Here is the opening to my Sunday column about Jim Harbaugh in which I offer him some well-meaning advice:

I offer this advice to Jim Harbaugh as the football season fades in the rearview mirror and baseball looms ahead. I offer this advice to be helpful, even friendly.

Now that he has time — no games coming up — Harbaugh might take time to reflect about himself, about what he does well and not so well as a coach. He always talks about wanting his team to improve one percent every day. I hope he applies the same standard to himself. He owes himself no less.

To read the full column, please click here.

Comments

1. gary

This a very fair/balanced column. However,based on what exposure I have seen
    in press conferences, etc (which is very limited), it does not appear that Harbaugh has
    any insights to his weaknesses.
    It will be interesting to see if he “tones down
    his act” on the sidelines next season.

February 10th, 2013 10:42 am

2. Cindy

I am a Harbaugh fan and I approve of this article :) Nice way to express your thoughts Lowell.

February 10th, 2013 10:42 am

3. Joe H.

Just had to share this one with you:

“All 32 NFL Teams Eagerly Lining Up For Chance To Sign Randy Moss, Reports Randy Moss”

too funny!

February 10th, 2013 11:40 am

4. Bob In Portland

Walsh’s Niners (the gold standard) flourished because of all the great coaches and front office people. The current Niners have a pretty good outfit. But I agree, having a lot of executive talent around you is better than the alternative.

February 10th, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree,and if he cant take this friendly advice? He can go to hell!

February 10th, 2013 1:20 pm

I am going to have to think about that for a little while because there is a lot of merit in what you said. A little introspection is always good, win or lose. But I just don’t think it is as simple as coming out a little more relaxed and controlled. My guess is that all of this could have been fixed if they had a decent back up for Justin Smith. It is hard to believe that one guy can have such a tremendous effect on an entire defense but it sure did look that way.

I guess my problem is that the defense used to keep the score a lot closer when Alex Smith was the QB. At the end they were giving up a lot of points real quickly. I don’t think that had as much to do with Harbaughs demeanor as it did with Justin Smiths injury. But like I said there is never any harm in a little introspection. So I agree with you, but probably for different reasons.

February 10th, 2013 1:29 pm

7. Randy

This column sounds an awful lot like my earlier post. Great minds think alike!

February 10th, 2013 4:40 pm

Randy, If I borrowed from you, thanks. I always can use some help.

February 10th, 2013 4:55 pm

LC, we all know that Harbaugh hates the media and is not a likeable guy, but who else who you would rather have as a coach if your a Niner fan, I think his melt downs will decrease with experience and time.

February 10th, 2013 6:57 pm

10. Marisa

The 49ers were total losers for years before Jim Harabugh and his staff took over, all these faux shrinks need to remember that before handing out all this “kind” advice. The reason he doesn’t cater to the press is because I’m sure being under the media microscope as a player had some affect. Bottom line it was bad play calling that allowed the 49ers not to score 7 yards to a Super Bowl. Jim Harbaugh and his staff need to fix tactical issues such as the play clock, time outs and the like. There are plenty of fans who would want him to coach there squads meltdowns and all.

February 10th, 2013 10:58 pm

11. Blind Tom

Good column. Now how about one on why I should give a darn about baseball? Used to watch the game but I cannot tell you the name of one player on either the A’s or the Giants…

February 11th, 2013 6:29 am

It’s going to be interesting to see if Coach Harbaugh has the capacity for introspection and growth.

His interaction with you at the presser suggests he does not.

I think he lost more than he thinks last week and that it will take far more than “Who’s got it better than us?” to fire up the troops for a third campaign after the way the first two ended.

February 11th, 2013 10:04 am

13. Dave T

@ Dennis, I find it interesting that you would key on the injury to Smith, for no other reason than not too long ago, LC had a blog regarding that injury and how the decision of Coach Harbaugh to play him too much made him more suceptible to that injury. I agree on both counts, that his injury was huge and took away from their defensive scheme. Take any cog out of any defense and it really changes the game. Look at what the Niners did in their run game against the Ravens once Ngata went down to injury for example. Night and day. And I agree with Lowell, in that it was the mismanagement of personel that exposed Smith to greater injury potential and that cost the Niners dearly. In this case, I would say the Niners “won the battle, but lost the war”.

I hope Harbaugh is able to reflect and find what works for him. He has had tremendous success thus far, so media, fans and ownership are far more likely to look the other way on things like this. Throw in a mediocre season or two or even a losing season and that tune can change in a hurry.

February 11th, 2013 3:58 pm

14. michel

I like em just the way he is. The team is winning again,

February 11th, 2013 4:50 pm

15. Jumbo Shrimp

The only flaw with your articles, but it is a constant, something you always mention, never forget to talk about, but it definitely takes away from your message, the only thing is when you talk about how much money these guys make. It’s reality. It’s what they’re worth, and Harbaugh doesn’t make that much when compared to the top paid coaches in the league!

February 11th, 2013 11:45 pm

16. Just too Fast....

I think Brad Sealy fits that role of a sounding board during games, for Harbaugh. The 4 plays at the end of the game really exposes the simple reality that the “Coaches” were not prepared for the defense that the Ravens threw at them. Because the coaches were not prepared, it makes the QB decide which play to audible, and it was the wrong play due to his inexperience. In that situation, Harbaugh should not have allowed Kaep toaudible out of the play called.

February 12th, 2013 10:24 am

17. Loneraider78

You say they fell behind because Harbaugh is wound too tight.

I say they fell behind because their secondary got torched.

The Brothers Jones made those guys look like a D-2 secondary.

February 12th, 2013 4:38 pm

I was wondering after seeing his burning anger at the questioning of his etiquette after losing the Super Bowl..what do you think he would be like if the niners flopped next year Lowell? Would he be an inch away from strangling you(media)? OR do you think he would THEN bring out the charm? diffuse a bad record..all hypothetical of course.

February 13th, 2013 4:56 pm

Stan, we’ll find out.

February 13th, 2013 6:32 pm

I like what Harbaugh has done for the Niners but no matter how you slice it the coaches blew the game at the end with their pathetic play calling. Gore was on a roll yet they backed off and tried to tiptoe through the tulips from five yards out with mindless pass patterns.
    I like Harbaugh but his demeanor was crazy the whole game. An Roman , the offensive coordinator, was responsible for the dismal first half. I don’t know why Justin Smith was playing cause he was not effective playing hurt. That shows desperation on the part of the Niners. Cowboy can’t lasso and round up those little doggies with one arm tied behind his back. SuperBowl highlighted major Niner weaknesses and strengths but I feel the coaches lost their cool and the game at the end.

February 15th, 2013 5:16 am