We were putting ornaments on the Christmas tree tonight. More on that in a later post. We put on some music to celebrate. We listened to Janis Joplin’s “Pearl.” Wonderful. And then we listened to the Very Best of Nat King Cole. Wonderful. And then we listened to some Ray Charles.

“I don’t mean to be disrespectful to anyone,” I said to Mrs. Cohn Zohn, “but who do you like better, Nat King Cole or Ray Charles?”

“It’s not even a question,” she said.

“Meaning?” I said.

“Ray Charles,” she said.

I agree. I love Nat, but Ray Charles is — well, I don’t even have the words for him. Sometimes I like him better than Sinatra.

I hope I haven’t offended anyone.

Comments

1. Tommy CostaRica

I love them both but you can’t compare the two as who is better.

December 16th, 2013 7:52 am

2. Brett

I am with you and Mrs Cohn. Both of them are great but in their own separate ways. When I say separate I mean its apples and oranges. Nobody can compare to Ray. One of a kind.

December 16th, 2013 9:16 am

3. Brett

Nobody can compare to Nat either. Also one of a king.

For my taste Ray is King.

December 16th, 2013 9:17 am

4. Streetglide

Great singers but few can compare to Richard Penneman.

December 16th, 2013 10:24 am

Streetglide, Why do you rate Littel Richard so high?

December 16th, 2013 10:36 am

6. Streetglide

Easy. He was my hero when I was a kid. He sings way up in the range and has the best voice. Even James Brown modeled himself after Richard. Pplus he wore silver capped shoes! I learned to play music becaus eof him. I could play many of his songs on the piano when I was 11…

Little not Littel, right? ;- )

December 16th, 2013 10:55 am

Streetglide, I’m sick. I’m out of my head. I can’t spell

December 16th, 2013 11:09 am

8. Mark

To even think that sometimes Ray is better than Frank can only mean one thing …you never shook Sinatra’s hand.

December 16th, 2013 11:59 am

9. Max

I was fortunate enough to attend a Ray Charles concert at the Circle Star Theatre oh so many years ago. Needless to say he was great. Kept the sellout crowd entertained not only with his music but also with his swaying on the piano bench. He’d go all the way back to just before the tipping point – and then catch himself and sway forward again. Always the consummate performer, he knew exactly what he was doing – and getting one hell of a big kick out of doing it. (And of course you know the anecdote about the Rayettes, right? In order to be a Rayette, you had first to “let Ray” . . .)

December 16th, 2013 12:03 pm

10. Streetglide

Last entry, could you tell my boss wandered into my cubicle before I proofed it? -L-

Those zinc lozenge thingies really work. So are hot — HOT –baths. Learned that in Japan. And another person who absolutely learned from Richard was Otis Redding…

December 16th, 2013 12:08 pm

11. Max

Correction: for “Rayettes . . . Rayette” read “Raylets . . . Raylet” – I never was any good at telling vaguely risque anecdotes or jokes . . .

December 16th, 2013 4:44 pm