Grant just posted a Niners piece on his website and I’d like to share it with you. He listed five areas in which Jim Harbaugh can improve. There is nothing wrong with explaining how Harbaugh, a good coach, can get better. And he does have room for improvement, for sure. Grant’s fifth category was media relations. Harbaugh is a dud in that area. Clearly, this is not his most important task, but coaches must understand they are the face of the franchise. As I look at Grant’s site I see most respondents disagree with the media point. I believe they are being shortsighted. To read Grant’s piece click here.

Comments

1. Capts

At times Harbaugh seems like he’s socially stunted. Great coach, but he just seems off.

March 3rd, 2012 3:13 pm

Lowell, you know you weren’t very fair to Harbuagh and Baalke during the preseason. We did discuss this back then. And now you are complaining that he isn’t nice to the media. You sort of made your bed now you need to sleep in it. He knows that no matter how nice he is to you you will turn on him in a second. So why put forth the effort? I sure wouldn’t.

March 3rd, 2012 3:34 pm

3. Johnny Christo

You ought to poke around there more often. I said hello. (pbl)

Harbaugh is appropriate with today’s media. It is not what it once was, less accountability, more outlets, less journalists, more bloggers, etc…
    All you should seek from Harbaugh is honesty, which is 100% more real than anything you ever got from Sing. Harbaugh is the first REAL coach the Niners have had since Seifert (mooch is a media darling), and he’s mildly sociopathic.
    It looked like you connected with him over the course of the season, and it looked like respect was mutually earned between you. What Grant alluded to was an attempt by Harbaugh to become, in essence, more likeable. And you say this is important because he is the face of the franchise, but this is not the issue. I think you’re missing it.
    What makes Harbaugh likeable to the fan base is his sociological dedication to the game of football. What makes him difficult to reporters is the very thing that further endears him to the fan base, that he is so brutally honest that his impatience for media becomes funny.
    We, the fans, appreciate his dedication, his wit, his passion for his players, AND his contempt for those ” journalists” who would try to push him around.
    As you guys get to know him better, the relationship will soften naturally, but it would be a mistake for the sociopath to attempt to become more likeable, for it would diminish his honesty.

March 3rd, 2012 4:05 pm

I don’t need him to be likable. I want him to be forthright and accountable. Sociopath is your word, not mine.

March 3rd, 2012 4:50 pm

Nice? Who cares about nice? His responsibility is to answer fair and relevant questions, not to be nice. And I’m not just talking about me. I’m talking about everyone. Plus, my relationship with Harbaugh is probably better than his relationship with most reporters. He and I have fun with each other.

Nice? Gee whiz.

March 3rd, 2012 4:51 pm

Well, if you are having fun with it quit complaining. Fair and relvant questions are in the eye of the beholder. From what I can see, Harbaugh did answer every question he felt was fair or relevant.

March 3rd, 2012 5:09 pm

I disagree.

March 3rd, 2012 5:24 pm

8. Johnny Christo

Lowell… you are off on this, I’m telling you. I own the word sociopath. If you don’t have a PhD or don’t understand what that means, then look it up. I know you get it.

The point is, he answers the questions that he deems to be relevant to the media. He does not answer the questions that he believes to be irrelevant. He is 100% more accountable than Sing was, but you sang Sing’s praises as a good man.

Please reply, at least to me on my email, about how you think Harbaugh is not accountable or forthright!

March 3rd, 2012 5:49 pm

He ducks questions all the time, won’t answer simple, non-controversial questions. And you never can tell why. His standards seem to change all the time. He’s moody — he admits that. Maybe it’s about his moods. I don’t know. I think he ducks questions precisely because they are relevant. He’s an obscurantist. FYI, I do have a PhD, from Stanford.

March 3rd, 2012 5:57 pm

10. Johnny Christo

PhD in psychology?

March 3rd, 2012 6:14 pm

11. Johnny Christo

You’re there all the time, I’m not. But I made a point of watching every presser, and I noticed that his contempt didn’t seem arbitrarily directed. If he attempts to obscure issues, let’s give him the benefit, eh? Now, about that sociopath word you wrote…

March 3rd, 2012 7:15 pm

English.

March 3rd, 2012 10:18 pm

13. jason

Bob Knight, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Billy Martin, Billichick, Parcell, Don Nelson may have been sociopaths to some degree. Sociopaths sometimes make good coaches.

March 3rd, 2012 11:54 pm

He is a social misfit, start with his kids, show interest, and work your way up. I do it in sales all of the time.

March 4th, 2012 6:04 pm