Here is the opening to my Tuesday column about the sorry state of Tim Lincecum:

The Giants need to send Tim Lincecum to the minor leagues.

That is an almost impossible thought to get your mind around. But there it is.

There are certain conditions. After the All-Star break, manager Bruce Bochy should give Lincecum two starts on the big-league squad. If Lincecum dazzles, then OK, he stays in the majors.

But if he gets murdered, something he has specialized in this season, the Giants should demote him.

To read the entire column, please click here.

Comments

I think a better solution is too DL him Lowell. Why send him down to have AAA batters lite him up? As George Brett said this morning, “Lincecum has no heat at 89-90,no control,and batters simply wait until he throws one belt high and down the middle”.
    DL,him for being underweight..and tell him he’s off the roster until he gets to 180-185. I read one poster guess Tim’s weight at a feathery 145..I dont think he’s that low..but no doubt he LOOKS it.
    Right now,running him out there to get his brains beat out is just a waste of time..it’s actually like the Giants telling Tim,dont worry-you dont need to change a thing,we are behind you all the way…and that’s the wrong message to a man who needs to change many things. At the present rate his career is dead ending.

July 9th, 2012 6:04 pm

2. G Fan

But bring him up for weak hitting teams at home where his ERA is 3.99.
    (On the road it’s 9.00).

July 9th, 2012 6:57 pm

3. Frank in Minnesota

Great points Lowell…the thing that is also most important is what Tim says: does he say the right things? look at how Zito acted (as you pointed out)….with class and grace…canTim be that way? Stan metioned Tim’s weight for a long while…obvious to see his strength is not there, nor his endurance…..

July 9th, 2012 7:55 pm

It would have to be single A because Fresno is over 105 degrees in the summer each day.

July 9th, 2012 8:12 pm

5. Lo Sbandato

But is that enough? What if he sucks at single A too?

I find myself agreeing with Stan again (ca-razy, ain’t it?) I seem to recall a story at the beginning of the season where Tim even bragged about losing weight. What weight? Did he lose a lung or his liver? An empty cardboard dox has more heft than he does. I don’t know if there’s a short-term, in-season fix for that, unless there’s nothing to eat in Fresno except cheeseburgers and taco truck burritos (not impossible, I admit).

July 9th, 2012 9:41 pm

I have to agree with everything you said in that article. If Lincecum had only won half his starts they would be in first place by 3 games right now.
    I would give him one more start against Houston next Saturday. If he pitches ok then give him another . If he crumbles then send him down because it is not fair to the other 24 players on the team who are chasing the Western Division Title. If the Giants get into the playoffs anything can happen.

This is the Big Leagues and he has to act like a man if he is sent down. He is killing the Giants now.

July 10th, 2012 3:26 am

7. lameduck

Ok. DL. Minors. Bullpen? Trade him? Miss a start? What are the options …The question has neen out there about how much rope does Lincecum get…LC has put out there 2 games.
    I’m in the camp iof just do something. It’s not woeking so try something different. I’d like to see a sweep of the Astros. I wonder ehat the rotation eill look like. Where is Sadowski when you need him?

July 10th, 2012 7:12 am

I think you give him a choice, right now. Go on DL until we can figure this out or we need to bring in another pitcher or go to the minors and work it out. I don’t think pitching another game in the majors is useful at this point.

July 10th, 2012 7:40 am

9. Zach

Needs to add “good weight”; strengthen his core and lower-body…even if it means reducing his flexability slightly. Probably best if he goes to the minors for 3-4 weeks to strengthen and rebuild his confidence.

Question: Who starts every fifth day? My guess is Brad Penny…conspiracy side of me believes they signed him for this very reason.

July 10th, 2012 7:45 am

10. Tommy CostaRica

Good idea Stan, he has no lower body strength. It’s all in the legs, it begins with the legs and thighs, pitching, hitting, running, just about everything in athletics. He’s way too wimpy, not even Lassie could save him now!

July 10th, 2012 8:43 am

With all respect, forget the minors…whatever physical problem he has won’t get solved in the bus league…

Speaking as a father with three knucklehead sons…I’d ship him to Arizona where I could watch his every move…and teach him to take care of himself like a grown up…nutritionists…couch time…weight training…whatever it takes…hand him to the professionals for a month and see what comes out of it…

I’d also take his cell phone away and tell his father to stay in Seattle…this kid is obviously at a crossroads and it’s in everyone’s interests to staighten him out…

July 10th, 2012 8:55 am

Pretty absurd really. Timmy is the one guy you give the longest rope to. I start him all year long. I believe he’ll work his way out. Count our blessings that Zito at least is a marginal pitcher this year. The big picture is that we play in a weak division and have a good chance at winning, even with Timmy struggling. If he comes out of it, as I believe he will, we are a serious contender.

July 10th, 2012 11:10 am

To think…we could have been calling up Wheeler right about now…temporarily I mean…
    *ALOHA*

July 10th, 2012 12:05 pm

And my thanks to you guys for the credit. I was getting cynical..but now I see people can give some credit to an average dude for the right call.

July 10th, 2012 12:20 pm

15. mendozaline

I don’t know what is wrong with Lincecum and I don’t know how to fix it. But getting Lincecum back to being a top flight pitcher again is more important to the Giants than any harm he might cause them this year. Sabean spoke of “a window of opportunity” that opened for the Giants in 2010. That window is closed this year. If the Giants can get Lincecum fixed and sign him for 5 years, they will have 3 really good starters for a long time. Lowell, you might even be retired by the time the 3 are all gone.

July 10th, 2012 12:31 pm

I will say this-I wasn’t with the crowd in wondering whats wrong with Tim in 2010. And I’m not now in the crowd that says “Tim’s power is gone forever”..No,I say if Tim could find it in him to weigh a proper weight…that 96+ mph fastball WILL comeback, the location WILL comeback. I know it will.

July 10th, 2012 2:18 pm

17. Bob In Beaverton

“Hey, Sabes. Remember that $100 million contract that I turned down last winter?”

July 10th, 2012 6:04 pm

18. m. walsh

Tommy Hall, the lefthander known as “The Blade” with the Cincinnati Reds for years, was about 145 pounds and nobody ever questionned him about his weight. He threw in the 90′s, too. Of course, his weight did not fluctuate by 40 pounds, either. Timmy’s wind-up is much more unorthodox than many, too. I don’t think “The Blade” had a weed problem either. Quite a few factors contributing to Timmy’s demise at this moment, including his mental state.

July 10th, 2012 6:05 pm

if he continues to pitch well at home then forget the minors. Bochy needs to keep him on a short leash on the road. Timmy needs to hit GNC and munch on a bunch of creatine to give those leg muscles a boost……..that is if creatine is legal in the MLB.

July 10th, 2012 6:44 pm

20. lameduck

I see that Timmy is pitching on Saturday. So far, the post All Star rotation goes: Bumgarner, Lincecum, Cain. Start number one is against the Astro’s at home. Lincecum faces Wandy Rodriguez who is a pretty good pitcher so Lincecum has to pitch well.
    It’s a night game so it should be cool out and the temperature is supposed to drop by the weekend.

I’ll predict 3 runs, 6 innings, 5K’s. Is that good enough? Definitely not dazzling but an improvement.

July 11th, 2012 2:48 pm