Now that Melky Cabrera, aka the Melk Man, has signed with Toronto, here are some questions for you. Would you have preferred for the Giants to make an offer to Cabrera? Would you have preferred for the Giants to keep him? Why/Why not?

Comments

He showed a lack of class with his teammates and the stupid phony web-site, don’t think he had the guts to come back. They will need a new outfielder,although Sabean loves to over pay for for free agents and resigning of contracts that will expire. Pagan is good but not great and Hamilton is way too much of a risk, they have that great minor league prospect in Gary Brown, he is great for stealing bases and hits for average , although he only hit 7 homeruns in Double A. I say NO.

November 17th, 2012 11:41 am

He was MVP of the all star game..and averaging near .360? Why not if he came back cheap? The Giants don’t badmouth Bonds or Mota or JP Sanagelo do they?
    And its curious about Vogy..and curiouser that Zito being a teammate himself has a miraculous season a year after meeting Vogelsong.

Its all like a Alice in Wonderland story with the Giants…including the drugs(love that hooka smoking scene-now,it would be done in a Benz) alluded to in that classic..

November 17th, 2012 11:54 am

Oh, and I see Panda’s Giraffe’s and groups of Milk men..I must be high!

November 17th, 2012 11:55 am

4. Tommy CostaRica

It’s a huge loss for the Giants! I’ve expressed my opinion here many times on roids, it’s not an evil transgression. I present you Lance Armstrong, Berry Bonds and Roger Clemens as some of the most entertaining athletes of all time as having been wronged by self righteous religious nuts. I put them in the same category as women that feel the need to get an abortion, but cannot because of societal right wing religious beliefs. It’s your body and no governing committee of do gooders has the right to tell you what you can and cannot do with it!!!!!!! :-)

November 17th, 2012 12:03 pm

Stan,

Those stats are from his roids he might sucked without them, he was horrible when he played for the Braves.

November 17th, 2012 12:31 pm

You don’t bring him back because if he’s off the juice he’s the player the Braves released…if he’s on the juice, he contributes until he gets sloppy and fails another drug test…
    Even the Giants, with their ‘see no evil’ approach to PEDs, don’t want any part of that

November 17th, 2012 12:37 pm

7. mike

Tommy CostaRica – What have you been smoking????? Abortion and the taking of a life rate a bit higher on the pecking order of wrongs than injecting oneself with a performance enhancing drug. If a league in which you freely participate has rules and regulations governing behavior and use or non-use of PEDs, how does that exempt a player from abiding with those rules? A player goes in ahead of time knowing the parameters under which he must conform. If the player decides to go outside the box, it is his free choice, but he also must be willing to suffer the consequences if infractions are detected.

Melky needed to go. Sorry, but I have no sorrow for Lance Armstrong, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds. They have shamed themselves and besmirched the sports in which they have participated.

November 17th, 2012 12:43 pm

Next year,the Giants change their theme song to the SF natives Jefferson’s Airplane “Go ask Alice”..

November 17th, 2012 12:44 pm

9. lameduck

The story would have been a distraction. Melk will get a ring. Also he signed with a team that’s trying to win. The Giants are moving on. Now, if we sign Bourn, i’ll be happy.

November 17th, 2012 1:03 pm

10. Johan Knaven

For $2 million yes, but not for what Toronto paid Melky. Not juiced he’ll probably be a .280 hitter with limited power. Giants best make a move to replace what Melky provided for 1/2 a season last year.

November 17th, 2012 1:24 pm

11. Tommy CostaRica

Stan I’m with you, “I must be high!” The problem is you can’t get the good stuff down here! Sports is only entertainment and in keeping the youth of America in mind, it’s time to strip all the gold records from bands like the Beatles and Led Zepplin for suspected illegal substance abuse! Never mind that Keith Richards will outlive us all!

November 17th, 2012 2:16 pm

12. Dr. Feelgood

I’m not saying the Giants were lucky, but EVERYTHING broke right for them in the post-season. So forget Melky, he’s history, but think about what happens when/if Panda’s power stroke goes back into hibernation- who delivers a consistent deep ball threat outside of Buster? The pitching will keep them competitive, but I’d feel a lot more comfy with a more productive left fielder, and we’re all banking on Belt taking the next big step. Still a few “ifs”.

November 17th, 2012 2:18 pm

True-they all seem to have productions drop after being caught.
    But, Ryan Braun and Big Pappy for the Red Sox….

November 17th, 2012 2:19 pm

14. Steve

I agree 100% with every point Mike makes. I didn’t want him back when he bailed on the team and revelations of the phony website came out. The guy is a total loser. The Giants had a better record without him. I still think Pablo was the MVP of the All Star Game (check out the box score if you don’t remember), but he was denied because of the backlash of the Santa Cruz incident that was happening at the time. Sign Pagan to a reasonable contract and groom Gary Brown. Blanco proved to be a valuable part of the team and I trust him in left field now that he has a full season of experience. Toronto is spending a lot of money on questionable players; I look forward to it blowing up a la the Angels.

November 17th, 2012 2:24 pm

15. lance w

Mike- thanks for dealing w Tommie Costa Rica. I think the giants are #1 in running for josh Hamilton.

November 17th, 2012 4:59 pm

16. RednGold1

I backed Barry Bonds from the beginning, through all the time he was on the field and I back him now. But don’t ask me to back a second player. I’m just too exhausted from backing the first. Barry: Yes. Anyone else: No.
    If that’s weird, so be it. That’s how I feel.

November 17th, 2012 5:05 pm

17. Albert Park

It’s good that Melky will be someone else’s problem next year.

November 17th, 2012 5:49 pm

18. russell

My first thought is pretty much “good riddance to bad rubbish”, but when I take emotion out of it then I agree with some here – IF they could have gotten him back on the cheap, then MAYBE you bring him back if the players in the locker room are okay with that. At least if he was “cheap” (I struggle to call multi-millions cheap), maybe he would come back humble and hungry and you get some value out of him.

November 17th, 2012 9:14 pm

19. KezarMike

I would have liked to have seen Melky come back, but there simply MUST have been some very bad feelings about him from a number of the other players on the team. I can think of no other explanation of why the Giants wouldn’t have stayed in touch and tried to sign him. This is not an organization which is squeamish about players who have this in their past. Had to be that certain players didn’t want him on the team anymore.

November 18th, 2012 6:07 am

20. Scott

The Giants management made the appropriate decision. Melky left the team, without as much as an apology to his teammates. Why…so he could get the big contract.

We don’t need him and thankfully the Giants feel the same way. Buster Posey was highlighting the great catches made by Blanco all year (I think that was his way of saying he didn’t want Melky back) at his MVP news conference. We are witnessing history with the pitching, defense and clutch hitting. If you want to call that luck go right ahead and we should see you in the playoffs for the next few years!

November 18th, 2012 8:36 am

Nobody see’s the contradiction of bashing Melky for roids…then say “sign Hamilton” who has drank or abused every drug around?

November 18th, 2012 11:14 am