Here is the opening to my Raiders preview:

This preview of the Raiders contains a huge bias. I must be up front about that.

So, what’s the bias? I am pulling for the Raiders. I am optimistic about the Raiders in the long term. I applaud what they are trying to do. As you read this, proceed with caution and keep my bias in mind.

Why the bias? General manager Reggie McKenzie and rookie coach Dennis Allen are remaking an entire team and that’s hard enough. But they are doing more than that. They are remaking a culture, one of the most deeply-embedded cultures of any team in any sport anywhere. It’s an almost impossible task, to grab the Raiders on the run and try to change direction, in fact to create a direction, haul them into the 21st century.

To read the full preview, click here.

Comments

1. Streetglide

Who is this team you speak of, the “Raiders?” There used to be a team with that name that played east of Frisco but I thought they moved south. Are you speaking of that flag football team that plays in Oakland? Didn’t know they were still in business; go figure…

September 10th, 2012 6:50 am

2. Frank in Minnesota

Nice observations Lowell and I too, will be watching the game tonight….I am rooting for this new regime….

September 10th, 2012 11:31 am

It looks like the same team as last year on offense..but no Bush. The defense?..the thinking I Have is..it cant be worse,but it cant be much better. Still,they would have made the playoffs if McFadden,like Gore,would have played in pain. But Darren wont gut things out for three hours a week.

September 10th, 2012 11:52 am

4. Capts

I hope streetglide realizes the 49ers were pretty brutal for nine years before last. Don’t get too cocky.

I have hope for this season. Something tells me the Raiders will surprise some people. But, it has been a long, brutal stretch, I certainly am apprehensive as well.

September 10th, 2012 4:00 pm

5. russell

No, Capts, it isn’t likely that streetglide, or his type of fan, will ever cop to realizing that. That’s the root of Niner/Raider hatred, our bay area trash talk. The Niners hadn’t won in GB since 1990 before yesterday, but you would think they have been the most dominant team in the NFL forever to hear the fans talk. Playoffs before last year? Thought so.. Like the Raiders fans, their fans grew tired of the ownership, head coaches were flowing like water and our favorite teams’ past glory keeps all of us engaged each year. As much as it gets me upset when fools spew, that’s really the joy of sports and why we get so fired up.

September 10th, 2012 7:06 pm

6. lameduck

How long does this honeymoon last? Harbaugh changed the culture in a lockout year.

September 10th, 2012 10:13 pm