Here is the opening to my Tuesday column about spring training, a rather nostalgic look — I’ve covered spring training more than 30 times:

Spring training is here and spring training is like no other sports tradition. I am talking about Arizona. I don’t know about Florida.

When Roger Craig was managing the Giants, he would meet the beat writers after spring games and play pickup basketball at a nearby playground. His wife Carolyn brought the beer.

Bruce Bochy plays poker with the writers.

To read the entire column, please click here.

Comments

1. Jason

DId Frank Robinson ever did anything like that with the writers? Hard to imagine it.

I’m guessing Harbaugh doesn’t do poker or pickup games with the writers.

February 11th, 2013 11:54 pm

2. Rebelscum74

Loved this article! Made me think of the movie field of dreams! Happy memories of my father who passed away last April. Caring for his bees who are a big part of spring and summer. Playing baseball with my kids. Enjoying eating out with my great and beautifully wife. Great times and a great piece!

February 12th, 2013 2:40 am

3. Tommy CostaRica

Very colorful lowell! As a Marin County kid growing up in the 60′s and playing school yard ball everyday after school with the likes of Mark Ibanez and the San Rafael Canal brethren your article just took me back. I could hear the sound of the glove and see the dirt and green grass, sitting here thousands of miles away enjoying my coffee and blues music, Thanks!

February 12th, 2013 6:32 am

Jason, Frank Robinson was always available to talk.

February 12th, 2013 8:04 am

You need to get that unfinished baseball novel out of the drawer and get back to work on it…I’m thinking instant classic…

February 12th, 2013 8:28 am

And why after seeing all the spring training reports…seeing opening day in Montreal or Toronto would seem so wrong. The Fresno Giants are more real baseball.

February 12th, 2013 9:29 am

Perfect.
    ~ALOHA~

February 12th, 2013 11:18 am

8. mendozaline

Wonderful column. Thank you.

February 12th, 2013 11:35 am

9. Dave T

I have been to Spring Training in Arizona several times, but it has been years and I long to go back. My buddy, Scott, and I would camp out at a Desert Usuary area, in the group/horse staging spot, enjoying the amazing night skies a nice fire and a cold beverage after a long day of getting to the park early for warm ups, getting autographs and then catching the ball game. We would sometimes double dip and do a day night double at any number of parks. We made sure to hit Karstens Grill in Scottsdale, to check out the t-shirt photos and see ours on the wall (if you have been there you know what I mean). And most of all, we just enjoyed the remewed sense of Spring and baseball. Good memories, great times.

Might be time to go back.

February 12th, 2013 12:29 pm

By the way Lowell, what do you think of the whole Angel Villalona-thing?
    Are the Gmen THAT starved for talent???
    ~ALOHA~

February 12th, 2013 12:39 pm

11. Francis

The article was so poetic.

February 12th, 2013 1:19 pm

Jim Korzimar dropping “chippy” left and right. Like he reads “Cliche’s Now” magazine and then repeats all of them. “Chippy” ,”At the end of the day” and wearing bow ties.
    See why I demand diversity?

February 12th, 2013 5:38 pm

Great column Lowell, going to read that again.

February 13th, 2013 6:48 am

Monte Poole on KNBR..and Monty sidestepped the whole writers strike. Not one word in the writers defense. Caving in.

And as far as Monte lavishing love on the host? Eh, Every man in prison has somebody who says “Deep down inside,he’s a good man”.
    Means nothing.

February 13th, 2013 11:43 am

And when Radnich said ” If you needed 25 bucks to be on the show Monte,I would have given it to you”..THATs when Poole should have done a Ted Robinson and hung up. Or at least let the host know why he was striking the last two years. Instead Monte said nothing.

February 13th, 2013 12:13 pm

I know the carrot to hear your own voice on 50,000 watts must be a big one…jeez,show some solidarity..give a reason for why you caved Mark and Monte. Radnich asked Monte point blank why he left KNBR’s guest list..as the producer said not to…and Monte gave a rambling 1979 story. Or what I call a very poor excuse.

February 13th, 2013 12:31 pm

One last as a blog hog. To all my homeys who blasted me when J Russell was a rookie? And long before I figured out his addictive personality?..I called him fat. And I said on Raider boards he’s too fat to play in the NFL.,that there has never been a fat NFL qb..well,Jeff Garcia dropped it on radio today that Russell showed up the year Garcia was a Raider at 305 pounds.
    I’m telling you people,I know fat and thin (Lincecum) when I see it.

February 14th, 2013 11:55 am

18. Frank in Minnesota

Thanks for taking us there and giving us the feeling……wow.

February 15th, 2013 2:47 pm

One more of the world is not all American. I’m watching the Top Gear (seen most,hadn’t watched in months,this one was new) and they are in Vegas on some holdover…and out of camera is a TV broadcasting a NBA game. As they turn to see after some crowd noise,One of the TG gentlemen says ” I don’t know why they are cheering,they score every 35 seconds” !
    How true.