Ron Artest by any other name is still Ron Artest. Call him Metta World Peace and he’s still part thug — no way to dress that up. Today he appeared to purposely elbow James Harden in the head. World Peace said it was an accident. It looked like no accident to me. If this didn’t happen on a basketball court you’d call it assault. Harden has a concussion. What penalty should the NBA give World Peace? The league should make him sit as long as Harden can’t play, even if that means missing the playoffs. Let World Peace contemplate the meaning of peace.

Comments

1. Richard

I honestly believe that he should be suspended from now right on through the playoffs.

Also, given his history, Stern should consider a suspension that continues into next season.

April 22nd, 2012 8:12 pm

2. Joe Sanchez

World Peace absolutely should have Artest’s history taken into account. That elbow shot looked nasty and intentional, though I can’t say whether the intent was to hit the head specifically.

I hope World Peace is sincerely trying to make himself better, and this is just a step on his journey towards becoming a better person, setbacks and all. His actions deserve their consequences but let’s hold out hope for the guy. Look at Ricky Williams. No one believed him when he first started walking down hippie road, but now he’s got a stable, happy life.

April 22nd, 2012 11:12 pm

3. John Sousa

I like Adande’s suggestion: Suspended for however many games Harden misses plus 2.

April 23rd, 2012 7:12 am

At least you are not suggesting he be banned for life. I like your ideabut I would add 10 games to it.

April 23rd, 2012 7:24 am

5. Streetglide

Shoot I thought he retired years ago. You still watch basketball??? What a dumb game…

April 23rd, 2012 8:08 am

6. Brady

he should not play again this season, including playoffs. When a man of his size elbows an unprotected head, with that force, it’s like the NBA’s version of bountygate….there’s no way to excuse it as anything other than trying to hurt someone. it should be punished as such.

also, the NBA should ban him from using the name “World Peace” on the bag of his jersey. After that incident it just looks sarcastic. Just as I would find it offensive if David Lee changed his last name to “black man,” I find it offensive that the most violent man in the league’s name is “world peace”

April 23rd, 2012 9:11 am

I saw it..and it was one big stupid person acting out with no regard for anybody. Its the “style” now to do the open gaped mouth, chest beating..I even saw Britney Griner do it,and some other college gals.
    Why isn’t it called for unsportsmanlike behavior? You can do all I mentioned AND stomp around the court like the universe is revolving around the player…no call. But,touch the ball after it goes through the net? A technical!
    These are all relatively young people..and those in charge could simply say-no more of that,be professional. But they don’t..and why we see the Warriors do the same dance routines pregame.
    If I wanted to pay good money for dancing I would go see the Nutcracker around Christmas.
    Yeah,the NBA is like Broadway..You get to see 7′ers do “Stomp” and the rest Westside story like. When will they get to “Cats?”

PS..for literary purposes only did I mention Broadway. I couldn’t name a show tune if it fell on me. Well, that Cats in the moonlight is a nice song..and Hair..but you get my meaning.

April 23rd, 2012 12:15 pm

8. gary

That was an incredible dangerous blow to an entirely unprotected opponent. Viscous.

Minimum he should be out is the rest of this
    year, and the first quarter or so, of the next season.

I do not care how much he cries, that was 100% deliberate.

April 23rd, 2012 1:22 pm

He knows his career is winding down.
    Probably auditioning for Dana White…
    *ALOHA*

April 23rd, 2012 4:09 pm

10. lance w

In slow mo it looked bad. In real time, it looked like an accident. I don’t think he will get much of a fine at all.

April 23rd, 2012 11:17 pm

11. Dave T

Repeat offender. Suspension indefinite, to be no shorter than the playoffs to start with and good portion of next season. He not only may have damaged a teams playoff chances, but more importantly may have damaged a mans, career, livlihood and quality of life and for that there is simply no excuse and no defense. Perhaps that is a hard line to take but a necessary one. Great example from the NHL and the Raffi Torres hit that took out Marian Hossa. It was a hit with intent and malice. It cost the player the playoffs and 25 games next season, which is nearly a third of the NHL schedule. Physicality in the course of play is a part of the game, intent to injure with malice is not. Stern has taken a hard line stance in the past. I hope he does so again.

April 24th, 2012 12:47 am

yep, definitley assault on Artest’s part……that’s the harsh reality of what pro sports is……assault and war. NFL is war because players die and are disabled from the effects of playing the game……the A’s just had the 40th reunion of their 1972 World Championship team. …..an ex-NFL player said there couldn’t be a 40th reunion for an NFL team because alot of the guys have since died……Hard to say how long Artest should be out…….Campy Campaneris in that 1972 A’s season threw a bat at the head of a Detroit pitcher, and was banned from 3 playoff games, but allowed to play in the World Series. And then banned from the first 10 games of the following 73 season. So Artest will most likely be playing in the playoffs.

April 24th, 2012 8:59 pm

13. Peter M. Arel

I will hold out hope for the LOS ANGELES LAKERS BUT ONLY IF THEY GET RID OF RON ARTEST AFTER THE CURRENT NBA SEASON HAS SEEN ITS LAST PLAYOFF GAME!

May 21st, 2012 11:53 am

14. Peter M. Arel

A BOYCOTT OF THE SNEAKER COMPANIES IS A GOOD WAY TO FORCE THE NBA TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST RON ARTEST. SILENCE WHEN RON ARTEST’S NAME IS INTRODUCED WAS ALSO SUGGESTED. IF THE NBA WILL NOT TAKE ACTION AGAINST RON ARTEST BEYOND A 7-GAME SUSPENSION THEN THE FANS THEMSELVES SHOULD TAKE ACTION AGAINST THE NBA!

May 21st, 2012 11:59 am

15. Peter M. Arel

The Commissioner of Basketball WILL NEVER GIVE RON ARTEST THE KIND OF SUSPENSION THAT WILL MEAN ANYTHING. IT IS A FAN BOYCOTT OF THE NBA THAT WILL TELL COMMISSIONER DAVID STERN HOW TO DO HIS JOB;WATCH HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE BASKETBALL IF YOU THINK RON ARTEST SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUNISHED MORE SEVERELY.

May 21st, 2012 12:16 pm