I woke up Wednesday morning to discover the Giants have signed Marco Scutaro to a three year deal. Good. This, I believe, is an even more important signing than Angel Pagan — and signing him was very important. The Giants also signed Jeremy Affeldt — key — but they have not signed Brian Wilson. If you can put sentiment aside, I think the Giants no longer need Wilson, especially after two surgeries. They have an excellent bullpen without him. I get the sense they have moved on.

Comments

1. Brady

I hope they re-sign Wilson. He brought a lot of energy and camaraderie to the team, which proved to be intangibles that helped them win the world series.

I agree that they don’t need him anymore, but it sure would be nice. As good as Romo is, he only has a half season of experience in that capacity. And, as The Beard proved, an injury can throw a bullpen for a loop. They don’t need him per se, but boy I’m salivating at the thought of Romo setting up Wilson and vice versa.

Also, if the Giants do decide to retain him, I think they should slightly overpay. He helped the team last year, even though he was injured. I know he still got paid then, but it’s common, acceptable, and appropriate protocol to never see your team once you’re injured. He was not at all expected to be there, yet he operated as a coach, helping and training the young relievers. I believe he deserves some recognition for that.

December 5th, 2012 8:51 am

Plus Sergio Romo brings his own beard to the game, so there is no need for Wilson on any level.

December 5th, 2012 8:59 am

3. JNC1975

Agreed! If Alex Smith can be replaced as 49ers QB, from injury, than Brian Wilson should be permanently replaced by Romo. Romo is “The Man” now.

December 5th, 2012 9:42 am

4. glenellen

They don’t fear his beard. They would like him at a lower price though, they say.

Do you think Sergio Romo and his slider can close a whole season ?

Another thing, they just won a WS. Do they have more $$$ than we know ?

Can they pick up another pitcher as well as an outfielder ?

-I think they have the money to do this but I’m not sure if they will spend. They have big contracts that will be up next year. Like a couple of starting pitcher contracts.

December 5th, 2012 9:47 am

5. gary

I am very glad Scutaro and Pagan will be with
    the Giants next year. I do wish each contract
    was shorter by a year, but it was a pretty
    think free agent market.
    If Brian Wilson would sign a relativley low cost
    contract, full of incentives (ie to make sure
    he can really pitch), that would be great too.

December 5th, 2012 10:06 am

6. Steve the cat rescuer

Love the Pagan and Scutaro signings, but wish they were a year shorter. Wilson was paid to perform, not as a cheerleader, so he got a free ride last year. I would like to see him back with a contract of low upfront $$$ loaded with incentives. But judging by what the market is paying for very marginal players (Victorino and Russell Martin come immediately to mind) that’s not going to happen, so Bye Bye Beard. I’m okay with Blanco, but Michael Bourne is still available and that tandem in left combined with Pence and Pagan would make one hell of an outfield. And I trust the judgement of Sabean and Bochy a lot more than Harbaugh.

December 5th, 2012 10:38 am

7. lameduck

Wilson’s style of closing is torture. He walks people. He gets the save, but he walks people. IMHO he was the cause of the torture slogan. I’d take him back as long as we get a left fielder, too.

I’m hoping Hembree comes around this year but he has to develop more pitches and stay healthy.

December 5th, 2012 12:08 pm

To me, Wilson likes the spotlight a little too much anyways.
    Did you guy see him at the ESPYs with the beard hanging and that stupid tuxedo shirt?
    It seems like he worries more about his image, as rediculous as it is, than he does about playing ball.
    Let him walk and let Romo grow into the closing roll.
    Somebody will give Wilson mad money and then regret it a year or so later.
    Good luck Brian.
    ~ALOHA~
    P.S. I’d hate to see him in Dodger blue though.
    That’d sting a bit…

December 5th, 2012 1:15 pm

9. lameduck

Apologies for the double post, but I’d also like to see the fans paid back by not raising ticket prices, especially for the season ticket holders. Yes, I like the signings but don’t always make the signings on our backs.

December 5th, 2012 1:23 pm

10. DougA

If you are doing bullpen be committee, then why not have Wilson in the mix. Sign him with an appreciation bonus, but with a performance based contract that vest with performance, and with team options. The two surgeries present risk that is hard to measure.

The signings of Scutaro, Pagan, and Affeldt, show why Sabean is a top GM, and the Giants are a destination team finally. Now if we could sign Swisher as a LF . . .

December 5th, 2012 1:54 pm

I am happy about the Giant signing, both contracts are not excessive like Rowand and Zito. I agree with you about Wilson, don’t think he will find another club that will sign him for a multi year deal until he proves himself next season. If Gary Brown makes the club in the next two years, perhaps one of them will move to left.

December 5th, 2012 3:19 pm

12. Paul

With the exception of catcher and third base, the Dodgers are offensively stronger at every position on the diamond. When LA signs Greinke, they’ll also have a better starting rotation.

Giants ownership group is counting and spending their money, which of course they have the right to do. Giant fans have been duped into thinking this is a small market team…it isn’t. They fill the stadium and they’ve made extra mega millions since 2010.

The Giants can absolutely afford Josh Hamilton and they aren’t in the mix (that we know of).

The Dodgers dynasty begins in a few months.

December 5th, 2012 3:20 pm

13. Jim Bancroft

Scutaro is a good player but is old, and not getting any younger. The Giants I hope, are prepared to eat the last year or even two of this contract. I don’t know the specifics but I hope they didn’t commit to some ridiculous Aubrey Huff-like sums, with similar guarantees.

December 6th, 2012 8:23 am

14. lameduck

As I am a Michael Bourn fan, his agent is Scott Boras and despite how well he’d fit into the team, it bugs me when a player has a known jerk for an agent. He definitely gets the best deal for his clients – ala Zito. I’d bet Boras has something to do with the Strasburg shut down last season. I wouldn’t deal with players who used him as an agent.

December 6th, 2012 9:52 am

15. Dave T

Love the Pagan, Affeldt and Scutaro signings. I think they got value all the way around. Like any other fan I would love to see Wilson back, but I alo think they proved they can win without him. Romo appears so far to be durable and reliable in the role. If Wilson will sign for less and sign with an incentive laden deal, then do it, otherwise, not so much. I really like how this team has been built and what they are trying to accomplish. The core is very strong and I think they really believe the window to contend and win more championships is now. Would I love to see them sign a big bat to play left? Sure, but I realize that is a dream more than reality. Bottom line is this, to me the biggest challenge the Giants face is making the post season. If they can do that, with their pitching, they are one of the scariest teams in baseball. And one of my friends, who is a Dodger fan agrees with me and then some. To me, that says it all.

December 6th, 2012 2:55 pm

It would be nice to have both beards Wilson and Romo on the squad. The Giants are built on pitching and defense with some good timely hitting. I say see how his arm is in Spring training. If Wilson can go then sign him. He is a good teammate and good for the Giants marketing department. Besides Lowell, won’t you miss him? You said once that Wilson was fun to interview.

December 6th, 2012 8:32 pm