As I promised earlier, here is my Tuesday column about the San Francisco 49ers signing wide receiver Randy Moss, and this column is a sub for my earlier column about Alex Smith. I acknowledge Moss has been a great player and he will go into the Hall of Fame, for sure, but he hasn’t played in more than a year and he has, I believe, a problem personality. He may be great for the 49ers and then again he may not. To read my Moss column, please click here.

Comments

1. VR

You make some great points. But 49ers are playing with house money on this one. Signing of Randy Moss doesn’t mean they will not pursue other WRs. They need at least two more WRs if not 3.

March 12th, 2012 9:45 pm

2. Johnny Christo

Don’t be so quick to assert Kaepernick is vulnerable. He is an imposing, mature QB who started 4 years and is probably the only QB in the entire NFL who can overthrow Moss. Say what you will about Alex Glass, but watch out for CK7.

March 12th, 2012 10:08 pm

3. russell

I don’t see the “house money” on this one at all, VR. I agree with pretty much the entire article, and I don’t see that he is enough of the great Moss to risk the quitter Moss coming to that team. I am no fan of the 49ers, but if I were I would be upset that my team was but a few plays away from a very winnable appearance in the Superbowl and chose to bring in a 35yr old retired quitter as the missing link to try and take the team to that next level.

March 12th, 2012 10:13 pm

4. Vijay

Lowell,

Good column and I couldn’t disagree one bit. Being a Raider fan, we learnt the hard way though one can say the Raiders were terrible and dysfunctional back then. But the fact is he was cut by three times in one year. How often does that happen in the nfl? Also not to mention he has a QB who throws the ball well to the knees but not deep.

March 12th, 2012 10:48 pm

All good points. The only thing I can think is the price was right to make the risk worth taking. They aren’t done. There will be more receivers. But Moss just being out there should open up Vernon Davis. He will probably have a career year in receptions. It will be hard to double team the both of them.

March 12th, 2012 10:56 pm

If Moss gets Kaepernick to throw him the ball downfield I feel good about Kaepernick’s ability to reach him accurately.

March 12th, 2012 11:46 pm

7. Capts

Moss is to the 49ers what Manny is to the A’s. What other retired divas can the Bay Area teams bring into the fold?

March 13th, 2012 2:37 am

Moss said he hurt his shoulder that last year with New England. He is healthy now. Niners have nothing to lose by signing him and maybe a lot to gain. They will have to sign one or two more receivers for sure. Injuries always play a part so they need depth.

If Smith does not sign ..who cares..CK is better anyway. Harbaugh can prop up CK just as easily until he gets some experience and his talent takes over.

March 13th, 2012 2:55 am

There’s older and still team players like Plunkett or Fred Dean or Hacksaw-Dave Stewart.
    And then theres older and TO or Moss,Manny. Moss isnt the future,not much of the present..and can really be the past,fast.
    What I’m wondering is-when the local press brings up how he was a QUITTER for the Raiders and stole Oaklands money..and turned his back on the black hole..what that will do, for Randy’s mood?

March 13th, 2012 7:49 am

10. Streetglide

I put my faith in Harbaugh. Moss will sign for incentive money and could be gone by the start of pre-season.
    He might be another year away, but when Colin steps in he will be the game changer and QB for a long time…

March 13th, 2012 8:12 am

This guy has already quit on three teams…including Tom Brady and the Pats…
    He’ll quit on this team too…this adventure will make Braylon Edwards look like a resounding success..

March 13th, 2012 9:22 am

12. Frank in Minnesota

This is what i know about Randy Moss from out here in Minnesota…he had no respect for Coach Childress, and he wound up acting like an ass and was a terrible player on the field (but very good with team mates, he helped Harvin and others a lot, even graciously)…from what i hear he did not respect the Raiders coaching staff and was a disgruntled player for them…but noticed that when he worked under Belichek that he was a great player? Under Harbaugh i feel he can produce as Harbaugh is quite beloved and respected by his players..hope i am right!

March 13th, 2012 10:00 am

13. John Sousa

Lowell

What was your experience with him like when he was on the Raiders. Did you interact with him at all?

March 13th, 2012 10:22 am

John, We had a shouting match in Seattle. And after that he went around the locker room shouting that I am a “bald-headed (expletive.)” If you write me privately I’ll tell you the expletive. I found the whole thing funny. So, no, we have not gotten along.

March 13th, 2012 10:26 am

It is a no brainier Lowell, if he acts like a diva, Harbaugh will kick his ass to the curb

March 13th, 2012 11:36 am

Neal, are you as tough as you talk? Please go easy on me. I bruise easily.

March 13th, 2012 11:42 am

17. russell

Now Perrish Cox? I know blind loyalists, but he was “Not Guilty”, right? About time we re-address the Raiders organization as player rehab zone, and their fans being the “criminal element”, and pass the torch across the bay where it belongs, no???

March 13th, 2012 11:44 am

Minimal risk here. I doubt he’ll be a divisive force on this team with Harbaugh in charge and with our solid locker room. I’d say it’s less than 50/50 that he’ll work out and seriously contribute this season. But as long as we don’t rely on him, and sign other people in addition, I’m good with taking this chance. The potential upside is too good to ignore.

March 13th, 2012 12:10 pm

19. D. Devil's Advocate, Esq.

Whether or not he has a “problem personality” (Lowell, there’s no need to guess what expletive he used), I have to point out the main issue, the same one I highlighted on Peyton: he’s 35 years old. You can’t just run him on 10 stem routes a game anymore.

If he was the guy to get them over the hump (can he return kicks?), it’s worth it. But I think we all agree, he’s not that guy anymore, so it seems a waste of time and money and an unnecessary distraction.

March 13th, 2012 1:02 pm

20. Brodie2Washington

The Redskins just signed Morgan. Dang!

The last time the 49ers had 4 qtrs of solid offense was the last game Morgan played in.

Morgan might not have the stats, but he was the best WR on the squad before his injury and was due for a breakout year.

I think we stepped back in WR talent the last 24 hours.

I won’t fret (too much). Last season’s FA period looked bad at first but turned out very well in the end.

March 13th, 2012 2:16 pm