At Super Bowl media day today, Randy Moss proclaimed he is the best wide receiver who ever lived. The man is a twit. For starters, you don’t proclaim your own greatness. That’s for other people to say. And there’s the issue of him being plain wrong. Jerry Rice was better. Rice happened to play for the Niners so Moss is belittling a local hero. Twit. Rice had guts and ran across the middle and got slammed. Moss does not like to run across the middle. He doesn’t take hits. From what I heard — a good source — he had a route over the middle at the Oakland Coliseum when he was a Raider. They still had the dirt infield for that game. Without telling anyone he ran deep instead of across the middle. Later he said he didn’t like to run on dirt. Moss almost never speaks to the local media. His business. He finally talks and this is what he says? Twit.

To read more about Randy Moss, not the greatest receiver who ever lived, click here.

Comments

1. Brandon Conway

I think people are making way too big of a deal about his statements.

January 29th, 2013 11:28 am

Brandon, Why?

January 29th, 2013 11:34 am

You should have the record stats for your position to even start with that. Or,like Montana, the important stat of championships. And many.
    Randy’s Raider years killed any admiration fans has for him. I thought Al made a great trade-another for the ages- until I saw Moss let a ball bounce off his shoulders. Sorriest thing by then was -Al was totally devoted to his players and the no discipline that worked for Oakland decades ago was backfiring.
    He really needed to have been fined,suspended. Moss,like some had the kiss-a## life. He got away with it.

January 29th, 2013 11:57 am

Seems an obvious attempt to distract the media circus away from other potentially distracting issues like Colin vs Alex. Moss couldn’t give a damn about the media so will say/do anything to take the focus off others and place it on himself. It actually might be the most unselfish thing I’ve ever seen him do.

The question of him being the best ever seems ridiculous, but I suspect even he must know that.

January 29th, 2013 12:11 pm

5. Dave

I think so too. Maybe its intended as a decoy statement to help Randy get more attention through out the week as he’s the veteran or on Sunday to help open things up for other receivers.

Besides if you’re near the top you’re going to think you are the best.

Almost a non-story IMO. But what do I know?

January 29th, 2013 12:20 pm

6. Jumbo Shrimp

most talented definitely but not the best
    best is jerry rice, but randy is most talented
    maybe randy did this to take the heat off the rookie QB
    maybe Harbaugh instructed him to do it
    who knows why he said what he said, but what he said isn’t totally wrong

oh and he did what any sane person playing for the al davis raider should do … give 50%

January 29th, 2013 12:22 pm

7. Brandon Conway

Lowell – because a lot of athlete’s have the same attitude regardless of the facts. It’s part of what drives them to success. To consider themselves the best is just in his nature. Ali was bragging about being the greatest well before his career was over, for instance.

January 29th, 2013 1:48 pm

Actually from what I have read he may have a case. Rice played for 20 years and had Montana and Young throwing to him on winning teams. Moss has played for 14 and nowhere near that caliber of QB throwing to him with the exception of Brady for a short time in New England. I certainly wouldn’t call him a twit. I would look at the stats and the circumstances of each players career first. I think it is a lot closer then you think. Certainly not twit status.

January 29th, 2013 1:49 pm

Another doping..Geo and Arod and Milky along with others..all caught up in a Miami “health center”. It will never end.
    Arod? habitual.
    The Texas outfielder who was a scrub until he his 30′s…sounds like a couple of present Giants.

January 29th, 2013 1:51 pm

10. Euler Bernoulli

Lowell Cohn is the greatest sportswriter that ever lived.

Just ask him.

Wide receivers are the primadonnas of the NFL. Get over it. Jerry Rice wanted the ball more times than he ever got it, or does Lowell forget that?

Lowell, you’ve turned into a grumpy old man. I can remember your columns written on green newsprint, and don’t remember you being so snipey. You think you can be a better offensive coordinator than Greg Roman just because you were lucky and “predicted” a first pass to Crabtree-as if there were orders to Kaepernic to throw it to him on the first play. You obviously dislike Harbaugh, which is not an issue with me, the problem is it colors your writing.

When Harbaugh hoists the championship trophy, I’m sure you’ll spit at the TV. Harbaugh has a big ego? Surprise, surprise! Note that this is a prereq to be a successful head coach.

January 29th, 2013 2:10 pm

11. lameduck

I think it’s funny. If Randy believes what he’s saying then he has a bit of Ali in him and I hope he plays like it on Sunday and proves it.

January 29th, 2013 3:18 pm

12. eatmycumulous

How do we define best?

Most talented, or best stats and very consistent over time?

I think for a time Moss was almost unstoppable. If Rice played in the same era he probably would have been just as dominant.

For the record I do think Rice is the best WR of all time. Best player too, a hair better than Lawrence Taylor.

January 29th, 2013 4:07 pm

13. eatmycumulous

To answer your question Lowell I don’t believe he is a twit. I might agree the comment was brash, and perhaps ill-timed. At the same time, I don’t think it will be a distraction for the game.

From all reports I’ve read he’s been a very positive leader among the receivers and in the locker room in general. I heard on the NFL Channel he addressed the team before the trip to New Orleans to impress upon them that this is a “business trip” – stay focused.

It sounds to me he’s been a positive force on the team.

By the way, I looked up the definition of “twit” in the dictionary. Right next to the definition was a picture of Terrell Owens.

January 29th, 2013 4:15 pm

I think he meant to say…

“I’m the KING of the WORLD!”

January 29th, 2013 4:24 pm

15. KezarMike

Maybe this is a good thing. I mean, maybe Moss will feel under some pressure to “prove it” after claiming this. Two long TD passes in the Super Bowl??? Would be sweet. Then it could be claimed that “it ain’t braggin’ if you can do it.” But of course, OBVIOUSLY he is not the accomplished, all around receiver or football player that Rice was. No one is even going to seriously debate this in the football world, but again, a big Super Bowl performance …..

January 29th, 2013 4:43 pm

16. Sammy D.

Most high performing athletes have pretty strong opinions of themselves as part of their competitive edge, etc. That he might think this is not surprising. That he would vocalize it on media day is what moves him into potential twitsville, or perhaps as others have suggested, he is some sort of tactical genius with the media…

January 29th, 2013 4:45 pm

At least he’s consistant.
    ~ALOHA~

January 29th, 2013 4:58 pm

18. Raffaele

“Twit” is too kind a word for him. “Jerk” and “joke” would be better—but he’s such a lost soul it’s difficult to disparage him.

Those who think too much is made of the issue don’t seem to notice that Moss gets national attention for his sad commentary. If the media ignored him, wrote him off as a disgruntled sad sack, his words would have no impact. But he gets on national TV and in the various print and electronic sources, so those words become widespread.

The better story today is the one about use of PEDs by that Raven linebacker. What IS h shame? Oh, yeah, Ray Lewis. Non-convicted felon, father of 6 children out of wedlock, penalized earlier for HGH. A much more interested story today.

January 29th, 2013 5:06 pm

19. Jim

Dwight Clark said the same thing as Mark M about an hour ago on the radio. Hope you both are right.

January 29th, 2013 5:10 pm

20. Dr. Feelgood

Imagine Randy Moss on the NIners during the glory years. What would his stats have been like?
    “Best” is an opinion based concept. His opinion is as valid as the next.

January 29th, 2013 5:55 pm

21. ollie hoop

This is not a good time for great wide receivers. First Brown and Rice pop off with their “sabotage” talk, and now Moss stakes his claim for greatest a-hole of all time. Do these guys run faster than their brains can keep up?

PS. Rice is clearly the GOAT, maybe that’s been eating at Moss.

January 29th, 2013 7:40 pm

22. Nancy R

I thought it was kind of funny. He said it in such an easy going way. If he normally never talks to the media maybe he was finally saying what he really thinks. Or maybe he was being provocative. “The best” is not an absolute. There are different ways to be “the best.”

January 29th, 2013 11:10 pm

Randy Moss holds the NFL single season touchdown reception record (23, set in 2007), the NFL single-season touchdown reception record for a rookie (17, in 1998), and is second on the NFL all-time regular season touchdown reception list with 156.
    Is he the greatest? No, but he is the second greatest. I like his swagger going into this Superbowl. It may be the last game of his career and I hope he puts on a show.

January 29th, 2013 11:27 pm

24. BillWilliamkill

Yeah, mix it up Randy!
    Whoa, a fast field, bipartisan fans and the game is squarely on Kap’s shoulders. He’s gonna be right at home. Flacco gets them 24, Kap gets them 38 cause Akers will get a FG. Liked RM’s Statement. Games gonna be brutal.

January 30th, 2013 7:28 am

25. Seth

I see the media has taken the wily veterans bait hook, line and sinker. Moss has successfully taken the insane Super Bowl spotlight off his teammates a few days and given them some breathing room.

January 30th, 2013 9:19 am

Also- and how could I not think if it sooner? Black culture is ok with proclaiming “I am the greatest of all times!”..its a direct line from Ali. So much of Ali’s iconic mannerism’s too. The big open mouth grimace? One of the most famous photos of “all times” is of Ali doing that.
    Ricky Henderson,Randy Moss, derivatives of the great Muhammad Ali.
    So,in context its not much of hyperbole as sports entertainers lingo.

January 30th, 2013 12:44 pm

And I hope all went well Lowell.

January 30th, 2013 12:45 pm

How come nobody in the media seems to be pulling for Randy to get his first ring?
    I mean, they’re all head-over-heels for Ray Lewis and the fact that this may or may not be his last game.
    I don’t care what his attitude reflects.
    He’s been a phenominal player his entire career and great teammate for our Niners squad this season.
    I want him to get that ring, period.
    ~ALOHA~

January 30th, 2013 1:15 pm

29. John Sousa

I’m curious, Lowell, if you think Muhammad Ali and Rickey Henderson are twits. They both proclaimed themselves the greatest.

I happen to agree with them. I think the rule is, if you happen to actually BE the greatest, while it’s best to be magnanimous, you are not technically a twit for saying you are the greatest.

That said, the word “twit” is awesome and should be used more often.

January 30th, 2013 4:03 pm

30. Ben

in light of today’s comments from culliver, if randy moss is a twit, he’s been officially outshined in that department.

January 30th, 2013 4:04 pm

31. mbabco

Yup. He’s a twit. 49ers are sure putting their foots in their mouth. They don’t really need the distractions.

January 31st, 2013 2:36 am