I’m gonna make this fast because I think I may buy a new Prius tomorrow and I have homework to do.

But all praise to Brian Sabean for landing Carlos Beltran. The Giants had lost Buster Posey and Freddy Sanchez and needed a big hitter to go along with all that excellent pitching. Sabean got the hitter.

In years past, some fans have criticized Sabean for bad deals or for doing nothing — some of the criticisms were certainly justified. This time he did what the GM of the defending champs should do. He upgraded the team before the trade deadline. Good for him. Good for the Giants.

The stretch run should be fascinating.

Comments

I went new Corrola sport last year..no doubt I’m going Prius next time. The difference in cost will be made up on gas savings. Heck what I save from the Corrala is equal to a third of the car payments on savings in mileage over my old American car I have posted opuse’s to here. Junk. And the Corrola hasn’t had as much as burp. Quiet at idle. But,32 MPG Corrola to 50mpg Prius…that’s insane from the Prius. For decades I bought Toyota ..strayed and got burned.
    Sabean-is a basebball genius. No claims to re -writing baseball strategy,or high tech mathematics. He gets who’s best. HE brought a title to where a title was said to be impossible to ever be found.
    I dont even care if he is a conservative. Tip of the Stan hat to Sabean.

July 28th, 2011 9:01 am

2. mbabco

I’m impressed. It’s a big roll of the dice. Well done.

July 28th, 2011 9:14 am

3. Mike

It was the right move for the Giants to make. But the Phillies’ pitching staff is right there with the Giants’, and their lineup is superior (even with Beltran now added), largely due to Posey’s absence.

Regardless of this move, you have to objectively say SF is the underdog to Philly this post season.

The chips need to fall just right for a repeat.

July 28th, 2011 9:18 am

4. glenellen

I think the Dealer has an invoice on what they paid for the vehicle.
    You ask to see the invoice and discuss how much you will pay, like $200. over invoice. The other idea is consider that the car depreciates 25% as soon as it leaves the lot. After 1 year, 30 to 40% or more. A 1 year old car can save you $$$$. Or it could be I am getting cheaper the older I get.
    I can see you in a brand new Mustang Cobra, a red convertible.

July 28th, 2011 9:22 am

5. BRAY

They always have to fall just right for any title, for any team, repeat or otherwise. The team who is deemed the favorite usually doesn’t win, for the reason you just said, things have to fall just right for whatever team wins.

The Giants have 2 things over the Phillies, better bullpen and better manager. These 2 things are paramount in the playoffs.

Hat’s off to Sabean, again.

July 28th, 2011 9:32 am

6. Doug A

Zach Wheeler who? Single-A “star” but he could not help us this year (or next), and Beltran is NOW. Sabean did the right thing. The Giants may be on the way to create a dynasty, who will be challenged by the Phillies (and Atlanta).

To Mike: The Phillies starting staff is probably a shade better, and their top to bottom lineup is better, but the Giants bullpen is clearly superior, and Bochy can out manage Manuel. The two games those two clubs just played illustrates the point perfectly. The Giants pitching can neutralize the Phillies lineup in their park, and AT&T park neutralizes the Phillies lineup as well. In a series, Giants will win a couple in Philly, thereby closing it out on the road — like last year.

July 28th, 2011 9:37 am

7. Blind Tom

Don’t buy a Prius. Jeez, those things are ecolgical disasters. Honda makes some great cars that get decent mileage and the company doesn’t have to rape the planet to make them, unlike Toyota.
    Do your homework on the batteries, the cost in human suffering to mine the ore, transport the stuff to a processing facility, return the finished material to China to make the batteries, send them to Toyota and finally the cost of recycling although most will end in a ditch somewhere and they are highly toxic.
    Plus the Prius is d-o-r-k-y. You look more like a Subaru guy, Forester, an Impreza hot rod or some such thing.

July 28th, 2011 9:45 am

8. Blind Tom

Not responsible for speling misteaks above…

July 28th, 2011 9:46 am

I think you would really look good in a Ferrari.

July 28th, 2011 10:37 am

I’ve always been pretty happy with Sabean and this is certainly a bold move and gives this team a better chance at repeating. I’ve never understood all the negative comments about him, the websites demanding he be fired, etc….. Zito contract is a mess and he flubbed a few others. But they had to rebuild and he architect ed a champion after building a near miss early century. Hell, Damon Bruce ripped him a new one daily for his first couple of years on KNBR. Of course, he also made a big case for bringing Manny Ramirez here a few years back on practically every show I heard. Good calls on both Damon….entertaining loud blowhard that he is.

July 28th, 2011 10:53 am

11. gary

This was a bold move by Sebean, and even if Wheeler
    grows into a star pitcher, no second guessing here.
    Beltran vastly improves our middle line-up and absolutely
    should boost run prodction.
    the number of A level pitchers who blossom in the majors is
    small. He was a top level pick, so he looks better on paper.
    go Giants :)

July 28th, 2011 11:08 am

12. stlhd

Does anyone know what the term of Beltran’s contract is with the Giants?

I hope it is for more than just this year!

So – who sits?

July 28th, 2011 12:24 pm

13. BRAY

Yes!!! Blind Tom- if the Pruis drivers only knew how big of a “carbon footprint” the production of and disposal of dead batteries really was. I’d love to see the look on their face.

When I see one in the fast lane, I get temporary Terrets and start cussing like a drunk sailor.

July 28th, 2011 1:37 pm

14. Joe H.

Unlike the 49ers, where management is incompetent; the SF Giants actually have people that know what they are doing.

Starting with Sabean and down to Bochy, we have good management that makes good decisions. They know what they are doing.

Unlike the 49ers…and Raiders.

I have confidence in the Warriors, and exceptional trust in Jerry West, so let’s see how that turns out in the next few years.

July 28th, 2011 2:50 pm

Yeah but 50 mpg..is gonna stretch out the diminishing fossil fuels. You could keep the ’78 Pickup and save mining for ores and never increase the plastic loads in the oceans. That’s what they by if you want to save the Earth keeping your old car as long as possible is best. I tried that…for trucks not so bad..for commuting it can be a living hell.
    Leasing a Prius might be best for the owner..by the time the batterys are shot..you havent been in that car in a decade..

July 28th, 2011 3:39 pm

“Thats what they mean”..yes,I’m watching the Giants. When you can’t type worth a damn-I admit it- distractions just make everything worse.

July 28th, 2011 3:42 pm

17. Bob In Pacifica

I got a Corolla that’s ten years old, built at NUMMI over in the East Bay. The dents it has received in the parking lot at Linda Mar are rusty, but she runs great.

Yes, Sabes pulled the trigger and it was good.

Get Nnamdi.

Santa Clara.

July 28th, 2011 6:19 pm

The Giants won- and with another Caribbean player on the team. Gee,Larry Krueger is baffled.

July 28th, 2011 6:21 pm

Congratulations to Sabean for acquiring Beltran. I would also give hin credit for picking up Keppinger who is a steady second baseman with a .283 career batting average. Sabean may make another acquisition before the trading deadline.

July 28th, 2011 10:38 pm

20. Dublin John

The guy gets one of the best hitters in baseball by outbidding both Atlanta and Philadelphia and only had to give up a Single-A pitcher with an ERA of 3.99 and a whip of 1.38 – not exactly the metrics of a pending superstar. I think we can file this trade under “genius”. Also you should consider the Mini Cooper, they are offering two year leases for 199/month and $2,800 at signing. It gets only about 35 mpg vs. 50 with the Prius but they are so cool looking. BTW, they are made by BMW.

July 29th, 2011 6:42 am

21. Joe H.

I can give you the Okay to get the Prius. But if I find you in the fast lane doing 45MPH….

You are in big trouble!!!

July 29th, 2011 10:42 am

Fair enough, Joe. I notice I drive slower in the Prius than in my Acura — soon to be Grant’s. But when I drive the Prius I stay in the far right lane and keep looking at the gas mileage meter while I feel smug.

July 29th, 2011 10:58 am

23. glenellen

Hey Stan, Larry Kruegar is coming back. Is gonna do the 49er pre game show with Damon.

July 29th, 2011 11:36 am