Here is the opening to my Sunday column about Colin Kaepernick’s performance Saturday night against the Packers:

SAN FRANCISCO

Excuse me, but I was laboring under a misapprehension. I thought Superman was make-believe, a character from comic books, TV shows and the movies.

That was before I saw Colin Kaepernick play Saturday night against the Green Bay Packers, who, I’m sure, never saw anything like him. It’s true that Superman in the comics has blue hair and wears those funny pajamas, but aside from that small difference Kaepernick is a real-life Superman. He can leap tall buildings in a single bound and he sure can play quarterback.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

@dharte
    Colin Kaepernick is better than Alex Smith. End of Story!

January 12th, 2013 11:27 pm

2. Funx

He’s a centaur

January 12th, 2013 11:46 pm

3. Peter

The quarterback is often the story. Kaepernick was amazing. For people who understand X and O’s (not I) isn’t the story the coaching staffs, specifically Greg Roman capitalizing on Kaep’s unique threats and Dom Caper’s apparent lack of preparation?

January 12th, 2013 11:50 pm

4. htwaits

Lowell,

Good call on the game. I never expected Kaepernick to be that good tonight, and I was worried about the defense.

January 13th, 2013 12:33 am

5. lameduck

Forgive me, but the Packers got “KAPPED!”.

January 13th, 2013 3:04 am

6. Nancy R

It’s a Bird. It’s a Plane. It’s Colin Kaepernick!

January 13th, 2013 5:15 am

7. Nancy R

I didn’t think CK taunted the Packers nor should he have been penalized. His was a spontaneous moment of genuine excitement. It’s too bad spontaneous (unharmful) expressions of delight have become over regulated. We turn the players into automatons who can’t even express a genuine emotion of the moment. It’s our emotion they are expressing too.

A telling moment was a camera shot of Clay Matthews. The look on his face said he was befuddled, bemuddled and bedazzled by the galloping god who was presenting him with an entirely new paradigm of playing football. In my opinion the game of the year will be the Seahawks against the Niners. These are the two teams who are reinventing the game.

January 13th, 2013 6:48 am

Well,I guess he proves a QB his size can run too. First you had Shak as the over sized-but proportioned ( not a stick) athlete,then Bolt proved that now big man can be the fastest on Earth,and now CK…the first running big QB in the NFL’s history.

January 13th, 2013 8:09 am

Lowell,

Nice column, I am a Kaep believer, just one thing, Alex Smith had his 15 minutes of Fame against the Saints, and he played a good first quarter and played a great 4th quarter, but it was 3 and out for the entire second and third quarter. I would not call that a great game but it was a great win.

January 13th, 2013 10:31 am

Kapernick superman?……please…….defenses are so bad in the NFL these days I wouldn’t go very far in saying a rookie QB is the best in the game…….look what happened in Denver in the last minute and in Atlanta in the 4th quarter. These are defenses of playoff teams……the 49ers probably have the best D in the league and still gave up 30 points…..yeesh.

January 13th, 2013 4:58 pm

Chris, Did I say Kaepernick is the best in the game?

January 13th, 2013 5:01 pm

ah I thought i’d get busted on that one……you got me I didnt read the column before I commented……..now I just did read it and no you didnt call him the best, but you did say he may be the best ever……..I just wasnt that surprised by what he did based on the average Packer defense and also the way running QB’s are having their way this year, like RG3.

January 13th, 2013 5:39 pm

13. Joe H.

Lowell,

You were obviously a Superman comic book reader as a kid.

I recall reading a story about two Supermen, where one was Red and the other Blue (following some event).

That was the Good Colin, then there was the Bad Colin.

January 13th, 2013 6:45 pm

14. B-Rad

Quotes from SPORTS ILLUSTRATED writer Kerry J. Byrnes:

JAN 9 – S.I..com
    San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh will regret the decision to bench
    highly efficient quarterback Alex Smith in favor of Colin Kaepernick in the
    middle of the season. And there’s a good chance that moment of regret will
    come Saturday night at Candlestick park.

JAN 12 – 5:32PM – Twitter
    Kaepernick pick-6 on second pass. Alex Smith 20 of 26, 2TD, 0 INT,
    125.6 rating in week 1 win at Green Bay.

JAN 12 – 5:42PM
    We ran the numbers recently. Believe teams that throw pick-6 are 15-85
    in the postseason.

JAN 13 – 1:30PM
    Other than questioning Kaepernick decision and picking Atlanta Falcons loss,
    everything’s gone well this week for us.

January 13th, 2013 7:26 pm

15. mbabco

I’d add something that you said about Alex Smith after the Saints game last year (and I paraphrase here). “He’s proved he can have a great game. Now he has to go out and do it again.”

January 13th, 2013 8:02 pm

Yes, Nancy R, Clay Mathews was amazed, agape, and agog.

January 14th, 2013 2:56 am

17. Gopal

Two things:

1) Prior to the 2011 draft, the standard line about Kaepernick was that he had tremendous potential, but somebody would need to re-make his awkward throwing motion in order for him to be successful in the NFL. Has that happened?

2) What does it say about Harbaugh and staff that the current 49er offense no longer bears any resemblance whatsoever to the Stanford Cardinal offense, when the two offenses appeared to be nearly identical in September?

January 14th, 2013 12:24 pm

18. dharte

@johnc

Just saw this. Kaepernick was remarkable, especially after that awful pick 6 (which might have crushed the confidence of an inexperienced QB in his first playoff game). That was a great performance.

But don’t forget where we are…this year. Alex Smith was fantastic in the same playoff round last season: beat a former MVP and Super Bowl winner with one of the great NFL playoff performances.

So now Kaepernick and Harbaugh have earned their close up: the NFC Championship game–no excuses.

Remember, John, the argument was never that Smith was the better choice long term; the question was more focused: who is the best choice to win a title this year. Right now it looks like Harbaugh made a savvy call. But, as you and Lowell both know, the NFL can be cruel, week to week. The kid needs to come through on Sunday. This team needs to win, this year. Justin Smith and Frank Gore are not getting younger. We’ll see.

But, no question, he’s clearly an exceptional talent.

The fact that the 49ers chose both Aldon Smith and Kaepernick in the same class looks like an amazing draft.

January 14th, 2013 10:45 pm

19. Travis Colby

Superman! Please… Where was superman when he got slammed by the Seahawks, Rams, and Vikings, stop trying to promote this player prematurely through the press. He had Greenbay running man coverage, they spread the field and he ran the ball, big deal, my grandma couldve scored those touchdowns, quit kissing this rookies butt, next year they’ll have an answer for this pistol offense and will shut it down just like the 4-6 shut down the west coast offense.

January 18th, 2013 3:20 am