It is being reported by multiple sources that 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree is being investigated for sexual assault. This is a serious charge but it’s only a charge not a conviction or even an arrest.  I do not know if he will play on Sunday. Although after the San Jose Mercury News said he did not accompany the team to Atlanta, the 49ers said he did arrive at the team hotel.

I’m only reporting the little I know. To read more about this, please click here.

Here is another link to this developing story. What I am about to write seems trivial if Crabtree really did assualt someone — and I apologize for being crass –but if Crabtree does not play against Atlanta, the Ninerscould be in deep trouble. Crabtree could be in deeper trouble, although then again he may not be in deeper trouble and he may play. Stay tuned.

Comments

1. NeveWrong

Since he’s being investigated presently and allowed to play on Sunday, depending on your point of view it’s likely the sex was sordid, freakish, or liberated, but not illegal.

January 18th, 2013 11:55 pm

2. Brandon Conway

Being investigated for and being investigated in connection could be different things. Perhaps he was pointed out as a witness or something. Either way, bad situation in general.

January 19th, 2013 12:14 am

“What a revolting development this is.”– William Bendix , “Life of Riley”.

January 19th, 2013 1:53 am

4. John Sousa

The 49ers get Patrick Willis to have a girlfriend who dies of Leukemia the same day as his grandmother, then nobody will ask about Rapey players, they’ll just be focused on the inspirational story of a linebacker and his one true love who passed from this earth too soon. It worked for Notre Dame when their players got accused of Sexual Assault.

January 19th, 2013 7:35 am

5. Rap49er

Remember the same charges against Panda last summer? I guess he missed the playoffs and we lost the World Series?

January 19th, 2013 7:57 am

Rap49er, Let me set you straight. There are no charges against Crabtree, so you’re wrong on that point. You seem to take this issue lightly, whatever the issue is. I can assure you the Niners and Crabtree do not take this lightly. You’re even more wrong on this second point. Gee.

January 19th, 2013 8:00 am

On a team that signed Perrish Cox,to say “We take these things serious” ? Is the hypocrite team post of the year.

January 19th, 2013 8:44 am

..And I hope the 49ers PR people put my post right under Jed’s nose.
    Somebody needsto tell him right from wrong.

January 19th, 2013 8:46 am

9. Seth

I would imagine high profile athletes have to deal with this sort of thing all the time. All it takes is for one of these young guys to hook up with one of the many girls throwing themselves at these athletes and afterwards she says it wasn’t consensual hoping to hit the NFL lottery.

January 19th, 2013 3:38 pm

“We take this very seriously” is the HR code and buzz phrase equivalent of “I take full responsibility”..

January 19th, 2013 4:26 pm

In otherwords…unless your a third stringer? We do nothing. 3rd strings we cut…

January 19th, 2013 4:27 pm

12. russell

Aldon, Perrish, Crabtree. Real character on this team – goes nicely with the fans at the stadium these days. Please tell me about how criminal the Raiders and their fans are again Niner fans,,,,,

January 19th, 2013 4:38 pm

13. MJ

Stan, what part of “acquitted” do you not understand? Is a person who went through the legal system not allowed to continue his career when he has been acquitted of those charges? God forbid you ever get accused of any crime. Accused, not found guilty, same as Perrish Cox.

I thought this was American people. Innocent til proven guilty.

And no it is not hypocritical. Crabtree was questioned and we shall see where this proceeds. Cox was accused, arrested, tried, and acquitted, its not like the guy was found guilty of the charges. They aren’t employing an ex-con rapist. You don’t like the results, that’s fine, but calling someone something they aren’t is ignorant, and respect the legal system for you yourself may one day need it.

With Crabtree, I’m withholding judgement. No need to talk down about him as some people would, calling him a thug, animal, etc. And also no need to talk down about the accuser, saying she’s just looking to get paid, as I’ve seen countless others do on some other boards on the PD. Far too serious a matter.

Also, highly doubt 49er PR know or care about the “celebrity” that is Stan.

January 19th, 2013 5:49 pm

14. lameduck

Any pro athlete is a target.

January 19th, 2013 6:09 pm

Justice wears the blindfold. I can see DNA evidence when I read it.
    She aborted a baby with his DNA,he said “I never “touched” her”.
    Explain that.

January 20th, 2013 9:07 am

16. russell

Not that anyone will read this thread any longer, but looks like Niner fan I mentioned travels too!

January 20th, 2013 9:05 pm