What do you think about the trend of people calling Christmas Trees Holiday Trees? I’m 100 percent Jewish but we have a Christmas Tree in our house every Christmas. We call it a Christmas Tree. Grant was raised with Christmas Trees. He had a bar mitzvah but Mrs. Cohn Zohn was raised a Catholic and still likes a Christmas Tree. She has beautiful ornaments and we put them on together. One year Glenn and Nancy Dickey came by our house and we all decorated the tree together. To the best of my knowledge Glenn called it a Christmas Tree.

Comments

1. Dave T

More silly efforts be overly politically correct. It’s a Christmas Tree and the holiday associated directly with it, putting gifts under the tree is Christmas. One’s choice to celebrate or honor the holiday is simply that, a choice, but the item is a Christmas tree. It would be kind of like calling a Menorah a Holiday Candle holder in my book. Which even though I am not of the Jewish faith, I would find that insulting to those that are. No need to complicate things, keep it simple, it is a Christmas Tree.

December 1st, 2012 11:21 am

My annual “Christmas is more then Christians” post-lol. I think we all get what Christmas is. “He is the reason for the season” is not true. Its bigger then that. For a few hours here and there Christmas is utopia..all colors,tints,and shapes of people celebrating. Like America. Christians will say we are founded on Christianity…but America has moved past that. Christmas too.
    So when Neil Diamond or Barbara Streisand sing Christmas songs are played on the radio..I know its just a matter of time before the great influx of Hindu’s and Muslims over the last two decades also have stars who will sing “Little Drummer boy”..or “White Christmas..bet on it.

December 1st, 2012 11:49 am

I wish I could post a pic I took of a guy in a huge SUV with a near forest giant of a Christmas tree tied on top. Everything’s bigger in California.

December 1st, 2012 11:50 am

Hey Lowell,

I am going to pass on the question, what is your take on Brian Wilson, I see him going to the Dodgers, he likes it down there and I am quite happy Sabean didnot give in and over pay a guy who has two Tommy John’s surgeries. Also I am tired of the beard stuff, it ran it’s course.

December 1st, 2012 12:27 pm

5. Fudgehammer

I didn’t realize there was a trend out there to secularize Christmas trees, but from my point of view, it’s still a Christmas Tree and NOT a Holiday Tree, just like it’s still a Menorah and NOT a Holiday Candle Holder.

December 1st, 2012 1:07 pm

Yahoo FRONT page: “Crazy Tony,cousin of Honey-Boo-Boo arrested in Gorilla suit”
    Nothing more can be said.

December 1st, 2012 1:44 pm

7. Jumbo Shrimp

Life is good when that twefth page turns to the 1st! Just keep up the good will and waylay any negativity! Holiday tree = whatever tree = Christmas tree = Happy holidays. Lets condense that complex formula. It’s “Happy Holidays”

December 1st, 2012 2:34 pm

There is no such thing as a holiday tree. It is a Christmas tree. And by the way the word ‘holiday’ derived from the term Holy Day. So for those who think they are getting rid of any religious symbolism by calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree – you missed by a whole lot.

December 1st, 2012 3:28 pm

9. Dr. Feelgood

Must be Political Correctness circa 2012.
    Call it what you will, here’s what I DO know about those trees;
    If the size looks “just right” at the tree farm- it’s too big. Maybe WAY too big; be prepared to hack and haw on that baby to get it into a stand and short enough to not be scraping the ceiling.

December 1st, 2012 4:36 pm

10. Albert Park

It’s a Christmas tree to me and it always will be. The gifts are Christmas gifts, not holiday gifts. And the proper greeting is “Merry Christmas”, not “Happy Holidays” – unless you’re speaking to someone you know or suspect is Jewish, in which case “Happy Holidays” is more respectful.

My step-daughter-in-law is Hindu. I don’t know what to say to her.

December 1st, 2012 5:17 pm

11. lameduck

I’ve never heard of a holiday tree until now. My wish is that shooting off fireworks and fireworks shows become part of New Years celebrations.

December 1st, 2012 8:56 pm

12. Joe Sanchez

What trend? Straight from their website:
    “The Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree is a world-wide symbol of the holidays in New York City”

December 1st, 2012 10:48 pm

One more: a Yahoo story where the writer described sand dunes in Australia as “125 miles long and 23 miles tall”..as the jokes of a sand dune 4x taller then Everest were made and it was pretty much shown that the writer meant to write wide.
    But one guy said :” It is 23 miles high,and the space shuttle has to fly around it. Why do people question the veracity of these Yahoo stories?”.
    lol.

December 2nd, 2012 12:18 pm

14. mendozaline

Just for the record:

“Menorahs have seven branches and burn olive oil. There was a menorah in the Tabernacle, and then it was moved to the Temple. It was made out of pure gold, and all one piece. The instructions for how to craft it can be found in Exodus 25. Though now it’s become a symbol of Judaism, it was originally meant to symbolize the burning bush. The menorah was lit in the Temple, and when the Temple was looted by the Romans in 70 CE the menorah was taken to Rome and carried along during the triumph of Vespasian and Titus. A depiction of this event is preserved on the Arch of Titus that still stands today in Rome. It’s not clear what happened to the menorah after that. It may have been taken by the Visigoths or the Vandals, and later retrieved by the Bynzantine General Belisarius and taken to Constantinople. Basically, we don’t know, and no one seems to have it anymore. Anyway, the miracle in the story of Hanukkah is that the Maccabees were able to light the Menorah, and the light from that one small vessel lasted for eight days. So, to commemorate the miracle of the Menorah, we light a Chanukiah, which has nine branches—one for each day of the miracle and a shamash. The name “chanukkiah” was given only in the end of the nineteenth century in Jerusalem by the wife of Eliezer Ben Yehuda, the revivor of the Hebrew language, but today in Israel chanukiah means the thing you light on Chanukkah, and menorah means the thing that was in the Temple. The correct plural of menorah is menorot, but menorahs will do. The plural of chanukkiah is chanukkiot, but I guess chanukkiahs is cool, too. There is a difference. I think ultimately the menorah is cooler because there’s a lot more history behind a menorah, but chanukiot are almost always more interesting looking. Happy Chanukkah!”

December 2nd, 2012 5:29 pm

15. glenellen

Watch Macy’s, for one.

Before, they will call it their “Holiday Sale”.

But after, they will call it their “After Christmas Sale”.

December 3rd, 2012 10:07 am