Maybe there were bad calls that hurt the Niners and maybe there weren’t. It doesn’t matter. You play the game and you don’t bellyache. The Niners had four chances to win at the end of the game and they didn’t win. End of story. Bill Walsh once told me bad calls are like the weather. You can’t control it or them. You don’t complain. You keep playing. If you are using bad calls as an excuse for the Super Bowl loss and if Jim Harbaugh is doing the same, please man up — or woman up or person up. We are PC on this blog.

Comments

1. DarbyO

Lowell- let’s not forget that the same Bill Walsh you mention as taking the high road w/regard to bad calls, once complained so vehemently about a couple of calls that went against the 49ers in the 1983 NFC Championship Game that in the post-game interview from the Niners’ locker room, he said he felt pity for the ref in question and for his family. He also said after that same game — and you’ll probably remember this — that a “6’10″ Boston Celtic couldn’t have caught the pass” that led to a flag on Eric Wright in the closing minutes. Not saying that Harbaugh was right to complain about the officiating but hey, Walsh did it too. I remember.

February 3rd, 2013 10:53 pm

2. K.G.

Idk…I saw holding by “both” teams, anyone remember in the 1st quarter the 49er defender holding the Raven player, no flag was called on that play either.

Ultimately the 49ers dug themselves a hole in the 1st half of the game, then they came back. But during that last drive on the 5 yd. line, the play calling seemed off by the coaches. The 49ers at times during the game seemed unprepared for the gravity of the Super Bowl. But to Coach Jim Harbaugh, let the belly-aching go, I think you have class than that…imho

February 3rd, 2013 11:29 pm

3. Jumbo Shrimp

If its 4th down with 2 minutes left you can’t really keep playing, right? Don’t be so false. That play on Crab was outrageous.

February 3rd, 2013 11:30 pm

Jumbo Shrimp, Don’t be an excuse maker. It’s unbecoming.

February 3rd, 2013 11:36 pm

5. Jimmy

Jim is a good coach, probably a great one. But I can never get over how immature he looks on the sideline. A grown man throwing his hat, play sheet, headset. Grow up Jim.

February 3rd, 2013 11:45 pm

Jimmy, I agree with what you wrote. But Jim Harbaugh will not be a great coach until he does something great.

February 3rd, 2013 11:50 pm

7. Ryan

What….the corner back fell down Crabtree pushed off no doubt. That whole team is very unsportsmanlike. And it starts from the coach.

February 4th, 2013 7:02 am

8. mmp60

To all the FortyWhiner’s: You flat out sucked for two quarters of football and if not for blackout, would’ve been blown out.

Deal with reality and move on.

February 4th, 2013 7:53 am

9. Matt

I like how you completely ignored DarbyO…He’s right, Walsh complained bitterly about those bad calls. Right or wrong Bill was no different than Jim in that regard.

Don’t you just hate it when others point out your selective memory?

February 4th, 2013 8:52 am

10. DarbyO

Lowell, it would be cool to hear your view of what I said about Walsh. I think he was the greatest but perhaps nostalgia and your affection for him has clouded your memory a bit. He griped too about officiating, just like Harbaugh. I was incorrect in my recollection of the actual line — he actually said “10-foot tall Boston Celtic.” Here’s Walsh’s quote from after that NFC Championship Game in January 1984 — word for word — as reported by Paul Zimmerman in Sports Illustrated 29 years ago.

“It was a ball a 10-foot tall Boston Celtic couldn’t catch, let alone a receiver. [ Washington's] final drive was really a pair of penalties. Right now I’m a little bitter about the officials. It’s just too bad that a championship game’s decided by a call that close. I’d rather lose by the Redskins driving for a touchdown than on a call so close.”

And if you want to see a link to that story in the SI archives, here it is:

February 4th, 2013 11:47 am

DarbyO, Sure, Walsh complained about officiating.

February 4th, 2013 11:59 am

12. DarbyO

Lowell, I understand your point that complaining about officiating in general is total baloney, and I agree, but the point of your blog posting also seemed to be that you were making a distinction between Harbaugh and Walsh, and I thought that was unfair since Walsh used to complain about the refs as well. Maybe I misread it, but that’s how it appeared to me. And let me add one thing that has not been noted enough: after he complained about the calls in his post-game press conference, Harbaugh admitted that he’s not unbiased, and that he’s the head coach and advocate for his team. I think he tried his best to qualify his comments by stating that he’s looking at the world through scarlet-and-gold colored glasses. Made sense to me.

February 4th, 2013 12:16 pm

13. gary

Worst none call? A 49er was literally tackled on the safety. If there was a holding call made,
    then we get 2 points and no time runs off the clock.
    Then there would have been time for one or two potential plays after the punt.
    Having said that, the 49ers had plaenty of chances to win out right.

February 4th, 2013 12:58 pm

14. Greg

If Harbaugh was in MLB or the NBA he would get ejected weekly. His tirades on the sidelines are getting really old. For a man with a heart condition, he needs to grow up. He should be more like his brother who keeps things much more under control. You have to wonder what he is like in the locker room, is that same high strung personality inside the locker room too? What really lost this game was the coaching staff. As was usual for most of this season the team came out looking lost. Then every time they got into the red zone they failed to have many (or any at the end) good play calls. Also they twice completely gave up on third and long with lame running plays. That kind of cowardly play calling is only becoming of a team that lost the game.

February 4th, 2013 1:25 pm

15. Slamd

People who believe that the NIners got jobbed by bad calls; John Madden, Charley Casserly, Peter King (upon further review), Skip Bayless and Rodney Harrison.

Let’s see, that’s one of the greatest coaches and announcers of all time, one of the greatest GMs of all time, a sportswriter that will end up in the HOF, a contrarian gadfly that speaks his mind and a 13 year, future HOF safety, turned broadcaster.

All chiming in on the side of the Niners. Lowell HATES Harbaugh and will use any point of misguided reason or logic to put the blame squarely on Jim.

February 6th, 2013 2:46 pm

Slamd, I find it pathetic that you blame the loss on bad calls. I don’t care who is on your side. They lost. There is nothing misguided in stating that fact. Man up.

February 6th, 2013 3:07 pm

17. Funx

From what I read, Slamd never stated his opinion in the matter. He stated other people’s opinions. I find that pathetic that you blame him/her for other people’s opinions

February 8th, 2013 4:42 am