Now that Kendall Hunter is out for the season, the Niners need another running back. I wonder how they will handle this. They signed Brandon Jacobs in the offseason and it was a big-deal signing. Even though Jacobs was healthy, they almost never used him. This implies to me Jim Harbaugh is not wild about Jacobs. I am not questioning Harbaugh’s lack of wildness. Harbaugh likes darting, slashing runners like Frank Gore. Jacobs is not that kind of runner. He is a slam runner. He runs upright and slams into the line of scrimmage. He is not a Niners’ kind of runner and it puzzles me why Trent Baalke acquired him.

Maybe the 49ers will use Jacobs because now they have no choice. Or they could use LaMichael James or Anthony Dixon. But I don’t think Harbaugh is crazy about those guys, either. Or they could use Jewel Hampton. Really?

Comments

1. Myk04

Not so sure harbaugh doesnt like runners like Jacobs. Gore is a down hill runner as well as a slasher. Toby Gerhart? I think its just Jacobs. Hes a little kid!

November 27th, 2012 9:09 pm

2. Jerod Brown

Lowell,

I must admit I am a little worried about this injury also. Hunter was always Gore’s insurance and he seems to do well in that role. I can’t remember the exact games or situations late last season but I recall him stepping in for a couple games and doing okay. mainly not costing us games. Jacobs seems like a strange signing to me. Nonetheless it is worth noting that Matt Barrows retweeted Jayson Braddock saying “An underrated move that will go under the radar for most, is the activation of RB, Jewel Hampton for SF. A diamond in the rough when healthy. Sounds a little like Gore to me? And he turned out alright.

November 27th, 2012 9:22 pm

3. Rob

Maybe Harbaugh isn’t wild about the whole 2012 draft class.There is not a one who’s seen any significant playing
    time.Even now with Hunter and Williams out, it doesn’t appear as if the two top SF draft choices will be brought up. I’n beginning to wonder what gives here.

November 27th, 2012 9:29 pm

4. Brady

How do you know what type of runners Harbaugh likes? So far the only thing he’s shown to like in a runner is that they’re good – that’s why Gore and Hunter play, and Jacobs and Dixon don’t.

Harbaugh loved Gerhart. He was a pounder, not a slasher.

November 27th, 2012 10:10 pm

Whatever happened to LaMichael James and wide receiver Jenkins from Illinois ? They both got hurt and then vanished from the face of the earth. Does Grant have any inside scoop as to their health and whether JH has any interest in using them? Thanks.

November 28th, 2012 1:06 am

6. Streetglide

Blocking. Both Gore and Hunter are excellent blockers and when you have a stiff like Smith in the backfield that is vital. I’d be patient with the youngsters. I recall you questioning the Aldon Smith selection. He turned out all right and I think that the two youngsters mentioned will as well…

November 28th, 2012 6:14 am

7. Streetglide

As far as Jacobs goes, he was slugbait in New York. I think Harbaugh wants him to play with passion whwen the time comes. Dixon is a lousy runner, period.

November 28th, 2012 6:15 am

8. Ben

I’m ready to see what Lamichael James can do. Anybody else watch Oregon football? Kid is dynamic. Gore up the middle, James on the edge, Moss deep… sounds like a lot for a defense to think about.

November 28th, 2012 7:32 am

9. mbabco

Hmm, I got to wondering about what Lowell thought about the Aldon Smith Pick. First reaction, from an April 28, 2011 at 4:53 p.m. post, was neutral: “Aldon Smith? This sure was a novel pick. But was it a good pick? And did the Niners have to take this guy at 7?” – http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/13470/aldon-smith/

By 7:09 p.m. on April 28, he approved: “At first I was surprised when the Niners took Aldon Smith in the first round. I knew little about him and I sure didn’t expect him to go at No. 7 in the draft. Then I thought about things and, you know what, I think it’s a darned good pick. It’s a lot better than selecting the obligatory quarterback at No. 7. If Smith is as good as Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke think — I give them the benefit of the doubt in their first draft together — well, if he’s that good he can make a big difference. ” – http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/13476/aldon-smith-the-right-pick-for-49ers/

He wrote his column on it – “Bold 49ers make right choice” –

BTW, if you wonder what Lowell wrote about a topic, I recommend the search function at the top of the page.

November 28th, 2012 9:21 am

10. Brodie2Washington

I think its Hunter’s 5.2 yards per carry and knowledge of the offense that kept Jacobs, James and Dixon off the field.

The player that does the little things well (like blitz pickups) will be the one that plays the most.

Hampton is a project. I like his running style. Like Gore, injuries lowered his draft stock Does he have value on special teams?

November 28th, 2012 10:31 am

I’m surprised to hear from a few folks that LaMichael James is not ready. I had assumed that he would jump in there in this case as Kendall Hunter is a threat with his speed and quickness like James. So even though there is depth there, I think this offense has lost an element of explosiveness which is truly unfortunate.

Dixon is no solution. Don’t know anything about Hampton but maybe. As far as Jacobs goes, I guess he’ll be the guy since he has excellent post season experience. If nothing else, he is an excellent pass protector. But I expect play calling to be altered as a result of this injury. Possibly more passing! But who will do the throwing?

November 28th, 2012 10:35 am