It has come to my attention that Grant Cohn, my son, has upset Niners offensive tackle Anthony Davis. Radnich and Krueger were talking about it this morning on KNBR.

This upsetting of Davis is a serious matter. Grant wrote a blog on Thursday from practice and Davis took offense and fired off several tweets criticizing Grant. Davis subsequently removed the tweets — I can’t imagine why.

But I take this matter of Cohn vs. Davis very seriously. I told Grant in no uncertain terms that it is wrong to upset professional athletes under any circumstances. I myself have made it a practice over a long career never to upset athletes, never ever to write anything to hurt their feelings even if it means not telling the truth. In this tough world we all need to get along.

FYI, as a penalty for upsetting Davis, Grant must do all the dishes at home for two weeks and I’ve taken away his car keys. To read what Grant wrote that sent Davis into a tizzy please click here.

Comments

1. NeverWrong

It’s the word “squeal.” I can’t imagine anyone being glad about that word applied to him. No matter the definition or connotation, “squeal” is, at best, an insensitive word choice. But since most writers are hyper-aware, it probably was intentionally tweaking, and Davis’s getting upset is the same reaction as anyone else would have. If I were in his shoes, Grant would be permanently stricken from my Seasons Greetings card list.

May 11th, 2012 11:05 am

2. Scott

Have you seen what Anthony Davis tweets? It’s foul. He constantly rants and uses vulgar language. I had to unfollow him on twitter. I think he’s an immature baby.

May 11th, 2012 11:15 am

3. Gopal

I don’t get it.

He wrote that Davis squealed like a child when Moss caught a pass.

That’s it?

That’s what got him upset, and set off his twitter tirade?

If I didn’t know better, I would think that Davis is attempting to create controversy just to get his name out.

May 11th, 2012 11:29 am

Hmmmm…I’m picking up a hint of sarcasm.
    Maybe it’s just me…
    *ALOHA*

May 11th, 2012 11:48 am

5. Tom

It’s certainly not the first time Davis has posted inflammatory tweets and deleted them (last year’s Lions game comes to mind). I wonder if the deletions are the result of him realizing he went too far, or if it’s just someone else on the team tugging on his leash.

May 11th, 2012 11:49 am

6. Johnny Christo

You making light of the situation stinks.

It’s not just AD’s twitter that is a foul, putrid shrine to Grant, but Grant’s entire blog, too.

As Mother’s Day approaches, it would be very fatherly of you to scroll down his most recent post with him and point out what should and shouldn’t make it to his page. It’s his page. It reflects very poorly on him.

Terms that have made it to his page, for example: herpes, cancer, retard, idiot, etc… Remember, this page has two very identifiable images on it: 49ers & Grant’s face. He is aligning himself by his writing with your brand, but by allowing the nastiness on his page, he is also aligning himself (his face) & the 49ers brand (their logo) with some of the worst, most childish aspects of humanity.

As a concerned father, I would be concerned…

May 11th, 2012 11:52 am

7. B-Rad

I hope that I’m 100% wrong when I say that Randy Moss is
    subtraction by addition, but are any of you happy that Crabtree
    is hanging with Moss? Do you think Crabtree’s Dad is happy
    about it? Does he think Moss will be a good influence on his son?
    A good influence? – right now, sure, but this is Moss’ MO when
    he first arrives with a team.
    …………..
    A.J. – go find Jerry.

May 11th, 2012 1:03 pm

I thought it was very funny. I am sure Grant is very uspest about the whole thing – especially losing the keys to the car and having to do the dishes.

As for Grants blog – I quit reading the comments. I found them to be a little immature for my taste. I like what Grant writes but I don’t bother reading the comments. He sure does get a lot of them.

May 11th, 2012 1:19 pm

Bay Area Sports Guy blog has all the tweets Davis made posted. Judge for yer-self.

J.Cristo, – Concerned? Humanity? ASPECTS!!!?..over Anthony Davis tweets??..man,your more sensitive then me by a country mile-lol…

May 11th, 2012 1:24 pm

Good for Grant!

Of course in the paranoid world of Coach Harbaugh doing the dishes is probably the least of his problems.

Hopefully the 49ers won’t completely overreact, demand Grant’s head, and if they don’t get it ban him from the facility.

Maybe the 49ers can hire John Herrera to take care of Grant…I hear he’s looking for work…

May 11th, 2012 1:30 pm

When I read that line I imagined Davis yelling like a kid in a schoolyard.

When Anthony Davis read that line he conjured up unpleasant images from the book/movie “Deliverance”.

May 11th, 2012 4:34 pm

Shark Dave makes an excellent point Lowell. Before Herrera shouted the “That’s not true Kawakami!” declaration..I hadn’t even heard of a Tim Kawakami..true. And Tim made the most of it..it made him a “name”.

I can hear it now…radio stations playing “I did NOT squeal,Cohn!!”…bumpers and introductions. Dang,I WISH it was me..lol…

May 11th, 2012 5:43 pm

Also Lowell, 49ernews.com says AD has started a “Stop Cohn” campaign. Are you and Grant scared?..lol…

May 11th, 2012 5:50 pm

14. Dr Feel Good

Whoa!, spitting in the interview room! My goodness, how shocking!
    Well, I guess there needs to be something to talk about, but thought we might do better than this- pretty desperate. Maybe a nice long break might be in order?

May 11th, 2012 8:39 pm

Daddy knows best………sounds like a fair punishment for Grant……….well at least you didn’t chew him out in public like Al Davis did to his son Mark when he disagreed with his behavior.

May 11th, 2012 9:50 pm

very good blog. Sometimes these grown up children make me laugh. Hard to take any of it very seriously.

May 11th, 2012 10:00 pm

17. Bryan

Skipping my personal opinions about who’s right vs. who’s wrong (only b/c I hate typing on my phone)… I hope this goes on for a long while… I can’t get enough… That said, I give it two more days before a couple higher ups squash it… Too bad… It’s very entertaining in a world where “reality” has become contrived…

CHEERS!!! To hoping I’m wrong…

May 11th, 2012 10:48 pm

18. speedee

somebody needs to get anthony a tissue, what a softee

May 12th, 2012 9:14 am

19. Streetglide

What your son writes – -to my eyes — is often hurtful and condescending. Lowell, you write with a smirk, but you have been doing it for years. Grant comes off in some of his writing as, well, you get my point.
    I’ve been banned from his blog because I wrote that someday he is going to take this needling thing too far and it’s going to end up in fisticuffs, something I would not want with a pro athlete. Or with a “friend” of a pro athlete. I wouldn’t want that either. No doubt he has hundreds of responses on his blog, but it is a regular crew of maybe 20 people; I have a feeling there are many he has banned he has banned whose voices no longer grace the P-D. We will never know, their voices have been silenced. I can write like this as well. It’s kinda neat. In a way. Did you notice that semicolon a bit ago? Just checking.

May 12th, 2012 3:40 pm

You’re not banned when you are polite. Grant does not have the power to ban people from his blog. That’s truth. I do, though, from my own blog.

May 12th, 2012 7:17 pm

Did you read Tim Kawakami’s blog Lowell?..where he quotes Harbaugh on spring training and the real test is how the players run around the “cones,and then the little cone”…uhuh..as in “The Cohn family… and we know who the “little Cohn” represents don’t we?

May 12th, 2012 7:26 pm

22. Streetglide

Lowell-san, the polite thing you mention is a two-way street. I was appalled at Gant’s column about his run-in with Davis. It wreaked of condescension. I’d like to see your son succeed at his craft. Why wouldn’t I? Everyone should succeed. But that also includes Davis. No one needs to be put down or made fun of, and I realize that is a dangling preposition.

May 13th, 2012 4:49 am