Is Tim Ryan an upgrade over Eric Davis as Niners radio analyst?

Comments

No, but I suppose it isn’t a downgrade either. Both are nearly useless.

January 23rd, 2014 10:00 am

Is Tim Ryan any different from Gary Plummer?. As usual,once a person of color gets a shot…right back to the guy who shows up at Blackhawck CC or lives down the street in Danville.
    And with Tim..that leaves Tom Flores as the only person of color doing color in the cough.,cough,liberal bay area media.

January 23rd, 2014 10:55 am

3. mike

how many days until pitchers and catchers report?

January 23rd, 2014 11:10 am

4. Chris

Oh Stan, let’s not turn this switch into racial issue–blah blah blah…

Eric Davis was good, sometimes very good with his knowledge and expertise. But, he definitely had too much on his plate. Thus, he didn’t always come prepared for anything more than commenting on others comments and dishing out over-reactive opinion. Truth: I prefer Eric over Tim, but am willing to give Mr. Ryan a chance.

January 23rd, 2014 11:23 am

Mike, Always great to hear from you. Grant and I are looking at a spring training calendar as we speak.

January 23rd, 2014 11:23 am

The posts on the net are making it…the 49ers didn’t want Davis. Even 415 is using that angle. And the comments that he has no talent?..well.. If he’s good enough for NFL network how no talent can he be?
    He probably wanted to be paid more after 3 years and now being a national name. The 49ers didn’t want to..so Eric walked away.
    Nothing acrimonious is possible.

But,in filling his position…wink,wink.

January 23rd, 2014 12:19 pm

7. Dr. Feelgood

Ryan is an upgrade. He is one of the better Color analysts in the game, and I always was glad to hear when he would be doing the Niner games on Fox.
    Ryan will bring a deeper analysis to the listeners, and is more tuned into nuances of the game. His delivery is devoid of the home town biases that Davis ofter projected, and his delivery is far, far more professional.
    I don’t need rah-rah from the broadcast booth- I’m already surrounded by that. What i desire is precise information.

January 23rd, 2014 1:10 pm

8. Zak

Ryan is an astute color analyst, local boy, and a 9er fan born and raised. That’s the one thing he’s got over Davis, who was, to me, the voice you never hear. The quiet player who would never reveal what he knew while he was playing, keeping his edge, made him very interesting to listen to on the radio.

For myself I can sync XM to my TV for 9er home or playoff games so it’s worthy to me to have a good analyst. Ryan will do fine, he’s an upstanding guy, as was Davis. Approachable on twitter as well, which is a plus.

January 23rd, 2014 1:43 pm

9. Brett

Nice Mike…lets go Giants! Anybody got an Idea on the rotation this year?

January 23rd, 2014 2:04 pm

10. glenellen

I like them both. Davis is advancing his career, good for him.
    But why does Tim Ryan give up a network job for this ?

Less traveling ?

January 23rd, 2014 2:50 pm

I really enjoyed Eric Davis and Ted Robinson as a team so I don’t like this move. It is unnecessary.

January 24th, 2014 9:35 am

I watched a PBS biography on JD Salinger. He hated and yet pandered too the very system that made him famous. Idolized the New Yorker and Cosmo . So,he couldn’t have been too outside the box. Maybe close enough to the edge that those in the middle thought he was a prophet.

January 24th, 2014 10:03 am

It is a huge upgrade, as mentioned yesterday Davis was just a homer with a obnoxious laugh, and was absolutely unlistenable when he was on the Game. What do you thing Lowell?

January 24th, 2014 12:49 pm

Neal, I don’t know these guys, don’t listen.

January 24th, 2014 1:31 pm

15. Brett

I think it is time to close the book on this season and do some healing. It was a good read but it is time to turn the page. Don’t put the book completely out of site, just to the side a little. It is time to re-examine the book we put away last September. So I ask again, ANY IDEAS ON THIS YEARS ROTATION!!!!!

January 24th, 2014 1:54 pm

16. Albert Park

Lowell: This year the Super Bowl coincides with Groundhog Day! What are we to make of this phenomenon?

January 26th, 2014 12:11 am

The weather is great! As long as its not part of a 200 year long drought. The Giants rotation will be pitching over dead, painted green, grass. Or,the whole field will be dirt.

Ok,back to my superior “Catcher in the Rye” novel I’m writing where the character isn’t another strapping young white man like “Lost Boys” or ” Lord of the Flys”. Nope,mine is shorter pudgy and half Asian,half Mexican.,and anti establishment because the establishment is against HIM.
    But, he will have a young beautiful blond GF just to make people angry.

January 26th, 2014 11:46 am

btw, I’m not half Mexican or half Asian,and at 5’9″ 1″ taller then the average American male. I just think my great American novel should have somebody that out rebels the usual rebel.

January 27th, 2014 10:50 am

19. Brett

OK I will respond to myself.

Cain – Bumgartner – Linsicum – Voglesong – Hudson.

If anyone falters bring in whats his name that did pretty well at the end of last season.

Possibly switch Voggie and Hud.

January 27th, 2014 2:06 pm