I wrote my Sunday column for the Santa Rosa Press Democrat about the New Orleans Saints and their bounty program for knocking opposing players out of the game — paying players for things like “cart-offs.” I find this program troubling. It makes a game into a blood sport. And I believe there is a difference between the two. In my column, I propose severe penalties for Saints head coach Sean Payton and other thugs on the Saints. To read my piece, please click here.

Comments

1. Johnny Christo

from 3/2

Lowell, not much chance of this happening, but I believe the coaches who sanctioned and condoned this behavior, so long as they “knew it was illegal” at the time, should be banned for life from the NFL. Any lesser consequence actually serves to encourage a belief that laws are meaningless. In free society, if you break the law, and especially if you do so with unlawful intent, you are removed from said society and freedoms are revoked. In a millionaires club, exclusion ought to be immediate and permanent. Therefore, Payton and Williams should both be unemployed tomorrow, with no prospects ever to return to the NFL.

March 4th, 2012 10:47 am

Remember 20 or 30? years ago fingers were pointed at Oakland and the “criminal mentality” ? We all know that was code for the black players on the Raider defense.
    Yet it turns out the real criminal mentality was the squeaky clean fresh scrubbed faces of the NFL coaches who could walk into any southern country club or Rotary club.
    Amazing-because it also conjures up the mental picture of those coaches as conservative pimps,handling folded wads of money. Only they wear baseball caps instead of Fedoras with feathers..
    Hmm,then again the Mafia morals also are at work here. “Its tradition” will be the defense..

March 4th, 2012 11:11 am

3. Capts

Even NFL players who assault, sexually assault, attempt murder off the field are not banned for life. Would you hold Jack Tatum, Ronnie Lott or the hundreds of other NFL players who routinely tried to injure offensive players, to that same judgement?

March 4th, 2012 11:31 am

This scandal reminds me of the movie “Rollerball” starring James Caan. The NFL has finally crossed the line into a blood sport.
    It also calls to mind Tanya Harding hiring a goon to injure her ice skating competitor( Nancy Kerrigan) with a police baton in 1994. A criminal offense.

March 4th, 2012 11:33 am

So your point Stan is that this is just rich white guys doing this? Get real!

And as an Italian American I am offended at the “Mafia morals” reference.

March 4th, 2012 11:35 am

If you want a realistic article on the subject go read Gwen Knapp’s in todays Chronicle.

March 4th, 2012 11:50 am

Lowell, I think you’re being too idealistic regarding this matter. Football is a bloodsport just like boxing is, despite all of the token rules that try to keep a squeeky clean acceptable image to the two sports. Teams cannot be effective on defense if they’re not trying to inflict punishment on the offense. Please explain to me what was the hit that Goldson put on the Saints RB in the playoffs. Was that not a potentially career ending hit that resulted in the player being carted off the field? Was it ok because it was legal? Was Scott Cousins hit on Buster Posey ok because that was legal? Of course not in both instances. So to make a big deal about the “Saints Bounty” is ridiculous. I say the NDL should fine the coaches involved, including Dennis Allen, and tell them to stop. Thats as far as it should go. And if you believe what those 49er players told Grant that they aren’t out out put pain on opposing players, to me, thats unbelievable.

March 4th, 2012 1:29 pm

8. Hacksaw

you wrote he should “flea” to Nepal. Not good editing. The correct spelling is “flee”

March 4th, 2012 2:56 pm

Yes, I saw that. My fault.

March 4th, 2012 3:30 pm

Sure your offended Dennis,sure you are. And I’m sure you will write Ralph Barbieri any minute now for playing the “Goodfellas” rollcall of Mobsters before his show EVERY single day.
    Or,95.7 for playing “The Godfather” on every Greg Papa hosting.
    We all know you conservatives are sensitive people.And like Dennis says,don’t insult those touchy feally mobsters.

March 4th, 2012 4:14 pm

Ralph and I grew up togther, in fact, our fathers grew up togther, its OK for Ralph. He is Italian. I don’t know Greg Papa but “The Godfather theme song is very good and I am not offended by it.

March 4th, 2012 10:16 pm

The hit that Goldson put on the Saints running back was to keep him from scoring. Goldson took punishment on that hit too. If you ever played football you would know that a collision like that can rattle both players.. Goldson was not thinking of “cartoff” money. He was just playing hard clean football.

March 4th, 2012 11:34 pm

If football existed for the betterment of society, I’d agree with your ban suggestion. It doesn’t as we all know. It’s there to make money so we all know what will happen. Draft picks will be forfeited and maybe a suspension or two, and that’s it as you suggest.

And then other football staffs will wonder if they are at a competitive disadvantage because they do not have a bounty program. Perhaps some modification of this program will then evolve within some organizations and the blood sport will continue as it always has. Nothing really will change here just as much as this bounty program revealed what we already knew.

March 5th, 2012 10:44 am

By your own reasoning Dennis,then Ben and Jerry WERE wrong to use fortune cookies in ice cream. They aren’t Chinese..or Asian.

btw-I heard rumors of penaltys of half a season for Sean Payton.
    For possibly ending the career of Peyton Manning-deliberately too,and many others?- that seems like small potatoes.
    So far no real penaltys for Penn State football either huh?…laws for the rich and us are not created equal.

March 5th, 2012 12:58 pm

15. Mike

Players hit hard and sometimes players are injured in legal plays. That’s a given. But those commenters who don’t see a difference between those legal plays and directly offering bounties for hurting people are missing the point. As Lowell says, that’s akin to deliberate assault, and it’s immoral. And it’s being done by the guys in power, so banning them is quite appropriate.

March 5th, 2012 1:01 pm

Nah, Stan. I am just having fun with you. I am not offended by any of it. I think the fortune cookies was a great idea. I love fortune cookies, but now the saying inside comes in Spanish and English. What’s up with that? Still love them though. I wish one of these Italian players would light up like Lin so Ben and Jerry would do some ice cream in a cannoli kind of thing. That would be great!

I don’t know about laws for the rich being different, but I told you nothing was going to happen to Penn State – nor should it.

March 5th, 2012 3:45 pm