Now Kaepernick wants $20 million a year. That’s according to Jason La Canfora. Maybe tomorrow Kaepernick will want $25 million a year. He wants this based on such a small body of work. Kind of a head scratcher. This is the QB who said out loud he would not make lavish salary demands. Do you think he’s worth this dough? To read La Canfora’s article click here.

Comments

Jason La Confora makes a pretty compelling case in support of that number and I agree. I think in trying to determine how much Kaepernick is worth to the 49ers you have to ask and answer two questions:

1) What is the market price for good starting quarterbacks with star power now that the cap went up significantly?

2) What are the 49ers options if they don’t extend him?

Kaepernick will make over a $100 million over the next 5 years whatever happens. You can pay him $20 mil a year for 5 or wait a year and pay him $25 mil a year for 4.

My take is, with the new salary cap, what Kaepernick is asking for is not lavish. It is the market and the 49ers need to and will deal with it.

March 5th, 2014 11:05 am

2. Brett

At this point I think he is worth 10 comparatively. I agree not a big enough body of work. However, he has the right to try and get what he can.

March 5th, 2014 11:12 am

I think he’s starting out at 20. (the cat right now is sticking his paw out from under the PC table and hitting my keyboard!..hilarious,I just just see a furry paw swatting my hand!) And, even Kap knows he’s going to get much less. But,common for QB’s to make more then the coach. Harbaugh at 5..wanting 10?..so Kap at 12- 15 sounds going rate.

March 5th, 2014 11:16 am

Full court PR press from our coach and starting QB at a critical juncture for this franchise. Let the games play out.

March 5th, 2014 11:31 am

5. htwaits

La Canfora’s opinion is that “Now Kaepernick wants $20 million” and that he has a very strong case to get what he wants. La Canfora also thinks that Kaepernick’s character, which is an important component in his quarterback play, is such that he will get it.

As La Canfora points out, others may differ, but he is betting on Kaepernick.

Unlike the Boston Globe unvarified report, La Canfora is doing his own thinking and not going on whispers. He also has pointed out that a lot of NFL people tend to agree with his analysis.

March 5th, 2014 11:51 am

6. htwaits

Only time will tell what Kaepernick gets paid and whether he turned out to be worth it. If he makes money for the NFL, then you better believe that the other owners will think he was worth it. Personally I have no idea, but as La Canfora pointed out, market forces are behind Kaepernick right how.

If Kaepernick gets 20 what will Wilson, RGIII and Luck get next year?

March 5th, 2014 11:57 am

7. htwaits

My mistake. What will RGIII get this year?

March 5th, 2014 11:59 am

8. Mike Hatz

Lowell, seriously, rather than posting a link to an editorial article about the benefits of signing Kaepernick to an elite quarterback contract, why not actually post an article in which Kaepernick is directly quoted as saying “I want 20 million dollars a year.”

What you continue to post is supposition, based on other people’s work. While I agree that Kaepernick is a cocky guy playing a cocky guy’s position, not once ( that I have read) has Kaepernick directly said “I want big money or I will pack my bags and leave the 49ers.”

Rather than spewing vitriol about how much you loathe Kaepernick and Harbaugh, how about doing some good original research and writing something objective, rather than slanted by your opinions. Sounds like a good idea to me, as that is the truest definition of journalism: Writing objectively about something and not allowing your opinions to color your research, your writing, or your conclusions.

March 5th, 2014 12:19 pm

9. Brett

Mike – That is what makes Lowell different than most other Journalists. Once I figured that out, his writing became more interesting to me. Not all the time, but most.

March 5th, 2014 1:37 pm

Not convinced that this is true or not. Sorry the media is not always right. It is not my $$, so I really don’t care how much he makes, just want the Niners to win a 6th Lombardi trophy and more. At least it is not Barry Zito $$, talking about robbing a bank.

March 5th, 2014 1:44 pm

11. sf9erfan

Mike,
    sounds like a great idea but Lowell’s writing is just that: opinion pieces. Like or not, We are still taking the time to reply to his writing/articles.

March 5th, 2014 2:39 pm

12. htwaits

Mike Hatz,

I don’t think you understand what Lowell does for a living. He is a columnist. His job is to write about his opinions, it’s not to discover the facts and report them objectively.

I disagree with the manor in which he expresses his opinions in columns like the ones he has done on Kaepernick and Harbaugh, but I have never thought his point of view had no merit. Lowell loves to take the other end of a popular topic, and more power to him. I just wish he wouldn’t feel the need to use his skill with words to diminish those he writes about on some ocations.

March 5th, 2014 2:42 pm

13. htwaits

“This is the QB who said out loud he would not make lavish salary demands.”

What I understood Kaepernick saying is that he didn’t want a contact that would harm the team’s ability to compete. For some of us the rookie minimum is a “lavish” salary.

To avoid harming the team, Kaepernick’s representatives and the 49er top contact negotiators can work out terms that will not harm the teams competitive ability, unless both sides miss judge what Kaepernick will be able to do in the future. Your view is one side of that argument, and as you know better than I, others disagree.

March 5th, 2014 2:50 pm

14. Mike Hatz

htwaits,

Fair enough. I get where you’re coming from. Unfortunately, he writes opinion pieces based (fairly often, it seems) on half-truths and conjecture. He doesn’t like Colin Kaepernick, he doesn’t like Jim Harbaugh, so he goes out of his way to find evidence that these two are greedy, selfish, bad people, when there is just as much evidence to the contrary. He uses his staff position to make uninformed claims that have about as much merit as the comments section on an ESPN article, except that his spelling and grammar are better.

March 5th, 2014 3:02 pm

15. Kommon Senze

I think La Confora does make some compelling points as to why he might be worth that amount of money. When you look at his production (understanding that he’s not yet a polished, traditional pocket passer) and his successes, it’s hard to argue that he’s not worth that money. Certainly more than Romo, Stafford, etc. if his playoff success are important (and I think that they are).

The problem in his evaluation, imo, stems from pre-conceived notions of how he should play the position. I, too, would like to see him improve his ability to go through his progressions, to improve his footwork and, thus, accuracy, and, yes, even to show a little more personality in his interviews. But those desires have little to do, imo, on what he might get on the open market.

I don’t know what La Confora’s sources might be on the belief that he would never accept less than $20 million, but somehow I doubt that comes directly from Kaepernick, and, without it having come from CK, you have to take it with some grains of salt. Could he demand that as a starting point? Possibly. But then why is it that other ‘sources’ have said $18 million was a starting point? Who do you believe here (and why)?

I do believe that Kaepernick is a shrewd guy, and I do think he will command a salary that puts him in the ballpark of guys like Stafford and Ryan and Flacco on the open market, so he has that leverage. The question we are all waiting to have answered is how he will use that leverage. Will he force the 49ers hand, or will he be open to negotiating a deal that does help the team?

I don’t think anyone has the answer to that, and passing judgment on him (or implying judgment) without really having anything more than conjecture seems like a rather pointless activity. If that was his stance, then I could see why such questions would be warranted. I think it would be better served to present that as a hypothetical, though, rather than as if it is already a known fact.

March 5th, 2014 4:21 pm

16. Brady

You pay for what you’re going to get, not for what you have had.

Isn’t that the Bill Walsh rule that you’ve mentioned many times?

March 5th, 2014 4:33 pm

17. htwaits

Mike,

Of course he does. That’s his forte. When he writes about one of his personal list of villains, he paints them as villainous as his formidable talents allow him.

What I don’t understand is why I wrote contact twice in my previous post when I meant contract.

March 5th, 2014 5:06 pm

18. mendozaline

Lowell has posted many times his belief about what he is.

Here is just one example:

“I’m a journalist… ”

Lowell is not a beat writer, he is a columnist, but he is still a journalist and is committed to his profession’s standards.

March 5th, 2014 5:14 pm

19. htwaits

Lowell,

Glenn Dickey takes a very similar position to yours on what Kaepernick’s contract shouldn’t be today. His position on Harbaugh doesn’t seem to be so similar.

There are a couple of differences, one being that he does discuss things with his subscribers on occasion. I’m not saying that he doesn’t upset his readers, you know better than I do that he does upset them.

Enjoy.

March 5th, 2014 6:59 pm

20. Rob

Who is Damon Bruce? What has he ever done or accomplished. Please tell him to just go away.

March 5th, 2014 7:12 pm

21. Michael

Teresa Kaepernick: ‏”When one has an inability to articulate their thoughts intelligently, they often resort to name calling. Isn’t that right @lowellcohn?”

March 6th, 2014 9:01 am

22. Streetglide

Anyone know Jeff George’s number? Can he still throw the rock?

March 6th, 2014 12:18 pm

23. Rob

Kaepernick’s Mom Goes After “Media Hack Lowell Cohn

See

March 6th, 2014 1:02 pm

I can’t even remember the last time I listened to Bruce.When I did, I heard that same EXACT movie clips about “Godfather of soul”..”Nooner”..as in 2012,2010, 2008,…Talk about NO effort to improve. The same schlock as always is his mantra.
    Last radio ratings I saw? D.Bruce 0.8 San Fransisco school district radio,0.07.
    No effort to improve and nothing more to show for his last ten years here as proof.

March 6th, 2014 2:00 pm

And Lowell,you don’t love Kap as much as his mom? Inhuman beast you!

March 6th, 2014 2:01 pm

26. Sean

Kap deserves the 18 million, because he is a VALUABLE mobile QB who has been to the playoffs three straight years. Plus he performs at the top of his game is the playoffs. He has performed better than Tony Romo and Jay Cutler, two qb’s getting paid 16+ million right now. Did anybody see how horrific Peyton Manning was in the super bowl, because all he can do is throw the ball. Every team learned after watching that super bowl you need a mobile qb to get by great defenses like Seattle.

March 6th, 2014 2:18 pm

27. dharte

If they pay this kid 20 million after the last two years then the suits in Santa Clara are insane. They destroy their entire salary structure (and any chance of holding together that defense–which of course is the chief reason Kaepernick even made the playoffs…again, 30th in passing in the regular season).

So let him play out his contract and see if he can beat Wilson in a championship game, since everything goes through Seattle for the near future, at least; if Kaepernick can’t beat Wilson, if the big throws keep coming up short, or the guy can’t get his plays called in time, or he keeps forcing throws to receivers named Crabtree when covered, etc., then use Wilson as the standard and pay this kid less…much less.

I hope Kaepernick proves me wrong, but he often looks so tight compared to Wilson and Luck and I wonder if he’ll ever win the big one.

Don’t pay now–first prove what you’re worth. Win.

That’s the Bill Walsh Method.

March 6th, 2014 11:01 pm

28. Brady

dharte – that’s actually the anti Bill Walsh method, as Lowell has often explained (even though he doesn’t realize it). Lowell constantly mentions that when Walsh sensed that a player was diminishing, he would let them go with no mercy. Think Joe Montana: you treat a player based on what they’ll give you in the future, not what they’ve given you in the past.

That Bill Walsh method is applicable here, even though Lowell doesn’t understand it. You pay a player for what they will give you, not what they have given you. Kap HAS been decent, and at times dominant, and given that he’s young, inexperienced, and the best athlete in the world at his position, it’s a relatively safe bet that he WILL be a QB worth $18-20 million, especially since the three QBs who just got paid that much (Romo, Cutler, Flacco) were all inferior in the past.

The Bill Walsh method is to treat players based on what they will give you, not what they have given you. Outside of Lowell Cohn, nearly every football analyst/journalist believes that Kaepernick will be an elite quarterback, regardless of what he has been.

March 7th, 2014 12:20 am