Here is the opening to my Thursday column about the state of the Raiders:

This column is a plea for patience with the Oakland Raiders.

It is a plea for patience even though the Raiders lost their first two games, lost them miserably, lost to the Miami Dolphins, one of the allegedly beatable teams on their schedule. The Raiders easily could begin the season with five straight losses and could finish the season with fewer than four victories.

Please be patient.

Already some fans and sportswriters are criticizing the Raiders, just eviscerating them. Not fair. It’s impossible to reach conclusions after two games, and early devastating criticism ignores the root causes of the Raiders’ problems.

The Raiders have root causes.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

thank you thank you Lowell for not trashing AL Davis for this years dismal team even though I’m surprised you didnt. Kelly and Seymore are Davis disciples but your analysis seems fair….definitley Amana Freezer material those two are…..lol. I agree about putting Pryor in there sooner than later. He’s young and eager and seeing what RG 3 is doing in Washington, Pryor seems to fit the mold of the future QB in the NFL.

September 19th, 2012 7:29 pm

At the beginning of the “Iron Chef” competition , the contestants are given a specific main ingredient to make the meal. Don Schula would devise his schemes around what kind of players and talents he had. In other words if he had a square peg he would find a square hole.
    Your premise is interesting. The only problem is the waiting part because if coach losses too much he will be run out of town by the impatient Barbarians of The Raider Nation. Let’s hope not.
    NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG -Jerry Glanville

September 19th, 2012 8:52 pm

Like you I am not nor have I ever been a Raider fan. But I do have to say that your “The Square Peg in the Round Hole Theory” is what makes head coaches become former head coaches in the NFL. Allen’s problem is that Hue Jackson did more with this team than he will. And right now Hue Jackson is looking like the that round peg for the round hole that is the Oakland Raiders. Sticking with you theory I would submit to you that Allen is the square peg here. My guess is that Allen will not last long enough for the patience you are preaching to show results.

One final thought: you don’t have Carson Palmer on your team and call him a “square peg”. You trade him and get what you can if he isn’t your guy. It is better to lose without Carson Palmer than with him. I put that on McKenzie. He hired the wrong coach for the personnel he had or hired the right coach and didn’t get the type of players he needs. Your choice.

September 20th, 2012 8:07 am

Dennis, You may indeed be right. I am trying to be generous to McKenzie and Allen. I feel they deserve that at this point. Both may turn out to be duds. I don’t know, but we will find out down the line.

September 20th, 2012 9:30 am

5. Mike

Not a Raiders fun but love how Raider fans and media members should not overreact. Isn’t that what they do? Are you not the same guy who during preseason wrote that the niners blew it by not signing Manning? I guess preseason game are more important than real games. Raiders suck this year and that’s all that matters to a fan or yellow journalists.

September 20th, 2012 9:32 am

Readers at large, I post this but I honestly don’t know what Mike is talking about. If there is logic here or an actual train of thought, it escapes me.

September 20th, 2012 9:40 am

I agree that you are trying to be generous and will admit that it warms my heart to know that you are trying. Would you agree that this team would be doing much better, same personel, if Harbaugh was the coach?

September 20th, 2012 9:45 am

8. lameduck

How come the Raiders Organization deserves a break, but A.J. Jenkins does not?

September 20th, 2012 9:48 am

Dennis, I respectfully give a no comment on that. This is about the Raiders,not the 49ers.

September 20th, 2012 9:50 am

10. Brady

I think what Mike is incoherently trying to say, is that your “give them time, be patient, don’t jump to conclusions yet” mentality with the Raiders is what many of your readers are suggesting you do with the Niners.

With that said, the reasons you think we should give the Raiders a break are specific to the Raiders, not to sports teams in general. So it can go either way. But I do understand why some readers may feel confused about your stance on Manning/Smith/Harbaalke and AJ Jenkins given the content of this article.

September 20th, 2012 10:06 am

11. Streetglide

Blowing off Oakland for the fetid pleasures of Los Angeles has put the kybosh on the Raiders. Cubs, Red Socks and the Faiders are all cut from the same cloth. Too bad, cause those old Oakland teams were terrific…

September 20th, 2012 10:17 am

I don’t see it..I don’t see any betterment on this team. Some remember picked a 10-6 season..most all at least another 8-8. With a healthy McFadden? 8-8 is E-Z.
    And now we have the worst team in the NFL. Name any H. coach we have seen..and we SAW A SPARK from game one. Hue had done a great as OC..did far more then Cable with the exact same players. Was he too flamboyant? Yes. I’m willing to bet you Hue’s beauty shop pedicures rubbed Reggie so wrong he couldn’t wait to get him off the team. And Chris Townsend openly suggested that Hue had a kinky side he displayed in some way at Raider HQ. Chris never elaborated beyond that.
    Bill, John,Gruden,Mooch,Hue..all showed something from game one. Dennis has shown nooooothing. Nothing at all.

September 20th, 2012 10:24 am

13. Steve

I’m not a Raiders fan. I respected Al Davis for what he meant to pro football, but not for the way he handled the team in his later years (although the annual press conferences were incredibly entertaining). I don’t care whether this team rights itself, but the season is TWO games old and it will take a long time to disgorge the dead weight and horrible contracts of the Davis regime. Hue Jackson sold out the entire team with the ludicrous Palmer trade. What are Mckenzie and Allen supposed to do, field a team of beer leaguers? I’m with Lowell, give these guys a chance.

September 20th, 2012 11:10 am

It looks like the Raiders players have given up on the season already…holding open auditions for cornerback is a very bad sign and doesn’t lead in a positive direction.

If you’re going to go 1-15 do it with players who are going to be here…move all of these guys for draft picks…including McFadden…and give your organization some hope for the future.

September 20th, 2012 11:16 am

15. Dave T

I am on same thread with Steve here. Not a Raider fan, any way shape or form (Yes, again, unabashed Steeler fan here, but just a total sports fan as well) and I respect Al Davis for what he did for the game as a whole. But the fact is, and you can see it on the field, he lost serious touch with the ability to evaluate talent in his later years, and he has put his team in a serious hole for the near future. I am not saying there is no talent, just an array of talent with no real clear direction.

Two examples of success in taking over a team and the current talent on hand would be the Niners and Steelers and their recent changes. The Niners succeed because their staff has found a way to use the talent and adapt to what skills they bring to the table, and that the talent on hand was moving in the direction that this current staff agreed with. In short, it simply fit all around and where it did not, they have made small tweaks and not wholesale changes. In the case of Tomlin and the Steelers, it would be easy to say he took over the roster of a team that was only a year removed from winning a Super Bowl. Truth is he was smart enough to look at the roster, and the staff on hand, and made little changes, even the his preferred defensive scheme (He was the DC in Minnesota) is a 4-3 and not the 3-4 used by the Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau. Tomlin could have asserted his own desire to make his imprint on the franchise, but instead has trusted his assistants and front office and as a team and organization they have continued to have success, despite quite a bit of roster turnover and even a OC change. Hard to argue with a SB win and a second appearance.

I see this as a tough year for the Raiders, but as long as the staff has a vision in place, and a commitment to get there, and the ability to evaluate talent and get the most out of players, then they will improve during the year and going forward. So do be patient, it can and should be rewarded.

September 20th, 2012 12:18 pm

Fine, I’ll give them a break. But they are unwatchable at the moment. They don’t use the personnel they have wisely at all. All this talk about square pegs really highlights the fact that the new regime has a way of doing things come hell or high water, despite the fact that their personnel doesn’t match their scheme. That seems stupid to me. It’s the opposite approach from across the bay. Maybe next year…

September 20th, 2012 12:21 pm

Lowell, no need to comment unless you want to, but I was talking about the Raiders – their personnel and their coach. Last year you opined, I believe it was around the 49er/Raider preseason game, that the Raiders had a better team. This year you are talking about Square Pegs and Round Holes. The only difference I see this year with the Raiders is the coach.

September 20th, 2012 4:19 pm

18. Loneraider78

You have to write this season off, and it wouldn’t shock me if next year is more of the same.

This team won 23 games COMBINED in the previous three seasons and went into the draft with ZERO picks until the bottom of round three. Most teams (like the 49ers) who had good years last year all had first, second, third round picks. This all falls on Al Davis of course, who was running each season like it was his last.

The point is, how can we accurately evaluate McKenzie and Allen right now? They have a roster full of guys who would be lucky to play in Division II let alone the NFL.

Anyone who’s looking for blood this early into the process has to go seek help, get medicated and stay away from any TV that has an NFL game on it for awhile.

September 20th, 2012 5:17 pm

19. Loneraider78

Tiburon Dave, what are you talking about?

No one has mailed in anything.

They are working out corners because, in case you haven’t heard, both starters – who aren’t elite to begin with – are injured and are going to miss significant time.

They would be foolish to not look for more bodies.

September 20th, 2012 5:22 pm

And when George took over for Bill it was seemless. Greg and Dennis for Hue has been a wide gorge..a regular Grand Canyon.

September 21st, 2012 7:44 am

21. Fritz Q "Pepe" Newman Jr, PhD

I have no problem being patient (as if I have a choice), but I’m highly skeptical about any coach/coaching staff/coaching philosophy who can turn Darren McFadden into a so-so runnign back.

September 21st, 2012 12:32 pm