I’m on Yahoo Sports Talk Live at 5 pm. We will discuss if the Niners could have beaten Denver in the Super Bowl. Your thoughts?

Comments

Yes. The niner’s would have done a Marino- Montana on Manning.
    BUT, IF Manning had signed with the 49ers instead of Denver..he would have two more SB rings right now. Part of what makes Manning no so great is that decision. He wanted “me” much more then winning.

February 3rd, 2014 1:54 pm

2. Streetglide

They could but it would have been closer. Seahawks play with abandon. Niners seem uptight, maybe reflecting their coach. Plus when you are running an offense designed to succeed in 1984 you won’t score as much as one designed to succeed in the Pac-10 in 2004…

February 3rd, 2014 2:20 pm

3. Vijay

Moot point.. 49ers had a chance to win against Seattle and they didn’t. So no point in talking “What if”. Those are good “Excel” commands.

On flip side, I just don’t think Niners had the secondary to beat Denver. Manning would have craved them up and plus loss of Bowman would have hurt huge.

What do you think, Lowell?

February 3rd, 2014 2:35 pm

San Jose State might have had a shot against that Denver team/performance. I found it embarrassing even if Peyton did not. It’s the NFC West and everyone else right now in the NFL. Terrible finale to an otherwise interesting season.

February 3rd, 2014 2:39 pm

5. Jimmy

Yes they would have but isn’t this a hypothetical?

February 3rd, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes, Jimmy, it is a hypothetical. It’s what I’m being asked on TV at 5 pm so i thought I’d share it with you. But thanks for keeping me honest.

February 3rd, 2014 3:11 pm

7. Brett

It’s simple, they got to Manning. Would we have been able to get to Manning? I think so. This is one team in the NFL, if they lose that one guy, it is over.

We have a better O-Line than Denver and they would not have done that to the Niners. We are more balaced team than Denver.

The Main question is could D-line and LB’s get to Manning.

If so the niners could have also blown them out.

February 3rd, 2014 3:39 pm

Many teams could of beaten the Broncos yesterday. Even Richard Sherman said the Niners were the second best team in football.

February 3rd, 2014 3:45 pm

9. Marco

Niners would have beaten the Broncos. They are the better team. Pass rush would have disrupted Peyton just as much as the Seahawks. Final 30-17

February 3rd, 2014 3:47 pm

Manning and Harbaugh, Man football. Sweat and listen to me football.
    Fox and Manning, Flunky and Star QB Comfort food football. Lazy Boy chair to sign autographs, football.

February 3rd, 2014 4:00 pm

According to Richard Sherman they would have. For my money though the better question to ponder is, can a pocket passer beat Seattle? Two of the best in the business have tried and failed miserably? I mean not even close. At least Kaepernick got close.

February 3rd, 2014 4:21 pm

Where do you find Yahoo Sports Talk Live?

February 3rd, 2014 4:25 pm

Dennis, It’s CSNBayArea, Channel 40 in the East Bay. It used to be Chronicle Live. Same program different affiliation.

February 3rd, 2014 6:41 pm

The Niners struggled to beat mediocre teams . Once the Denver defense figured out what the Niner offense was doing they might shut them down long enough for Manning to put up enough points. I think Manning could move the chains on San Fran secondary. It would be a close game but Niners would prevail. I read today that the Broncos had not faced a top ten defense all year until the Superbowl.

February 3rd, 2014 7:08 pm

15. Dr. Feelgood

Seattle And points- Yahoo!!! That was a no-brainer.
    The inference is that, given the very close final game against Seattle, in Seattle, the Niners would have also easily handled the Broncos. I don’t subscribe to the EASILY part. Denver’s coaching and game planning in the SB was as bad or worse as the Niners. It would likely have been a field goal to win.

February 4th, 2014 12:01 am

16. PhD

Do I get any points for asking you the hypothetical first?

February 4th, 2014 12:46 am