No way I could make dinner tonight. Ditto for Mrs. Cohn Zohn. “I’ll make Hamburger Helper,” Grant said. It is one of our guilty pleasures. He zooped down to Safeway and got the Stroganoff Helper and he cooked it and we ate it with a humble Jadot Beaujolais Villages. It was superb. I also love Rice a Roni. Hey, we eat great at our house when Mrs. Cohn Zohn is up to it, but there’s something unbeatable about Hamburger Helper and Rice a Roni. Talk to you from Sunday’s game.

Comments

1. Jerod Brown

Staples in my house. Sounds like a killer pregame meal.

December 29th, 2012 9:33 pm

2. lameduck

Mrs. Duck has been hacking away and were having left overs.

Lots of good wine but my favorite was a dessert wine, Antigua California. Muscat.

I’ve been holding off on the computer virus /peoplesoft bug puns, but I need to wash my phone now.

December 29th, 2012 10:18 pm

3. Brian in Oakland.

Hey Lowell! Stanford played Lafayette college tonight! Lafayette made a game of it too. That Beaujolais is one of the best in the Safeway roster.

December 29th, 2012 10:50 pm

Tuna Helper too. Just add cream of mushroom and twice the tuna- I want to taste it- it says on the box. Fine eating.

December 30th, 2012 7:58 am

5. Frank in Minnesota

Yes! It’s ‘fun’ food….stuff to have once in a great while and sometimes it makes the evening…of course a nice red wine helps!!!! Hope you and the Mrs. feel better and enjoy the games today…….

December 30th, 2012 8:58 am

6. Soccerjim

This was a staple for me years ago, and I loved it, and now I amkinda getting back into it. Dont forget the canned corn. It goes great with the roni, and helper(lasagna for me)
    Another great easy one is Sausage, garlic noodles and Broccoli.

December 30th, 2012 9:44 am

7. Brodie2Washington

I could never figure out why Jerry Rice never got a Rice-a-Roni endorsement deal. I can just see the commercial now… Jerry catches the TD as the song goes “the flavor can’t be beat…ding-ding.”

December 30th, 2012 9:52 am

Oh,big tip to Tuna helper…add shredded spinach. Makes it healthy along with taste better. Pat. Pen.

December 30th, 2012 10:53 am

Hamburger Helper…….total 1970′s food memories…….and Rice a Roni, the San Francisco treat.

December 30th, 2012 1:57 pm

10. Phil Brown

Sometimes they get the chemical balance just right.
    And since I’m 65 and a San Francisco native, just how did Ricearoni become The San Francisco Treat? I don’t remember anything like it except for it when I was growing up.

December 30th, 2012 4:00 pm

Ever since my 21 year old has been living with us, we have the guilty pleasure twice a week. It is cheap and fills you up.

December 30th, 2012 5:08 pm

12. Piggyback Doug

Zatarain’s Dirty Rice.

December 30th, 2012 5:57 pm

13. mbabco

Lowell, you recently wrote a column “Jim Harbaugh is over-rated.” Here’s a Matt Maiocco quote: “Jim Harbaugh became just the third coach to win a division title in both of his first two seasons after inheriting a team with a losing record.” Hmm, perhaps like the much maligned hamburger helper, Harbaugh deserves a little more respect?

December 30th, 2012 7:04 pm

mbabco, Maiocco quotes a relevant fact. Let’s see how far the Niners go this season, I’m prepared to praise Harbaugh more once he deserves it. I have more history with Hamburger Helper than I do with Harbaugh.

December 30th, 2012 9:58 pm

15. Nancy R

I like zoop.

It’s snowing like mad here in Missouri. I got to the store in the nick of time to stock up on kale and cilantro for the rabbits. Rab a Roni for them.

December 31st, 2012 6:16 am

16. Streetglide

Never ate hamburger helper or any other helper in my life…

December 31st, 2012 10:38 am

17. Streetglide

And I refuse to use the word “nor” on general principles…

December 31st, 2012 10:39 am

18. Dave T

Hamburger Helper, Rice-A-Roni and Mac n Cheese are staples in this household. Add hamburger to Mac n Cheese or Nathans/Hebrew National dogs is also a fan favorite around here. Of course have to have the salad to go along with, get some greens in as well. Heck, some fresh or canned green beans is good too.

December 31st, 2012 11:09 am