In a moment I will link to an article that, as far as I can tell, is strictly on the level. The New York Daily News is reporting that Melky Cabrera knew the authorities were on to his drug cheating, so he and some of his people endeavored to set up a phony website which, he could claim, sold him the testosterone which he “accidentally” took. The authorities cracked this lie pretty quickly, putting Melky even more in the soup. This guy NEVER can play for the Giants ever again. To read the Daily News article, please click here.

Comments

1. Rafaelle

NEVER AGAIN?

Mr.Cohn, how do you conclude he can never play for the Giants again? Perhaps that is your wish, but the Giants have a history of retaining dopers who can hit a baseball.

August 19th, 2012 9:10 am

If basesball really wanted to solve this problem they’d drive these agents out of the game, take away the All Star MVP award and figure out some way to vacate the player’s at bats…

Instead they feign shock and outrage…all the while Melky sits and Ryan Braun lights it up in Milwaukee…

Bernard Malamud’s dystopian vision in “The Natural” looks like Romper Room in comparison to what goes on in baseball today…

August 19th, 2012 10:02 am

I think he still can. He only cheated at baseball. And that’s a Giant tradition now that goes back to Gaylord Perry. He’s going to play for somebody unless it snowballs and he gets the Bonds treatment. After 30 year’s of this..its hard to get all that upset. Braun is actually still playing..and everybody KNOWS he’s a cheat. 30 hr? sure and 12 would be his best without the juice. He was another also ran who flamed up into a star.
    If Braun and Ramirez and Mota..why make Melky any different because he’s not any different?.

August 19th, 2012 10:05 am

4. Brady

I was okay with him coming back to the Giants after the ban. But now? no. go away, Melky. go far, far away.

August 19th, 2012 11:26 am

I know of a local GM that many in the media called “genius” for signing a 40 year old exposed steroid user (hard to call it cheat when most do it) and some of the biggest names in local media-Kawakami-Urban-Radnich..ALL called it a “No lose signing,win,win”..remember those days, people?

August 19th, 2012 11:48 am

..and then again, THAT org has strong ties to PEDs over its history.

August 19th, 2012 11:49 am

I have a question..did Canseco in his book ever reveal WHO got him those drugs?
    I do remember that coach for the A’s that one of the team announcers would say in amazement “wow,He’s more ripped now then when he played”..and that coach might have been mid 30′s to about 40 or so in the early 80′s. Time periods aren’t in stone.
    Just add one plus one.

August 19th, 2012 11:55 am

8. Capts

If you go by the Giants’ history, there’s a chance he could be back.

August 19th, 2012 11:56 am

Well if he isn’t on PED’s he won’t be playing for the Giants ever again. He is just not that good a player off of the PED’s.

August 19th, 2012 11:58 am

10. Bob In Portland

I kind of agree with Lowell and Stan. Like Stan, I just don’t get shocked anymore by these things. As for Cabrera never playing again for the Giants, sure, I’ll go along with it. Not necessarily for the moral reasons but because he could very well be the crappy pre-steroids Melky.

But it’s a game that has “stealing” as an integral part of it.

August 19th, 2012 11:59 am

11. barry bonds

this is PERFECT timing!! giants must resume contract talks immediately i think we can get melky to sign a 6 year extension worth 200k a year with incentives that can max out the deal at 2 mill over five years!! sabean!!!!

August 19th, 2012 1:01 pm

A good point made on another blog post…Why is Vogelsong having greater success now then when he was young?..uhuh.

August 19th, 2012 1:38 pm

Speaking of cheating and the sanctity and tradition of the game and all what are your thoughts on those batting gloves these players use today?

August 19th, 2012 2:21 pm

And lets include another who did nothing but get old,..then had sudden huge success. Alex Smith. Something helped fix that bum shoulder. uhuh.
    VD?..c’mon..when even when other NFL players and coaches admire your bod..they know. uhuh.
    Or,Justin Smith..serviceable all these years..and he’s better,stronger,faster,now in his 13th year than his 1,2,3rd?..uhuh.

August 19th, 2012 3:15 pm

Harbaugh!..take those names down… I got more for a later day..

August 19th, 2012 3:16 pm

16. eatmycumulous

This guy has had a complete melk-down. I think Lowell is correct, they guy not only cheated, but went to elaborate lengths to lie his way out of it.

You can’t believe him, and you can’t depend on him. If I were a Giant I wouldn’t want him on MY team. He might not even be that good without EPD’s. He’s just not worth the trouble.

I hope the Giants lose him like a bad habit!

August 19th, 2012 3:29 pm

17. Sean Nolan

Pretty hair-brain scheme, considering the resources of the Feds. and MLB. Their ruse had to be airtight when it wasn’t water or even dust-tight.

August 19th, 2012 7:09 pm

18. glenellen

sad

August 19th, 2012 7:26 pm

19. Steve

Kuip says it all: OUTTA HERE!

August 19th, 2012 10:19 pm

20. Newark

Ugh-ly . . .

August 19th, 2012 11:20 pm

Hmm,Melky gets wind they are investigating..and is it possible Volgy stops also?..and now he’s pitching with that “Oh,that’s why he wasn’t in MLB before he found the Giants,quality?”..conjecture,all I can say..but…

August 20th, 2012 10:09 am

More truth? I’m watching “Hoarders”..and the old woman is in tears and the family is torn apart..good TV drama. BUT,old Stan has HD…and I’ve known people who do that..And even though she wept at belongings here and there..I could see that even more stuff was new or almost new..and every surface in the house had shiny,clean bowls,cans..utensils. Every hoarder I knew didn’t have all new stuff. I mean,this woman’s “hoard” didn’t even have dust on it, c’mon!!..give me a break.
    I can tell you what must have happened..to make it more convincing the producers went to the dollar store and bought enough to “embellish” this woman’s problem.
    That will be the day a hoarders stuff shines…

August 20th, 2012 12:04 pm

23. Ray P.

Since you’re a Godfather fan, tell Melky

“You’re dead to me now. You’re not a Giant and you’re not on our team. I don’t want you hanging around the ballpark or the team. When you want to see the Giants play, I want to know a day in advance so I won’t be there!”

August 20th, 2012 12:31 pm

24. lameduck

I guess that we could get Jonathan Sanchez back for him. I’ll throw out a Ruben Rivera as a name of someone banned from the Yankees for stealing Jeter’s glove – but the Giants signed him… It was a team vote that him kicked off, so perhaps the team should vote on whether Melky can come back or not – after the 50 game suspension. It may be that the team is in the post season. If the team wants him back, let him come back. I’d give the players a voice in this.
    What I don’t know is what happened between Melky, Melky’s representatives, and the Giant’s front office during this and if bridges were burned through lies.

August 20th, 2012 1:08 pm

Speaking of batting gloves Dennis,Ray Fosse -good old Ray-..was telling a history lesson on those gloves..and that in the 70′s players were using skin tight Golfers gloves that soon fell apart with pine tar and what else.
    Who would have thought even batting gloves evolved?

August 20th, 2012 1:09 pm

One more while I’m hot…Have any of you ever seen so many dropped fly balls in one season?..has to be that dilution of talent in MLB.

August 20th, 2012 1:11 pm

And BASG has video of Harbaugh playing with Grant,Lowell…I read about it,I haven’t looked at it yet.

August 20th, 2012 3:02 pm

Because, I guess Harbaughs “I’m so much smarter then you” conversations with the media are old to me already.

August 20th, 2012 3:03 pm

Canseco got his steroids back in the 80′s from fellow weightlifters at the local gym……that’s what he said in his 60 minutes interview.

I think the Giants could still bring back Melky, but they should require him to wear a Melkmaid uniform when he plays as punishment.

August 20th, 2012 3:45 pm

Stan, Yes, I saw the video.

August 20th, 2012 4:12 pm

chris, I’ve been on vacation so I’m not entirely current on the Melky story. Has he gotten around to saying, “I take full responsibility?”

August 20th, 2012 4:13 pm

Stan, I don’t think the dropped balls are due to a lack of talent. I think PED’s has something to do with it. To many muscles in the wrong places. Catching a fly ball is more about feel and less about muscle.

August 20th, 2012 5:12 pm

He blows if he’s not juiced.
    He may not have ANY takers after the suspension.
    *ALOHA*

August 20th, 2012 5:44 pm

Fox Sports is reporting that Roger Clemons is aiming for a comeback after September call ups in Houston…awesome…

I say that Melky’s suspension should get overturned because the guy who collected the sample walked his dog and went to the movies before sending the sample to the lab…

That clears Melky…Ryan Braun style…then the G-men make a September push by signing Barry Lamar to play first base…

THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!!

August 21st, 2012 10:16 am

And how about that? Augusta’s first females are two woman from the “Hoover Institute”. And one,Condi’s view was pathetic, If they let her in that’s good she said,If not it was their decision she said in so many words. NO Jane Fonda thinking or for sure admitted yet.
    She also went on to talk about the many new connections she looked forward to making. Last month on Rich Leiberman’s blog I said what does Condi do besides just make connections? She pushes paper and makes speeches. I guess she read me..and now confesses!

August 21st, 2012 12:06 pm

Stan:
    13 of the 33 posts on this topic are yours.
    I understand that you’re enjoying yourself and that’s a good thing, but geez!
    This is blog, not a chatroom.
    I’m just saying…
    *ALOHA*

August 21st, 2012 4:29 pm

Rob..I predicted Condi…and you only have to read today’s Kawakami to read what I pretty much said the Stan way on Rich Leibermans blog. And ALSO here was the ONLY poster who said Conte was right..days before Bartolo was also caught.
    AND,you read it here first Rowand and Zito took the Giants for a ride..great season’s ending as soon as they signed with the Giants?..because why risk being caught? Better to get free money and stink. Zito,from the Beane and Alderson cheating factory fits the profile to a “T”.
    And..well,’m a hell of a lot better than any Mayan. And I haven’t made a penny from it. That’s why you know its true.

August 22nd, 2012 12:30 pm