Barry Bonds didn’t get elected to Baseball’s Hall of Fame. What did he expect? Roger Clemens didn’t get elected either. In fact, no one did. Bonds got 206 votes and came in 9th. It takes 427 to get in. I didn’t vote for Bonds.

Comments

My take is..blame baseball. All they had to do is be honest and say steroids was rampant in baseball for decades. And then Pardon all users pre a certain date. But baseball wont do that,as they stick their heads in sand. Selig wants to still push that Baseball has been as wholesome as Disneyland,while he of course knows all the dirty secrets that are in any corporation.
    And why..baseball still has cheats. The same “older players have a revitalization” right up to today’s Giants still happens.
    Heads in sand.

January 9th, 2013 11:18 am

2. Bob In Portland

The Hall of Fame is now irrelevant.

January 9th, 2013 11:48 am

DId you see the look Harbaugh gave Purdy when he was asked about the Bonds vote?
    Oof,If looks could kill. And ” This isn’t the right time” is classic humiliation of the questioner answer.
    Awkard- uncomfortable. Take your pick.

January 9th, 2013 1:38 pm

Awkward.

January 9th, 2013 1:39 pm

Big shocker on the Bonds no-vote Lowell.
    I’m sure none of us saw that one coming.
    More importantly though…who DID you vote for???
    ~ALOHA~

January 9th, 2013 2:55 pm

6. JayT

Why even have a Hall of Fame at this point? What a joke.

January 9th, 2013 3:25 pm

7. JDW

While I am not surprised that Bonds/Sosa/Clemens/etc. did not get in, it is a surprise that no one was voted in at all.

January 9th, 2013 3:31 pm

8. Peter

I don’t know Barry(although about 40 years ago he did push me off a big pile of dirt while playing King Of The Hill at a grade school camp in the Santa Cruz mountains), but suspect he did not and does not expect enshrinement.

January 9th, 2013 4:09 pm

9. Ben

Lowell, i’m a loyal reader and appreciator of yours. so i hope this comment doesn’t insult you. you’ve contended — and i refer back to your column in december — that your “no” vote was based on moral grounds, for bonds as well as for clemens, sosa, et al. of course i don’t doubt that you believe this. but i do suspect that you’re not being entirely truthful when it comes to your reason for voting no on bonds. not calling you a liar… just saying that it seems to me like you’re omitting another part of your reasoning. specifically, that bonds was/is a total a-hole to fans, the media, and maybe even to you in particular at one point or another. i’ve seen you hold what seem to be personal grudges against sports figures, and sometimes these grudges tend to shine through in your writing in an obvious way. bonds is an example. don nelson another. is there a shred of truth to any of this, or am i missing the mark entirely?

January 9th, 2013 4:54 pm

10. Raffaele

Gee, a good news day!

But too bad that Biggio, Piazza, and Schilling didn’t make it.

January 9th, 2013 4:59 pm

Ben, I don’t like Bonds and I know that comes through. To the best of my knowledge I did not vote for him because I believe he cheated. I did not vote for McGwire for the same reason and I know him and like him. I also didn’t vote for Clemens and Sosa — I don’t know them and have nothing against them. You may be right about me, but that’s how I believe my mind worked on this.

January 9th, 2013 5:06 pm

Just Desserts for each of these men…

And now Saint Lance is going to sit on Oprah’s couch and weep about how he was just doing what everyone else did…

Then he’ll weep about all the good he’s done…

The music will rise in cresendo as Oprah weeps alongs with him…

and all will be forgiven…except for the people whose lives he ruined through lies and lawsuits all to line his own pockets…

Forgive me Ben…I don’t like any of these guys…they all did it for the money and there were many victims…just ask that poor schmuck who sat in the can for two years rather than tell the truth about Barry Lamar…

January 9th, 2013 6:36 pm

13. russell

Hall of Fame = Revisionist History of Angry Writers. We all know who belongs, too bad our children and grandchildren won’t have a clue unless they dig for it.

January 9th, 2013 7:36 pm

14. eatmycumulous

Boo!

January 9th, 2013 9:33 pm

15. mbabco

Personally, I think it’s a travesty that Bonds isn’t in the Hall. My own opinion: judge by what they did on the field.

January 10th, 2013 12:32 am

16. Bray

Tiburon Dave- Of course it was for the money, baseball needed a comeback after the strike, Selig collected all kinds of change for allowing, possibly even pushing the use of steroids. Remember the “chicks dig the long ball” commercials? MLB produced those with full knowledge of WHY there were more HR. 90+% of those involved are guilty be either usage, accomplice, or allowing it, this includes writers, broadcasters, agents, managers, GM’s, and players.

All in or all out. Gossage is SO off base, it’s not like telling your kids ‘It’s OK to cheat’. Teach your children the REAL ways of the world, not some fantasy crap, and they will understand.

I guess if you used any pain killer whatsover, you shouldn’t get in either, that allows numbers to be compiled when you might otherwise be sitting on the bench with a sore hammy. Where is the proverbial ‘line in the sand’?

January 10th, 2013 7:43 am

17. JayT

Greenies. Greenies. Greenies. That’s all I have to say. What a load of crap. The game never was and never will be pure. Only the truly self-important and/or naive believe otherwise.

January 10th, 2013 2:00 pm