Some readers are peeved at me because I don’t endorse the Niners’ choice of A.J. Jenkins in the first round of the draft. Well, I don’t endorse the Niners’ choice of A.J. Jenkins in the first round of the draft. I don’t feel I’m employed to be a cheerleader for the Niners when they don’t do well. I don’t believe they did well. I believe they needed a difference-maker on offense to get them to the Super Bowl next season, which is where they want to go. I don’t believe Jenkins, who may not even be a starter, is the difference maker. To read my column on this strange draft pick, please click here.

Comments

1. flip3

Maybe they have a theory that they need big, mighty men inside (VD, D Walker, B Miller, Sopoaga) and a swarm of burners outside. Maybe Harbaugh has a theory on offense that is different than yours.

April 26th, 2012 11:32 pm

2. Johnny Christo

Oh, Lowell, you just don’t understand the game of football. Here’s a quote for you, you who refuse to do any research before leaving your emotional ointment plastered across my MacBook screen…
    “Jenkins capped off an ultra-productive senior season by breaking the 4.4-second barrier in the 40 at the Combine. Teams are so enamored with Jenkins that they traveled to privately work him out this past weekend. Expect the reliable pass catcher to be selected somewhere in the middle of round two.”
    Here’s some more for you… the big strapping WR you mentioned, Coby Fleener, was Harbaugh’s guy at Stanford. Many say he wasn’t even Stanford’s best TE (Levine was). Harbaugh passed on him. What about Stephen Hill, the other big strapping guy, the 6’4” WR with the 4.3 speed? He caught 49 passes in 3 years!!! The guy we just got caught 90 passes in his last year, catching balls thrown by a sophomore nincompoop QB. The 3rd guy in the round, the midgetoid high-fat slowpoke from Baylor, caught 116 passes from the second Andrew Luck.
    I think our guy is okay. Yeah, it took about 4 minutes to put that together, but that’s at least 3:59 more than it took either you or LilCohn to throw your spooge all over my MacBook screen!!!

April 26th, 2012 11:37 pm

3. Johnny Christo

For the record, Lowell, Kurt Warner, the 2nd best big-game QB of all time, just doesn’t understand English… he says “anyways” and “heighth,” but hey, he is a truly great QB. Truly. Other guys, like the ever-flatulating, ever-lithping, ever-pompouth Mayock, have absolutely nothing to offer.
    You, Lowell, are the former, not the latter. Please continue to splatter you chatter across my MacScreen.

April 26th, 2012 11:46 pm

4. Qball

9ers were a PR away from being a sb team last yr, not sure whats making ppl think they need a serious overhaul. Lets be real, only position that we could bave picked that would have gotten rookie PT was RG and Fleener.

April 27th, 2012 12:01 am

5. Mike

You called this an Al Davis Pick drafting on measurables? Wait, what? That’s exactly what Stephen Hill and Fleener were. Height weight speed measurable guys. AJ had 90 catches and a ton of college productivity. Am I missing something here? Here is Peter Kings take: Peter King of SI: “@SI_PeterKing Just talked to one team with a receiver need who liked first-round stunner AJ Jenkins over Michael Floyd.”

April 27th, 2012 12:34 am

6. Dr. Feelgood

What’s the joke part, why am I not laughing? The guy lead his conference in receiving. That’s the freakin Big Ten, not the pony league.
    I read an “analysis” by another sportswriter who defined a Jenkins weakness as (not exact quote) “doesn’t play well on snow”. Well, I guess that cooks our goose! Thank God for global warming! SNOW? Are you kidding me? That’s the best you guys can do?
    Can we maybe see this guy play before calling in the firing squad?

April 27th, 2012 1:39 am

7. Derek

I’ve never seen a 49er draft pick so loathed before he even sets foot in Santa Clara. Jenkins deserves a chance….If he’s humble, loves to practice and can separate himself from defenders, he’s a 100% improvement over Crabtree.

April 27th, 2012 3:06 am

AJ Jenkens stands six feet one half inch tall. Michael Crabtree is six one but weighs 214 wherease Jenkens weights 190 . Once Jenkens adds a little beef he and Crabtree will look the same but Jenkins is faster and maybe has better hands.. It wil be interesting to see who wins that competition.

April 27th, 2012 3:07 am

9. Gooselosgatos

Lowell,
    Sometimes you really seem to have an ax to grind with the Niners.

These guys have more information/resources at their fingertips with which to judge players than any of us ‘civilians’ do.

Also, the Niners nailed their first rounder last year so I’ll give them the benefits of the doubt this year.

And your premise of the Niners needing an impact player from the draft doesn’t hold weight as 1) rarely are first rounders immediate impact players 2) that is a shortsighted draft strategy 3) they boosted their receiving corps in the offseason.

Finally, just because his draft time was mentioned doesn’t mean that was the only reason they took him. Listen to the Balke interview and he mentions all of the film work they did on this player, his productivity, his ability to run precise routes and separate and his versatility.

April 27th, 2012 4:16 am

10. Streetglide

I’m looking forward to this autumn when you and Grant have to backtrack on your prognostications. What I don’t understand is why both of you put so much mustard on it when you don’t like something?
    I have a feeling you will be eating even more crow than you did last September. Other than the feather is you mouth Mr. Cohn, how was the diner? Nyurk! Nyurk! Nyurk!

April 27th, 2012 6:26 am

11. Rob

Have you ever watched this kid play? I saw most of his games and he was the best player on the field a lot of the times. Do not be so quick to judge because you never saw the kid play ball.

April 27th, 2012 8:18 am

As I predicted. On Grants blog,I said the 49ers would go for a WR. They got one rated a spot or two higher then the guy I thought would be available-the Alabama kid..so good for the 49ers.
    I also have been saying all along,that the more the media pushed for Fleener,the less the H-man wanted him.
    Its why when you all said sign TO,the troublemaker, he wouldn’t. Then he signed Moss the quitter, who you all hated. I know Jim. Contrarion HOF material as I see him…

April 27th, 2012 8:22 am

You make too much out of the draft Lowell. The draft is for longterm success and not going to put a team in the Super Bowl right away. Free agency is…….free agency is what improved the Niners last season along with good coaching. And free agency is what will improve the Raiders as well to win their divison in 2012.

April 27th, 2012 8:37 am

14. michaeld

Maybe the pick isn’t so “weird” after all…

April 27th, 2012 8:54 am

15. Streetglide

I was with you chris until you brought in the Raiders. Not gonna happen. They will be lucky to come in third in their pip-squeak division. Denver, KC, Volts, Faiders… like that.

April 27th, 2012 8:56 am

In fairness to Lowell & Grant…all the BIG TIME draft prognosticators were stunned with SI essentially calling it a dumb move…it makes you wonder what’s going on in Santa Clara.

Maybe they’re going to install the spread and put 5 little guys in chaos patterns…

Just adding another little guy …a guy who could have been had in the 2nd or 3rd round…doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

BTW…who is the right guard these days?

April 27th, 2012 9:09 am

17. MJ

What year is this? 2012 or 2011…whose Aldon Smith, what a horrible pick..blah blah blah.

April 27th, 2012 9:25 am

18. Brady

with all due respect, Lowell, you’re a much better journalist than analyst.

April 27th, 2012 9:54 am

We needed a WR, preferably a speedy one to stretch the field, and we got one. I don’t get your reaction at all. This fills a need. The Giants won the SB last year with a crew of small quick receivers. We even pilfered one of them. I’m very pleased that Harbaugh got a receiver he likes, and obviously felt he needed.

The fact that the media and talking heads had him rated lower than a first round pick is 100% meaningless to me.

BTW….anyone hear Baalke tout on KNBR last night that the Niners got the best player available, and that was the reasoning behind this pick? He’s not even a good liar. Jeeeeez Trent, at least gussy up these fabrications a little bit for public consumption.

April 27th, 2012 10:05 am

20. Jim Bancroft

I agree with Lowell to a point– why draft another wide receiver when they’ve been picking them up left and right in FA? The 49ers need some possession hands on 3rd down, not a speedster. I personally think Fleener would have been a better pick, though with that said, Jenkins did have a nose for the football in college, never a bad thing.

My own choice for the pick would have been an offensive lineman. Well, that’s part of the fun of the draft, we all get to play GM for a day.

I’ll also stand up for Michael Crabtree to this extent; look who’s throwing to him, Mr. Cautious. Will Manningham, Moss, Jenkins et al be allowed to both throw and catch their passes? That’s about the only way they’ll get them on 3rd down.

April 27th, 2012 10:29 am

21. Brady

Also, Lowell, you should listen to your good buddy Maicco. He hit the nail on the head:

“I’d love to be able to tell you it was a good pick or it was a bad pick. But, come on, that would be silly.

It’s nearly impossible to evaluate a wide receiver without having access to the all-22 coaches film that NFL teams use to evaluate prospects. And it would be ridiculous to criticize the team’s first-round pick for a second year in a row.

If you recall, there were plenty of skeptics after the 49ers used the No. 7 overall pick last April to choose a defensive player by the name of Aldon Smith. That one didn’t work out too poorly.”

Your great writing loses credibility when you try and discuss things that you literally cannot know.

April 27th, 2012 11:13 am

If it makes you feel better..he could be a second round pick (Fleener as like Monta Ellis,its just the bay area who thought he was all world) of the Niners
    But knowing Harbaugh..he would love to drive you guys up the wall by passing on Fleener in the second round too…

April 27th, 2012 11:25 am

My Crystal ball to 2034: The Jim Harbaugh Story.. “And I decided I sure as hell wasn’t going to do whatever the Cohn family said if I had anything to say about it. My midwest culture wouldn’t let me”…Clear as a bell,I see it…

April 27th, 2012 12:06 pm

24. Giants Fan

Can’t wait for the season to start and for Jenkins to have a productive career resulting in a retraction from you. I trust that Baalke and Harbaugh know a little more than you about football and it doesn’t matter that you disagree. They’ve earned the trust…Go Niners…Oh and I’m predicting a big year for Alex Smith…30 TDs. You heard it hear first!

April 27th, 2012 12:38 pm

25. Kommon Senze

I don’t begrudge you, Lowell, for not agreeing with the pick. As an individual and as a columnist, you certainly have that right. That said, I think your logic on why it was a bad pick is lacking. I know you and Grant were big on Fleener, but don’t you think that Harbaugh and his staff along with Baalke would have a pretty firm grasp on Fleener’s abilities and how it ranks on their draft board?

You are making some huge assumptions by saying that Fleener would have immediately impacted the offense. I like Fleener, myself, and was thinking he’d be the pick, too, but they need a WR that can be an all-around threat. Crabtree hasn’t been that guy, and part of it is simply that he doesn’t have the speed to separate. Jenkins does. If you watch his highlights, the way he plucks and runs without breaking stride is actually reminiscent of guys like Mike Wallace today, but perhaps even Jerry Rice of years ago.

I’m not saying he’ll be Jerry Rice, but there’s clearly a skill set that’s evident. Even more impressive when you look at how horrid a passer Illinois’ QB was. (Fleener, of course, had one of the all-time Stanford greats in Luck passing to him).

As I said at the top, I think you have every right to question the pick. I like that you are willing to go against the grain. However, in this case, I do disagree. Jenkins had a mid 2nd round grade by many of the top scouts, the Rams were reportedly eyeing him at the top of the 2nd round (maybe as early as #33), so the 49ers had to take him at #30 if they wanted him. If they graded him above all the others, I’ve got no problem with that decision.

April 27th, 2012 2:06 pm

26. mbabco

Lowell Cohn or Trent Baalke on this one? I think I’ll go with Baalke. Man’s got a pretty good record so far.

April 27th, 2012 6:33 pm