I don’t want you to be sore at me, but I think the Patriots will beat the Niners in Foxboro. The Patriots will be home. It will be cold. The Patriots’ offense is very good — you saw the initial three drives against the Texans, scary. Tom Brady is Joe Montana. And Wes Welker is very good. The 49ers have trouble covering a slot receiver. Sure, I could be wrong. The 49ers also are very good. Call it a gut feeling on my part. The Patriots by ten points.

Comments

1. Sean

Lowell, it’s interesting that you say Tom Brady is Joe Montana. Around Super Bowl time you spent a few blogs explaining that you see Montana as superior to Brady. I think Brady has surpassed Montana but that’s blasphemous to say around here. Has your opinion changed?

December 14th, 2012 9:14 am

2. Ben

agreed, although would be happy to be proved wrong. spread that i saw was 5 pts in favor of NE. that’s about a field goal too small if you ask me.

December 14th, 2012 9:17 am

When the 49ers lost to the Fisher’s ..I said then that was like two losses because Ck isn’t going to beat the Brady’s.
    I expect another solid 49er effort–Harbaugh has been great and not ever letting a game get away. Just like the NFC finals last year..a fine effort,but falls short. CK,outdueling Brady? never going to happen.

December 14th, 2012 9:18 am

Sean, honestly it’s hard to say. Both great. Different eras. Brady is bigger, better arm, not as mobile.

December 14th, 2012 9:23 am

Wow Lowell!
    You’re really going out on a limb with that prediction.
    But consider this…the Warriors just beat the Heat in Miami.
    Any given Sunday, my friend…
    ~ALOHA~

December 14th, 2012 10:04 am

6. RC

My thought is the Niners will play this conservatively, not give anything away going into the playoffs. I agree somewhat with an earlier article you wrote (‘Kap underwraps”) but I believe the Niners have a reason (couple of reasons) the paramount goal being Super Bowl champs. I think it’s more JH’s style to keep them guessing till it really means something. I think that is the plan with Kap, the offense, as well as this game. I expect the Niners to play vanilla, and I expect it to be very close.

December 14th, 2012 10:35 am

RC, I respectfully disagree. Harbaugh will not play for the NEXT game. He will play for THIS game. It is how NFL coaches think. He wants to win now, as he should.

December 14th, 2012 10:38 am

8. Tommy CostaRica

Lowell in thinking along the lines of KauaiRobert I’ve got a feeling that the 9ers are going to blow them away like they did Chicago. Could go either way but I’m betting on the 9ers as dogs.

December 14th, 2012 11:04 am

9. mbabco

It will be very interesting, truly a yardstick game to see how the 49ers measure up to a really good team. If they lose to New England, they better beat Seattle the next week: if Seattle wins out and we lose to New England (and, if Seattle is winning out it means we lose to them), we don’t win the division. Desperate times!

December 14th, 2012 11:04 am

10. mbabco

Hmm, read this after my previous post. “Brady has taken 20 sacks on 517 dropbacks this season. He has held the ball three or fewer seconds on 70 percent of pass attempts.”

This raises questions. Can the 49ers pass rush get to Brady that fast? How come he can get the ball away so fast and take few sacks but not the two 49er QBs? Sure, part of it is Brady. Is part of it having receivers that are than far superior to those on the 49ers? Is part of it play-calling? Coaching?

December 14th, 2012 11:11 am

mbabco, We? See my post on this subject.

December 14th, 2012 11:26 am

Brady lost two Super Bowls, something that Joe Montana never did, end of discussion.

December 14th, 2012 3:03 pm

13. mbabco

Lowell, hmm. I think Ben (on that other post) is right. I am emotionally invested in the 49ers so I do say “we.” I sure do enjoy watching a game more when I’m emotionally invested. Well, that might not be completely true. When “we” are being unimaginative on offense and getting bonehead penalties it’s infinitely more frustrating than watching someone in a non-”we” game mess up.

December 14th, 2012 3:15 pm

14. K.G.

Funny that you should say that Lowell, the New England Pats remind me of the SF 49ers dynasty teams of the 1980′s. From the top to the bottom, the Pats are the 49ers of the 80′s, Excellent Ownership, Excellent Players, Excellent QB and whether you like him, or not, the Pats HC is Excellent too.

In the 1980′s SF had the same…The best QB, Players, Owner, and Head Coach…Those were heady the days in SF for the 49er Franchise.

December 14th, 2012 6:53 pm

New England is a juggernaut right now. I don’t think the Niner defense can stop them. All the good quarterbacks score on the Niners…Brees, Eli Manning, and now Brady’s turn. Niners will have to score 30+points to win.
    New England will disguise defenses to confuse rookie Kaepernick. This game scares me. I hope I am wrong by agreeing with you Lowell. If they lose they will learn a good deal and hopefully adjust the next time around in playoffs.

December 14th, 2012 7:32 pm

16. Jumbo Shrimp

Montana much better athlete than Brady. Brady had the best idol of all time to look up to and learn from as a kid, Joe Montana. There is value in having been in this football market throughout the 80s, and Brady is proof. Also, see Rodgers.

December 14th, 2012 10:45 pm

17. Robert

Sadly I must agree. Niners have had difficulty defending short passes. Quick slot receivers give the Niners headaches. Brady is a master at finding open receivers with split second decision making. Kap is still learning how to read defenses. Pats will win the game. At some point NIners will have to favor the pass and not the run game.

December 14th, 2012 11:21 pm

18. b4huxley

The only way the 49ers can win this game is if by some supreme effort Harbaugh creates a stellar gameplan over the patriots genius coach. This game in my opinion won’t be so much about physicality and raw talent but more about the perfect game plan if the niners can hit that they have a chance. If not this game will look like the giants game.

December 15th, 2012 8:06 am

If the 49ers are able to shorten the game…the have a punchers chance…

If they get into a shootout…long flight home…

December 15th, 2012 5:29 pm

20. Bill

Open mouth, insert foot Mr. Cohn. You were famous for this move while writing for the Chron. You haven’t changed. You keep picking the wrong end of things.

It’s time to believe sir. It’s time to believe.

December 18th, 2012 2:23 pm

21. Glenn

Is there one person out there that honestly thought the Niners
    could win a shootout against the Pats?? If anyone says yes
    to that question, NEVER believe anything he tells you…

December 20th, 2012 11:16 am