Here is an exchange that took place between the media and Greg Roman on Saturday. It still puzzles me:

Watching film against teams that have played the Bears, is there one team you hold as a shining example of, ‘That’s the team that handled the Bears well?’

“In different phases, yes, in different phases. I think from a ball security standpoint, there’s one team that jumped out to me. I’m not going to say who it was, but I thought they did a great job of playing fundamental, good football as far as carrying the football.”

Why in the world would Roman keep this secret? Do you think the Bears don’t know who played well against them or how they did it? I mean, come on.

Comments

He’s no Paula Broadwell.

November 18th, 2012 2:07 pm

2. mike

“For me to know, and you to find out,” because coaches have to find some way to make the game seem mysterious and beyond the comprehension of the lay person. Other wise, all of the media hype churned by the NFL and club PR staffs to promote the mystique of the game would be useless.

November 18th, 2012 2:40 pm

3. htwaits

Lowell, you have a lot of discretion about what you choose to write about in your blog. I’m curious about why you chose to parse Roman instead of making a few comments about what went on between Stanford and Oregon last night.

It seems to me that that game was rich in human interest, but you are more interested Roman’s non-comments.

Why Roman this weekend?

November 18th, 2012 4:28 pm

htwaits, I was at the 49ers yesterday and participated in Roman’s news conference. My paper did not send me to Eugene. I wrote a column about the place I was at. Simple as that.

November 18th, 2012 5:13 pm

5. Bob In Portland

That was quite a game, htwaits.

November 18th, 2012 8:03 pm

6. htwaits

Bob in Portland:

Indeed it was.

Lowell:

I understood that you were here and not in Oregon. So was I.

My point was that you seem more interested in what couches are not willing to comment on than you are in the drama that took place in Oregon last night. I can understand if you didn’t watch the game given Stanford’s recent history against Oregon.

November 18th, 2012 9:27 pm

The Bears know which team played well against them and how they did it just as anyone who goes back and reviews the games would.
    Anyone who really wants the answer to that question can go and find it out for themselves.
    It seems to me that Harbaugh et al have a policy of saying only what they absolutely have to say and nothing more.
    Why offer up information, even the obvious type, if you don’t have to?
    Roman doesn’t have to make your job easier.
    I mean, you guys don’t make HIS job easier, do you?
    I’m just saying…
    *ALOHA*

November 19th, 2012 11:14 am

KauaiRobert, I’m not asking him to make my job easier. But why would he raise a subject no one asked him about and then say he won’t tell us which team, when nobody asked that either. He’s not making my job hard. He’s making himself look silly.

November 19th, 2012 11:49 am