan however, he can raise the point as far as I’m concerned. We have discussed books and movies on this blog so it seems OK for Stan to raise the question and get opinions. Regarding Nader’s point (and I am never forgiving him for delivering George W to the country), it’s a point worth discussing. However, in a free society if people want to focus on football they can. From a business perspective I am betting the return on investment (ROI), justifies the money spend on football. I am quite certain (since the players themselves do not get formal salaries), that the small number of “real employees” on payroll bring in a lot of cash to the university. This translates into funding programs that may not be available without the cash. From a marketing perspective( like it or not), it raises the universities visibility. I think there is very little to nothing left in society that is pure and not driven by money. Nader knows this, and his point isn’t really about football. Think about it.

October 12th, 2011 4:14 pm

No, I get the point. Great topic no doubt. But my point is who really cares what Ralph Nader thinks? He is nothing more than a gadfly these days. I do like the fact that he kept Gore from being President, another gadfly, but why would we even entertain what he has to say about college sports. I would rather here from Jesse Jackson on the subject because I do believe college athletes are getting ripped off. And Jesse like to step up for the oppressed. I think that would be real interesting.

October 12th, 2011 4:52 pm

9. danilo

Ralph Nader happens to be right of course. Our society is using sports to dumb itself down even further, although that seems almost impossible. Not that what he says would make any difference. I asked a relative recently how, as a Cal alumna and a Democrat who holds various graduate degrees including a doctorate, all from UC Berkeley, he could live with war criminal John Yoo teaching at Bolt, and his response was: “who?’ Then he proceeded to tell me why Jeff Tedford should be fired.

October 12th, 2011 6:38 pm

I am not sure how you all can make the leap that society is using sports to dumb itself down. My kids graduated from UCSB. UCSB is not known for it sports programs. I doubt they even have a football team anymore. My kids aren’t any more inteligent as a result of the experience. Sports has nothing to do with the dumbing down of society. It is the hand outs, the entitlements and the victimization that has dumbed us down.

October 13th, 2011 8:15 am