As you probably figured out I never made it to the Raiders game. Instead I watched it at home and went through an entire box of Kleenex with my annual fall cold. But I did see the game and Carson Palmer wasn’t so hot, but of course he’s entitled because he had been sitting on a couch and now he was in a real game. So, sure, we give him a break.

Still, here’s a hypothetical. What if Palmer never turns out to be very good? I’m not saying he won’t. I’m just asking. When the Raiders got him, I read all over the place that Jason Campbell had played his last game as a Raider.

Really?

If Palmer cannot regain what he had, it sure would make sense for the Raiders to keep Campbell in mind. It is difficult to make definitive statements like Campbell is history when we simply don’t know how things play out.

Comments

1. drywit

Raiders were awful today, starting with Boller. McFadden didn’t play ruining my fantasy weekend. Palmer looked like he had the arm strength of Rue McClanahan. Get it together, Raiders. Chargers are terrible, too…

October 23rd, 2011 5:58 pm

Hue made a huge mistake today..not only should he have started Palmer..why wait until Boller had put the game out of reach THEN decide he couldnt tak eany more of Boller’s ineptitude?
    I thought Palmer looked good-no ducks like Boller,no hanging curves like Boller…and Palmer had perfect spirals. And for somebody who can’t run..nobody sacked him..quick release.
    I think with Palmer what your going to get that you didn’t get with Campbell is consistent play. And-a fast judgement- is he won’t panic like Campbell did. Hue didn’t have any confidence in Campbell. The N.E. Braincramp INT. was the straw that broke the camels back.

October 23rd, 2011 6:08 pm

3. NeverWrong

@ drywit: It was an awful game but I don’t think the Raiders were awful, somehow. Palmer’s throw that DHB snatched from the jaws of the defense bodes well for the rest of the season. But I thought a couple of the interceptions might not have been if the receivers had gone FOR the ball instead of watching and waiting for it to come to them. This happens all over the NFL. Is it an effect of the Self-Esteem Movement, expecting to be given everything? The players ages synchronize with that era and its immediate aftermath.

October 23rd, 2011 6:32 pm

The whole team took the day off…it was a terrible showing that reminded everyone of Coach Cable…
    Boller threw the pick six and it was over right there…please drive home safely…
    They’ve got two weeks to decide if they want to play the rest of the season or just cash checks…Denver comes in 11/6 with nothing to lose and Tebow playing for his career…I’m guess that game is blacked out after this stinker…

October 23rd, 2011 6:45 pm

5. latopia

Campbell & Boller have 1-yr deals. Re Palmer, the Raiders are on the hook for $2.5m this year, $5m next (OAK only guaranteed $5m of the $12.5m due Palmer in 2012). They could eat the 5 and still cut him next season if Palmer absolutely fails. But cutting Palmer would be a huge fail for the organization considering the cost of acquisition. Otherwise, the ?s next offseason include the usual suspects: Will there be better options via cut lists, trades or draft? Would Campbell — a free agent — even want to stay?

October 23rd, 2011 6:53 pm

6. Jim Bancroft

Get well soon Lowell. The worst colds of all are the ones you get when the weather’s nice, and you feel like an outsider looking in.

October 23rd, 2011 7:06 pm

7. B-Rad

One QB had only played sparingly in the NFL this year.
    One QB had not played at all in the NFL this year.
    One QB has never played in the NFL.
    One QB won’t play in the NFL again anytime soon.
    This was going to be a tough game for the Raiders.
    ………….
    Random thoughts:
    Excluding the Niners, the NFC West is now 2-13 against other divisions.

….
    Our past two rotten head coaches are now 1-6 & 0-6 with their current
    teams.
    I wish that Minnesota and Miami were playing each other later this
    year. It might have been the first game in NFL history that both
    teams would lose. If not, I think that Minnesota would have lost
    since Singletary is the rottener of the two coaches.

October 23rd, 2011 8:45 pm

8. Rich, San Ramon

The problem for the Raiders is that in one 7 day span everything has changed. They went from a try-hard team focused on smart football, to a carnival where the team is now supposed to live up to the Greatness of the Raiders, live up to the Greatest Trade Ever, and do so without the steadying influence of Jason Campbell, who has been summarily canned. And just to make matters worse, the godawful showing of Hue “RB Pitchback to QB on Two!!” Jackson and his hand-picked QB’s in the KC game really puts the pressure on him and Palmer to produce against Denver. That’s a heck of a lot of non-football stuff to deal with. Course, Denver might be just what the doctor ordered.

October 23rd, 2011 9:44 pm

9. Dublin John

Everybody knows Palmer has a chronic sore elbow for which he turned down Tommy John surgery. It didn’t look like he had great zip on this throws and more than a few seemed under thrown, lack of practice notwithstanding. Keep Jason until it’s obvious Palmer can perform consistency is the smart play here. But you sure can do away with that Boller guy; he plain stunk.

October 23rd, 2011 9:51 pm

I’m not surprised at all that the game vs. the Chiefs went the way it did…….the Raiders had consistancy going and that all changed when the starting QB got knocked out of the lineup…….Boller was 0 for his last 10 NFL starts going into this game…….sure I wouldn’t mind if Boller gets cut Monday morning after that garbage of a performance, but the thing is, even though he had that miserable pik that went for a TD, so did Carson Palmer, which tells me Hue Jackson did not have his team prepared to play this game…….Hue appeared distracted by playing poker with the media all week regarding the QB situation, and he admitted that he’s very tired these days……it seems the pressure is starting to get to coach Hue, and who can blame him. His owner’s gone, his starting QB is out, and he’s having to play the GM role………if he’s able to get the Raiders back on track and they make the playoffs, it’ll be a shocker.

October 23rd, 2011 11:01 pm

11. knowledge!

I personally think that coach hue is a jackass! and being a big fan, this clown scares me!

October 24th, 2011 2:22 am

12. Bob In Pacifica

I agree with Stan that I thought Palmer looked good today. Granted, he didn’t see the coverage on his pick six, but it takes awhile to be game-ready. And I think that he’s way better than Campbell. Having said that, it would be wise to keep Campbell around as insurance if the Raiders can afford it.

I thought it was a little dismissive the way a guy with a broken collarbone got a shoe in the backside from some observers as soon as Palmer was signed. But I also didn’t think that Campbell had to “be in the loop” when the Raiders signed Palmer. He’s a player and has no say in the matter and was probably at home on pain meds when it all came down. The Raiders didn’t need to send someone to his place to hold his hand and break the news.

October 24th, 2011 6:30 am

And this sort of follows a trend..the Raiders playing bad at home. They have wasted some big games that you would have thought playing in front of the home crowd would fire them up. But like when the Jets pasted them 38-0 to the New England game,to today..they came with Freddy P.Soft all over them.

October 24th, 2011 8:53 am

14. mbabco

The sort of deal they made for Palmer is defensible for a very good team trading to get the one player that will put them over the top to, if not win the Super Bowl, at least to go deep into the playoffs. Otherwise, they gave away too much for way too little. Time will tell if that’s the case, but today it’s looking that the Raider’s weren’t more than one player away and that, even if 1 player would have put them over the top, it’s debatable if Palmer is that player. Hope it turns out for them; I live in Oakland, would love to see them do well. I’m not optimistic. I think the Raiders need to get a good GM soon rather than relying on a first-year coach to be making such important personnel decisions.

October 24th, 2011 9:18 am

First of all I agree with you, can’t stand when Jackson talks in the the third person, what a ego maniac and not sure what he has accompished to get a ego that big. Palmer will get better but they do need a capable second stringer and if its not JC then it got to be somebody else, Boller is miserable and should be out of football after this year.

October 24th, 2011 10:04 am

16. bigandbold

C’mon Lowell… I thought that Palmer was, “… a big upgrade over any quarterback they have including Jason Campbell.” Hedging your bets already?

October 24th, 2011 10:14 am

17. oh come on dad

Palmer gets a pass, come on guys. But Hue Gego? He is a buffoon liar. How such an under-accomplished guy became head coach and GM is a sign of the Raiders being the same old Raiders. Still no talk of a GM.

October 24th, 2011 10:45 am

18. LONERAIDER78

What a mess. They gave up two high picks, so they pretty much have to play Palmer if when Campbell heals. The only other scenario I see is, just forget the picks–forget they ever existed–and let Palmer and Campbell dual it out for the starting job, then dump Boller and develop Pryor.

Regarding the trainwreck we witnessed yesterday, that was the first time Hue really failed to manage the team. I can’t say I would’ve done better, but I would’ve tried to get creative with the packages–and by creative I don’t mean trick plays, I mean finding ways to incorporate all three QBs, thus taking some pressure off one guy. And they have such quick WRs that I’m just baffled that he wouldn’t try to shorten the field, using three step drops, crossing routes, basically everything KC did to beat us. Has Hue ever heard of YAC? We have just the guys to dominate that stat. Boller, Palmer are both trying to find their groove and he has them dropping back all day? Made no sense. Bye week couldn’t come at a better time, they need to get healthy and do some serious soul searching and come back ready for Denver. This season went from promising to swiraling the drain in a blink.

October 24th, 2011 10:47 am

19. glenellen

Call me crazy, but Shane Lechler sure threw a nice TD pass on the fake field goal two weeks ago. Just a thought.
    On a side note; I wonder if Boller is a good bowler.

October 24th, 2011 11:13 am

The Colts with Peyton Manning were considered SB contenders the pre season. Without him they lose 62-7. At least I dont hear anymore that the QB isnt the most important position in football.

SCARY: I heard that the Raiders and Hue were “chippy” to the Chiefs..I also heard it said in another game,then Jerry McDonald wrote that word in his BANG writeup today.
    “Chippy” How the hell did such a prissy term come to be the cliche of the day? 300 pound men fighting “Is soooo chippy!”? Ugh. When did soccer mom lingo take over the world?-lol.

October 24th, 2011 11:39 am

21. Fritz Q Newman Jr, PhD

If anyone ever deserved a Mulligan, it’s Palmer. He hasn’t played in almost a calendar year, and then, with a new team he’s only been with a few days, he gets thrown out there without the team’s best running back and a fourteen point deficit. No quarterback in history could have pulled that off. I think the Denver game will be just a little bit different.

October 24th, 2011 11:43 am

The Raiders better hope that Pryor is real, real good in the near future because they don’t have any draft picks left to rebuild with. And if Palmer is only mediocre things will not be looking very good. I think they need to get a real good GM in their ASAP.

October 24th, 2011 11:45 am

23. mbabco

Interesting line of stats from Peter King today, comparing Jason Campbell & Carson Palmer from 2008 – 2010. Hope the formating comes through

2008-2010 seasons
    QB W-L, Pct. Comp. Att. Pct. Yards TD Int Rating
    Campbell 19-25, .432 836 1,342 .623 9,250 39 27 84.1
    Palmer 14-22, .389 719 1,181 .608 7,813 50 37 81.4

October 24th, 2011 11:56 am

24. Zevi

Lowell, it sounds like you need some chicken soup. Matzo balls?

The Raiders should keep both QBs. That follows Razzano’s blog about the importance of backup QBs. Campbell is hurt right now, but Palmer has a much bigger history of injuries. The Niners are also taking a big gamble this year with no experienced backup QBs.

October 24th, 2011 12:05 pm

Zevi, I’m deep into the chicken noodle soup cure. Thanks.

October 24th, 2011 12:36 pm

26. eb

No to defend the performance, but keep these factors in mind: qb situation, no McFadden, no Boss, a secondary that was razor this due to injury, no McClain, no Jano, etc. The bottom line is, the Oakland Raiders are the walking dead right now. The bye will give them a chance to get healthy and back on track.

October 24th, 2011 12:41 pm

BTW-I did predict Hue would start Boller,then go to Palmer. Again,I had foreseen. I have to point that out. It’s a gift and a curse..stop curseing.

October 28th, 2011 10:38 am